Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Equalization

PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:55 AM Local time: Oct 8, 2006, 10:55 PM #1 of 6
Equalization

I hope this is the right place to put this. So, I need some opinions. I'm trying my hand at a different way of equalizing the particular audio files (sermons, voice only) that I work on. Until I got a headphone with a flat bass response, I never realized just now bass-light I was mastering everything. See, the reason I have to add bass is because the signal going to the recorder doesn't pass through our mixing console's equalizer. We use the effects send to send a completely clean signal to the recorder. The signal going to the loudspeakers, however, is equalized and much more bassy.

The clean signal is very flat and lifeless. I added a small hump in the bass and lower midrange to "fullen" the sound and make it closer to how it sounds in the main hall, and also to make it sound bigger and more authoritative. This is my first time doing this, and I want your opinions on how it sounds, particularly if you're using speakers. (Note, I'm talking about the frequency response only, so don't mention things like mp3 artifacting...) I tested it on my own Klipsch Promedia setup, and it sounded great. It even sounds fine on my mid-bass heavy Grados, but I want to use other peoples' ears, just to be sure. I'm afraid it might sound a little thick on some systems. I want this to be right before I send it out duplication. The high frequencies have also been equalized for loudspeaker playback. (A gradual rise starting at roughly 2khz up to +5dB at 10khz).

My primary concern is that anyone playing this back may be using a low-fi system, possibly with some kind of bass-boost or loudness feature activated. My speakers are equalized for a percieved flat response in this particular room, most peoples' aren't. I need to know if I should reduce the bass or not.

Any help is appreciated.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; Oct 9, 2006 at 01:17 AM.
djiscool619
Cress Albane

Member 13512

Level 8.73

Oct 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 03:24 AM #2 of 6
Try goldwave there is a feature that can increase the bass of a song/audio file

There's nowhere I can't reach.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 06:56 AM Local time: Oct 9, 2006, 04:56 AM #3 of 6
That's not very helpful. I've already increased the bass with a graphic equalizer, now I'm trying to find out how it sounds on other peoples' systems.

How ya doing, buddy?

Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:54 PM Local time: Oct 9, 2006, 10:54 AM #4 of 6
Agreed, the bass is a bit light. I'm on a Logitech 5.1 system. Did you want my impression of how much bass you have yet to add or if I just thought it sounded fine? Because it sounds fine, but when I maxed my subwoofer, there wasn't nearly enough bass as there normally whould have been.
That helpful?

Most amazing jew boots
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 01:01 PM Local time: Oct 9, 2006, 11:01 AM #5 of 6
Interesting. On my Promedia 4.1 system it almost sounded a little too bassy. I'm also working under the assumption that most of the people buying these (old ladies and churchgoers) probably don't have subwoofers or even freestanding speakers. A lot of them will probably listening in their cars. There's also the fact that different people have different opinions on what is acceptable basswise.

I suppose this is why I need multiple opinions.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; Oct 9, 2006 at 01:52 PM.
Slogra
Wark!

Member 1085

Level 3.62

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 01:53 PM #6 of 6
It sounds fine to me

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Equalization