Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Recommended LCD monitors?

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2007, 02:01 AM #1 of 3
Recommended LCD monitors?

I've been looking for a replacement for my 19" CRT for a while since the eyestrain/headaches is getting ridiculous. I don't know if my eyes are going bad or what, but I'm willing to try LCDs as one of their benefits is being easier on the eyes. So far the monitor I'm considering is the Viewsonic VP930b.

I'm definitely open to any all recommendations, as long as they meet these requirements:
  • 8ms response time
  • 16.7 million colors
  • wide viewing angles
  • good contrast ratio
  • 1280 x 1024 native resolution

I've looked long and hard for a replacement for this CRT, and it looks like I've found one. Still, I'd rather you knowledgeable folks let me know if there are better choices out there or if I'm walking into something I may regret.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Cam
troll

Member 2604

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:25 AM Local time: Jan 26, 2007, 10:25 AM #2 of 3
I was looking at getting one of these myself.

Decent budget monitor, had a good review elsewhere. Apparently the screen isn't glass though, not sure I like that. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824163004

Better overall, but kind of expensive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001086

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:50 AM #3 of 3
I was looking at getting one of these myself.

Decent budget monitor, had a good review elsewhere. Apparently the screen isn't glass though, not sure I like that. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824163004
I've noticed, during my search, that the vast majority of LCDs (monitors and LCD TVs that also come up as monitors) don't have glass screens. I think it has to do with the major glare you're going to be getting from those, and how it'd make the monitor more fragile.

Quote:
Better overall, but kind of expensive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001086
Funny you brought up the 971p, since that's also one of the monitors that's running neck and neck with the VP930b. Unfortunately, the novel stand seems to have quite a few problems, there aren't any physical adjustments to speak of (big negative, IMO) and the colors become yellow toward the edges. Other than those common complaints (one is that it's too bright, but the VP also has this "problem") it's damn fine.

But the lack of actual buttons and the constant mention of the packaged software/drivers leaving bits/artifacts on your screen and the difficulty involved in calibrating it really made me wary.

BTW, props for the Cowon mention in your sig. The A2 is fucking fantastic. Does just about everything well, gorgeous screen and a long battery life to boot. The only negatives I'd give it are probably the little jog stick and the lack of a removeable battery.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Recommended LCD monitors?