Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] J-Pop: An Introduction (and discussion)

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 07:54 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 12:54 PM #151 of 609
The question of titles I have no interest in, though I will agree with where Technophile is coming from (I think there's a large chunk of misinterpretation going on in the arguement there).

One thing I will say is I totally agree with the last paragraph above. I actually really like EXODUS because it tries to be different. Selling out would envolve making generic pop that peope would lap up, something Hikki along with Island-Def-Jam would have been more than capable of. She didn't though, she went down this quirky road trying out variations on known styles and while they didn't always work 100% they were always interesting. I'm glad she's back focussing on her Japanese music, and I'm so over the moon that a new album is on its way (been waiting for that annoucement for ages), but I disagree that EXODUS was a bad thing or not worthwhile.

Oh and yeah, Younha is definitely Korean and I say Younha because that's the way it is spelt on the cover art:

I definitely recommend checking out her album, certainly if you liked the couple of singles she put out.

FELIPE NO
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:36 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 11:36 AM #152 of 609
Would anyone here know about a Japan Group called "Lamp".

I've been trying to find some of their albums but haven't yet

Double Post:
Actually, the specific album I'm looking for is Lamp / gentle breeze apartment 201

You know what. Does anyone know any good Jpop and Jrock torrent or download sites that release their music in VBR?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by vuigun; Apr 23, 2006 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Flara
yours only

Member 4638

Level 10.40

Apr 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:13 PM #153 of 609
Originally Posted by soniclover
You know what. Does anyone know any good Jpop and Jrock torrent or download sites that release their music in VBR?
What VBR? I know http://www.jpopsuki.com has one of the BIGGEST JPop trackers. They use Bit-torrent.

EDIT:
btw.. I'm not sure if I should put it here but... I just heard UVERworld's NEWEST song, Colors of the Heart and omg.. I LOVE IT!!! I also saw the PV and I think Takuya is getting hotter and hotter in each PV ooooh...

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Flara; Apr 23, 2006 at 10:19 PM.
Trigunnerz
!!!

Member 814

Level 22.27

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:33 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 07:33 PM #154 of 609
I wanna be a pop star~

I think Ken Hirai is great!

http://youtube.com/w/Ken-Hirai--POP-...%20star-%20ken

What suprised me a bit is that his fully Japanense.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Dance party!

Last edited by Trigunnerz; Apr 23, 2006 at 11:03 PM.
Lee-chan
~キラキラ・マジック~

Member 1899

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:04 PM #155 of 609
Yeah, Ken's an oldie but a goodie. I'd thought that he wasn't 100% Japanese as well. POP STAR's a really catchy one. ^_^

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
soulsteelgray
And now for something new

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:15 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 11:15 PM #156 of 609
Originally Posted by Flara
btw.. I'm not sure if I should put it here but... I just heard UVERworld's NEWEST song, Colors of the Heart and omg.. I LOVE IT!!! I also saw the PV and I think Takuya is getting hotter and hotter in each PV ooooh...
Pop-rock, perhaps?

UVERworld let me down a lot with just Melody and the subsequent offering found on Timeless; the album, as a whole, put me to sleep. Colors of the Heart partially restored my faith in the band.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 06:02 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 11:02 PM #157 of 609
Originally Posted by Technophile
I've been really hooked on Otsuka Ai lately. Any word on the follow up album to LOVE COOK yet?
Whoa, easy there. We won't see another album until we've seen at least a couple more singles to say the least. Given the times between LOVE PUNCH and LOVE JAM I'd say we're looking at a November release at the very earliest.

I was speaking idiomatically.
soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 06:14 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 05:14 PM #158 of 609
I figured I should put in my two cents on Younha.

I loved her style of music right from the get-go with Houkiboshi, and the two follow-up singles (Motto Futari de and Touch; yeah yeah, I know Touch was a cover) had me hooked. However, I found Go! Younha to be mostly disappointing besides the excellent singles. There was just something lacking about the album that made me go, "Errrm..."

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 07:26 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 05:26 PM #159 of 609
Originally Posted by Technophile
I've been really hooked on Otsuka Ai lately. Any word on the follow up album to LOVE COOK yet?
In any case, you have plenty of time to get tired of the new single "Frienger". It's too addictive o_O The latest Oricon has it charting at #2 on the singles list.

FELIPE NO

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |

Last edited by Rollins; Apr 24, 2006 at 07:38 PM.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:23 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 09:23 AM #160 of 609
I think I reached the stage that I got tired of Jpop.

A friend of mine who runs negimaki.com, used to run lemolade.tv and jumbpshrimp.tv. These sites provide an online streaming playlist of Jpop bands for people to sample, he had a public ftp server full of jpop for anyone who wants to download, and even had his mini-tracker site. Basically he's the one who introduced me to my favorite bands like The Brilliant Green, Do As Infinity , and Every Little Thing.

And then, a year (or two) ago, he announced that he was going to shut down his Jpop service. He said that he has reached a point that his love for the music was not as great as before, although he still listens to some bands once in a while, it's not as frequent as before. He even gave away his CDs to some people, his friends, and relatives (I just got private ftp access before he killed it).

And I am afraid that I may be reaching the point where Jpop is losing it's appeal to me. I still listen to some bands, but not like before where my playlist plays Jpop 80-90% of the time. Probably due to lack of means of acquiring it, bands breaking up, or my dislike of the new songs and/or artists, I still do not know.

So I ask you, my dear friends, have you ever seen yourself reaching this point? Because I never thought I would.

What would you do?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Flara
yours only

Member 4638

Level 10.40

Apr 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 01:47 AM #161 of 609
Originally Posted by soulsteelgray
Pop-rock, perhaps?

UVERworld let me down a lot with just Melody and the subsequent offering found on Timeless; the album, as a whole, put me to sleep. Colors of the Heart partially restored my faith in the band.
Timeless did kinda let me down cuz a few of the tracks sucked a lot. But Just Melody is one of my faves and the coupling that came with the single, Revolve is also one of my faves too. I do like the fact that Takuya does so much for his band: He writes the lyrics, he writes the music and he produces his works. You can't really expect everything to be as perfect as D-technolife and Chance! so I guess it just shows that not everyone is perfect. But I do love Takuya for doing his best~

Colors of the Heart is something that I'm currently jumping around about. I even preorderd the single so I am REALLY hoping to see what's on the single since it is a CD+DVD release...
Quote:
UVERworld - Colors of the Heart
Expected Release Date: May 17, 2006

Tracklist
1) Colors of the Heart
2) Sora
3) Hitori ja nai kara (not alone?)

Source: http://www.yesasia.com
Romanji+translation: by Flara~
Originally Posted by vemp
And I am afraid that I may be reaching the point where Jpop is losing it's appeal to me. I still listen to some bands, but not like before where my playlist plays Jpop 80-90% of the time. Probably due to lack of means of acquiring it, bands breaking up, or my dislike of the new songs and/or artists, I still do not know.

So I ask you, my dear friends, have you ever seen yourself reaching this point? Because I never thought I would.

What would you do?
That happened to me once. My girlie fandom for wFL (w-inds., FLAME, Lead) died after one year. You see, I can never be as much of a fan for wFL as before but I'm still a fan, just not as crazy for them as before. Heck, I actually stopped stalking w-inds. for their newest songs and stuff. I left them after Ageha and never searched for more of them

Vempy, I think you'll still love JPop, but just not as much. Like me, I'm only interested in Sowelu, Koda Kumi and Morning Musume and some others... but there are some parts of me that's also trying to find that special flavor to bring me back to JPop fandom. So basically... relax... soon you're gonna get bored of those same songs and will end up at jpopsuki.com to search for some new songs.

Most amazing jew boots

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 02:16 AM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 07:16 AM #162 of 609
Well given you barely seem to keep up with what's going lately (or for a while now) on I can't say this news comes as much of a surprise Mr Vemp. However, I would imagine part of it is just that, you're not keeping up with what's going on, trying new acts and the such like. Given the sheer scope of the J-Pop market I'm sure there's something around at the moment you'd love.

But fair enough, I can understand shifting preferences, after all it's what led many of us to find things like J-Pop in the first place.

How ya doing, buddy?
soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 04:52 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 03:52 PM #163 of 609
Originally Posted by vemp
I still listen to some bands, but not like before where my playlist plays Jpop 80-90% of the time. Probably due to lack of means of acquiring it, bands breaking up, or my dislike of the new songs and/or artists, I still do not know.
I used to listen to nothing but J-pop, but I've either expanded into other genre of music found in Japan (J-urban, J-rock) or I've actually started listening to more English-language music. I don't really see it as something to worry about; I just go with the flow. It's music, after all.

vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 09:47 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 09:47 PM #164 of 609
I like Jpop at some times but mostly I can't really love unless it's an English version.

If I can't understand what the words that are being said in the song, then half of the song experience is gone for me. I need to know the lyrics.

Sometimes getting the translated lyrics of the net doesn't help either. Since the Japanese words don't really blend well when you're trying to sing the song in English. It's a little hard to explain.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Flara
yours only

Member 4638

Level 10.40

Apr 2006

Old Apr 28, 2006, 08:59 PM #165 of 609
I think Utada Hikaru's Passion is better than Sanctuary. For some reasons... the english version sound a bit.. weird to me (this includes Simple and Clean and Hikari). I don't exactly know how to explain it but it's like they try to make the lyrics work for the song, instead of the song working for the lyrics. I think it's that lil bit that makes Passion much better than Sanctuary.

And going back to the point about Simple and Clean and Hikari... I watched the Kingdom Hearts introduction many many times and I get a different feel from both English and Japanese version. Simple and Clean sounded a bit needy... I think it's cuz of how the lyrics were worded. And for Hikari the meaning in the lyrics is totally different than the ones in Simple and Clean I guess that's why the Japanese versions sounds better than the English versions.

Ps: Please don't hate me! lol...

pps: UVERworld rocks!!! I can't wait to find out what's on that DVD in the first-press edition of Colors of the Heart and I GOT GOOD NEWS ON SOWELU!!!!

Quote:
Sowelu - Dear Friend
Release Date: May 10, 2006

Description: The second single in 2006 is Fuji Television's Drama "Top Caster" opening song!!! This single includes: Special Photo "Jacket", and "Original Message Card"

Tracklist
1) Dear Friend
2) Yume
3) Dear Friend (instrumental)
4) Yume (instrumental)

source: http://www.yesasia.com
Translator: Flara~ (I tried my best... please correct me if Im wrong...)
Yeah!!! Now I have another thing to look forward to!!! weeeeeeeee

Technophile
With my hands...Be My Last

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old Apr 29, 2006, 02:25 AM #166 of 609
Originally Posted by Flara
I think Utada Hikaru's Passion is better than Sanctuary. For some reasons... the english version sound a bit.. weird to me (this includes Simple and Clean and Hikari). I don't exactly know how to explain it but it's like they try to make the lyrics work for the song, instead of the song working for the lyrics. I think it's that lil bit that makes Passion much better than Sanctuary.
Oh God yes, Sanctuary sucks. As if streching the lyrics to work around the songs wasn't bad enough, it's missing all those awsome and intrecate "Ooohs" & "Aaaah"s in the background that make Passion sound so much more full and ambient.

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 29, 2006, 08:34 AM Local time: Apr 29, 2006, 09:34 PM #167 of 609
Oh god yes.. Sanctuary sucks. Simple & Clean is tolerable, but my god Sanctuary sucks.

P.S. OP made me like Jpop again. I guess brits have special persuading powers when born. Must be the constant swearing.

FELIPE NO
Flara
yours only

Member 4638

Level 10.40

Apr 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:40 AM #168 of 609
hehe Technophile I so agree with the "ooohs" and "ahhhs"... they kinda... annoy me...

Welcome back VEMPY!!!! *huggles*

Most amazing jew boots

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:53 PM Local time: May 1, 2006, 01:53 AM #169 of 609
hi flara!

Now, I need to know what new bands/releases to download. Any recommendations?

How ya doing, buddy?
Flara
yours only

Member 4638

Level 10.40

Apr 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 12:32 AM #170 of 609
MORNING MUSUME - SEXY BOY
UVERworld - COLORS OF THE HEART (oh wait it's not released yet but there's a PV rip of the song floating on jpopsuki.com...)
umm... dammit i can't think of anything right now haha

oh wait... if u like m-flo...

M-flo loves RYOHEI YAMAMOTO - One Love
omg... I thought Ryohei was like... discontinuing his music or something I'm so glad m-flo brought him back... I miss his voice...

Utada Hikaru - PASSION (not sanctuary)
Sowelu - To You + Finally + anything by Sowelu... oh god Sowelu's the best!!!

lemme think of some more....

There's nowhere I can't reach.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 12:50 PM Local time: May 2, 2006, 05:50 PM #171 of 609
It's J-Pop pre-order day today. I've pre-ordered YUI's new single (because YUI = <3 * lots), Maaya Sakamoto's new double a-side single, Hikki's new album and Angela Aki's major label debut album (CD+DVD). Woot on all fronts. ^__^

Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 11:58 AM Local time: May 3, 2006, 09:58 AM #172 of 609
Cry amongst yourselves, Konno Asami and Ogawa Makoto to graduate in the summer (July and August respectively). Oddly enough, it seems that they're both doing so for academic reasons (Asami to try and get into university, Makoto to study abroad, but then again, Asami has been pegged as the smartest member in MM anyway). So no solo careers in the mix?

Music-wise, I've been playing the new Namie Amuro single ("Can't Sleep, Can't Eat, I'm Sick") far too much (to the point I'm almost wearing it out) but luckily I just got my hands on the new Ketsumeishi ("Tabibito") so I've been able to balance it out.

Also, I can't believe I missed out on getting Kaela's new(er) album "Circle" until just recently. Just more great stuff from her.

How ya doing, buddy?

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 06:26 PM Local time: May 4, 2006, 11:26 PM #173 of 609
Originally Posted by Rollins
Cry amongst yourselves, Konno Asami and Ogawa Makoto to graduate in the summer (July and August respectively). Oddly enough, it seems that they're both doing so for academic reasons (Asami to try and get into university, Makoto to study abroad, but then again, Asami has been pegged as the smartest member in MM anyway). So no solo careers in the mix?
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that (forget there's other H!P fans/curios on this forum). Meh, doesn't surprise me and would never have expected solo careers from either. They both would have gone the way of the Kei in H!P and been completely side-lined, randomly appearing from time to time on H!M and at concerts. I'm actually arriving in Japan on the day of Konno's graduation concert so I might see if I can make it to that, though I expect ticket prices will be silly high.

Flara
yours only

Member 4638

Level 10.40

Apr 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 10:57 PM #174 of 609
wahhhh Asami is going to university??
that sucks... she always seemed really cute with her chubby face
wahahahaha makes me wanna pinch her cheeks hehe

6 more days til Sowelu releases Dear Friend!!!
13 more days til UVERworld releases Colors of the Heart

can't wait...~~~~

Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 02:01 AM Local time: May 5, 2006, 01:01 AM #175 of 609
Heh...I always identified with Ogawa, because she's always staring off into space with her mouth open and never knows what's going on. That pretty much describes me to a tee. ^_^;;

FELIPE NO

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] J-Pop: An Introduction (and discussion)