Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

What is with the popularity of sandals and flip-flops?

DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 05:44 PM #1 of 100
What is with the popularity of sandals and flip-flops?

I never understood it, except for the beach because you don't want to get sand in your shoes.

But in the spring and summer you see people walking around with sandals and flip flops. Forget about the look, to me that is irrelevant. I don't get why people say they are comfortable and keeps your feet cool. For one, feet get hot, but it isn't something that you ever notice. Out of all the parts of your body, feet being hot is the least noticable and most tolerable. To me, feet getting hot has never ever bothered me once in my entire life. It just isn't something that makes a person uncomfortable.

As for the comfort itself of having freedom to wiggle your toes and move around, to me it is less comfortable to have your feet out in the open. They get dry because there is less sweat and moisture build up, and to me nothing is worse than having dry feet. It just feels so uncomfortable. Also you always have that feeling that it is so easy to scrape up your feet.

I don't know, I just never got it. I love wearing sneaks all day every day. I wear them inside, outside, and only don't wear them while sleeping. To me it is much more comfortable having a secureness around your feet. I couldn't fathom not wearing shoes or sneaks.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 05:55 PM #2 of 100
I wear them year round (in the northeast, to boot). My feet are somehow never cold. They're just so convenient. No looking for socks, just slip in and go. I bought mine for $5 at American Eagle and I've had them for almost 2 years.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Acacia
Chocobo

Member 1401

Level 12.13

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 06:07 PM #3 of 100
I'm definitely more of a sneaker person, but I do like wearing flip-flops every now and then.

Like what Will said, they're very convienent and hassle-free. The weather also gets pretty hot in my campus, and it's annoying to me when my feet get all slick and icky (maybe I'm not wearing the right kind of socks..?)

Don't care much 'bout fashion, and I don't like sandals at all, but flip-flops are alright

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 06:18 PM #4 of 100
Weird. My feet have never gotten sticky or icky. I play basketball in the summer too with black sneaks and thick socks.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 06:27 PM #5 of 100
I understand the appeal of sandals solely (pun intended) from a hassle-free point of view. Wearers don't need socks or have to worry about their shoelaces coming untied. Things can't get lost in sandals.

I myself wear sneakers and am not a fan of sandals, as I don't like my feet to exposed. That might have something to do with a childhood accident, though.

I was speaking idiomatically.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 06:37 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 06:37 PM #6 of 100
I wear flip-flops occasionally, but mostly sneakers. For some people it's a trend sorta thing, but for others it's just convenience or comfort. I wear 'em for, honestly, a little bit of both. Sometimes they look better with particular clothes than sneakers do, but other times they're just more comfortable or it's too much of a hassle to put on socks and sneakers.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
TCK
I am the horseman

Member 230

Level 11.26

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 06:45 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 11:45 PM #7 of 100
The reason I don't wear sandals or flip-flops is that I don't like the idea of straps on my feet. I thought that was what it was for most people who don't wear them.

FELIPE NO
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 06:48 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 06:48 PM #8 of 100
I wore sandals once for a dress-up day in grade school. Never again. Fuckin' things rubbed my feet RAW. Was horrible.

I wear sneakers and don't regret it. I can't imagine having my feet bare in public like that. Although, I do walk around barefoot around the house and in the yard.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 06:56 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 06:56 PM #9 of 100
I used to think the same-- that it was kinda pointless to wear sandals if you're not going to the beach or something, especially because I always thought socks + shoes were more comfortable. Recently, though, I've taken to wearing them a lot more often, just because they're easy to put on and take off.

So if I'm in a hurry, or if I'm only going to be gone from the house for a little bit, then I'll wear them instead of socks and sneakers.

So basically, it's a laziness thing~

Duo Maxwell
like this

Member 1139

Level 18.35

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 06:56 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 03:56 PM #10 of 100
I live in San Diego, so it's either skate-shoes or flip-flops.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Posting without content since 2002.
Fiddlegoof
Chicken butt!

Member 16189

Level 13.88

Nov 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:13 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 05:13 PM #11 of 100
In the summer I sometimes wear the sandals with the one big strap over the foot, but I could never wear the ones with the single toe strap. What the hell? So many people (especially girls) wear them at my school in the late spring to summer, but I could never stand it. The strap just wore away at the gap between my toes, resulting in irritating rashes and painful blisters. I prefer comfort, so I usually wear regular skate shoes or runners.

How ya doing, buddy?
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:27 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 06:27 PM #12 of 100
First of all... I got 2 for $5 at Old Navy... I don't have to tie my shoes... my feet dont get hot... and they flip-flop. Case closed.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:31 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 05:31 PM 1 #13 of 100
I wear sandals pretty much year round. This job I just got won't let me wear them so that's just gonna ruin my happy feet. That and my sandals all have bottle openers on the bottom because you never know when you're gonna wanna enjoy a cold Newcastle and have no bottle opener to open them with.

Most amazing jew boots
J-Man
Taller than a tree

Member 102

Level 23.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:58 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 05:58 PM #14 of 100
I always wear my sandals in the summer. They prevent the feet from "slimy ickiness" and I just find them easier and more comfortable in warmer weather than shoes. I am firmly against those retarded foam shoes with holes in them though....

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:15 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 09:15 AM #15 of 100
I'm in Philippines. So it's either flip-flops or barefoot. Fip-flops is the standard footwear in this country. Almost everyone wears it if they're just at home or in the neighborhood. Some even wear it when going to the mall, etc.

FELIPE NO
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:20 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 06:20 PM #16 of 100
I'm very much a loafer-shoe or sneaker/tennis-shoe type person. My job will not allow sandals or open-toe shoes pretty much (dress shoes I can get away with somewhat even if my toes are showing, depends on the outfit).

I wear sandals/flip-flops to:
1) go take out the trash
2) when I need to step outside for any period less than 30 minutes (this is assuming I was already at home)
3) if it's over 80 degrees outside (which is all of... 14 days throughout the year here in the beach areas of Los Angeles) and going outside to NOT work
4) if I'm going to the beach (once a year)
5) if I'm going to the pool to take a swim (once a year, if that at all)
6) and lastly, if I'm getting a pedicure (about 2-3 times a year).

I wear sandals more often than not for functional uses obviously... funny how I need them more for my toes to be exposed to dry after a pedicure more often than I need them to match my swimming suit because I'm either going to the pool/beach (which is hardly ever).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:28 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 05:28 PM #17 of 100
I wear sandals pretty much year round. This job I just got won't let me wear them so that's just gonna ruin my happy feet.
Complain of racial discrimination. They're infringing upon your right to follow in the path of the many generations of sandal-wearing Mexicans before you!

n8thegr898
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 22325

Level 2.00

Apr 2007

Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:35 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 08:35 PM #18 of 100
Sandals

Sandal equate freedom to me. Something about wearing nothing on your feet. Sandals meet the bare minimum...yet your feet still get a little freedom.

How ya doing, buddy?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:45 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 11:45 AM #19 of 100
I wear thongs all the time (THE FEET KIND.. unless..), and yeah for the beach they are pretty useless. Especially if you're wearing the rubber ones, because that heats up and start melting the magical spot between your big toe and the not so big toe next door. They're quick to chuck on, and you can easily fling them off your foot and into someones face. What's not to love?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 09:11 PM #20 of 100
I hate having anything on my feet. Sandals are a huge comfort boost over socks and tennis shoes, plus it's easier to take them off when I'm sitting and relaxing somewhere. Thus, as soon as it gets warm enough I start wearing them and don't stop until Marching Band Season and/or winter.

PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 09:23 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 07:23 PM #21 of 100
I never wear sandals, ever. I don't like the open and unprotected feeling, and many of them are a lot stiffer and have poorer foot and ankle support than a good pair of shoes.

I also love socks. There's nothing like a good pair of socks, especially if they're brand new and/or fresh out of the dryer. Sandals and socks don't mix, especially if the sandals have a toe strap.

Right now I have a pair of hurleys that I found at a Good Will store. They're very comfortable and easy to slip on and off. They are one of the best pairs of shoes that I've had.

Originally Posted by DragoonKain
To me, feet getting hot has never ever bothered me once in my entire life. It just isn't something that makes a person uncomfortable.
I don't know. Sometimes, my feet get pretty damn hot at night when I'm sleeping, and that bothers me a lot.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; Apr 23, 2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Mehdit
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:24 PM #22 of 100
Man, whats up with the sandal/flip-flop hate. If it were up to me, I'd be wearing them year-round.

They're excellent. They're down to earth. They're easy to maintain. You can slip them on and off, at will.

I don't know why people DONT wear them more often. Myself, I have NEVER liked sneakers. They're too....constricting. They make your feet soft and weak, which I hate to even think of.

I'd prefer going barefoot, but thats not allowed in public so much. I used to walk barefoot in high school like an asshole, though. Summertime would come around and there I would be, walking the halls without shoes.

Most amazing jew boots
whinehurst
It's a Psudonym.

Member 9766

Level 14.57

Jul 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:35 PM #23 of 100
Wow, I'm surprised at how many people say they'd feel "unprotected" in sandals. I can't understand it. Going barefoot/ sandals all the time I've got some pretty tough feet, and the only way they'd get scratched or whatever is if i decided to walk through rose bushes or something. Anything more serious then that, well, sneaks are exactly made out of Kevlar, you know. Plus, flip flops are great for going to class or at my work, when i can just sit down, kick them off, and wander barefoot. Nobody cares, it's awesome.

Man, shoes suck so much. I absolute hate having to wear shoes, and only do it occasionally when if it rains, or the terrain is a concern, or i'm walking for a long while. Hell, if I could I'd go barefoot 24/7, rain or shine. Trust me, Dragoon, once you go without shoes for as long as I have, having hot feet is the MOST uncomfortable and the LEAST tolerable thing for me. I'd rather have an itchy asshole then hot and sweaty feet all confined in shoes.

FELIPE NO
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:43 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 08:43 PM #24 of 100
Quote:
Going barefoot/ sandals all the time I've got some pretty tough feet, and the only way they'd get scratched or whatever is if i decided to walk through rose bushes or something.
Speaking of walking, I do a lot of it, sometimes as much as 6-10 miles per day. Sandals are not good for walking, especially when you're going at a very brisk pace, because they keep coming away from your heel and flopping around. They feel insecure, like you have to hold on with your toes to keep them from coming off. Give me a good pair of running shoes any day. Sometimes, I will also walk through the woods or through a field, something I would never do in sandals with all of the chiggers and bugs around here.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; Apr 23, 2007 at 10:45 PM.
whinehurst
It's a Psudonym.

Member 9766

Level 14.57

Jul 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:00 PM #25 of 100
Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
Speaking of walking, I do a lot of it, sometimes as much as 6-10 miles per day. Sandals are not good for walking, especially when you're going at a very brisk pace, because they keep coming away from your heel and flopping around. They feel insecure, like you have to hold on with your toes to keep them from coming off. Give me a good pair of running shoes any day. Sometimes, I will also walk through the woods or through a field, something I would never do in sandals with all of the chiggers and bugs around here.
A valid point, which is why i wear them if i'm forced into similar situations; airports mostly, or camping. But still, it sucks big time for me.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > What is with the popularity of sandals and flip-flops?