Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Cartoon Network is no more?

Sonic-Dude
Carob Nut

Member 33010

Level 5.43

Feb 2009

Old Apr 10, 2009, 02:39 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2009, 12:39 PM #1 of 55
Cartoon Network is no more?

OMG, I just found this & was shocked after I reading it.

Quote:
news hub
LATEST NEWS!
Cartoon Network ditching all-'toon format

* By Tim Surette
* 03/25/09 4:06 PM

Cable station no longer living up to its name, will get in to live-action reality shows, scripted programs.
Ben 10 going live action!

First MTV stops showing music videos, now this? Cartoon Network is sticking with the "Network" portion of its name, but ditching the strictly "Cartoon" bit, the company announced today. Nineteen new projects were announced, and less than half will be hand-drawn.

"These exciting new projects represent the next phase in Cartoon Network's ambitious, ongoing strategy to re-invent the network and re-energize our youth business overall," said Stuart Snyder.

These new non-cartoons will start airing in the coming 2009-2010 season and feature reality and scripted programs, most of which sound like pint-sized versions of programs currently airing on other networks.

Highlights: The Othersiders is a mini-Ghost Hunters, with five friends exploring scary places; Destroy Build Destroy is like Human Wrecking Balls, with two teams blowing stuff up; Dude, What Would Happen is a Mythbusters clone; Bobb'e Says takes the ridiculously funny child actor Bobb'e J. Thompson (Human Giant, Role Models) in his own take of America's Funniest Home Videos.

Also announced was a live-action Ben 10: Alien Force movie, a Scooby-Doo! prequel telefilm, and a full CG movie titled Firebreather!

Don't worry all you glassy-eyed college students--it doesn't look like the late-night Adult Swim block will be affected by any of this.
What next, the channel is called "The Network"?

I mean... more little kids watch "Adult Swim" shows then the ones on Cartoon Network, wouldn't you agree? Are there any good Cartoons left, (except for Canadian ones) at all. IS CGI the new Cartoon animation of the century? Enough of this Canadian made stuff, I wish to see some American made cartoons for crying out loud. I miss the good times of CN and many others.

For more go right here

Jam it back in, in the dark.
"A Long time, loyal, & Die-Hard Fan of "SONIC The Hedgehog", and PROUD OF IT"
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2009, 03:17 PM #2 of 55
Cartoon Network started being crap when they moved Toonami to Saturdays only, replaced it on the weekdays with Miguzi, moved their good shows to Boomerang (and that station is also getting some crap), and started playing live-action movies like Spider-Man on their network. Don't get me wrong, I think Spider-Man is an awesome movie but when I saw stuff like that scheduled I continuously asked "What the hell is that doing on CARTOON Network?"

Unfortunately we've gotta face facts: times change and so do tv stations.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sonic-Dude
Carob Nut

Member 33010

Level 5.43

Feb 2009

Old Apr 10, 2009, 04:01 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2009, 02:01 PM #3 of 55
Whats going on is that CN is trying to do content for both sides, which is why almost all of the channel's original people & animators have left is because of that. I'm not ageist "Adult Swim", but some the classic shows like "The Popeye Show" use to air on midnights and though out until the morning school starts. "Adult Swim" should by now have it own channel, like I hoping for Toonami as well. The only shows I watch are Family Guy, King of the Hill, Robot Chicken, Ghost in the Shell, Lupin the 3rd, Clerks, Tim & Eric, & The Venture Bros. I thought of course that "Adult Swim" lasts until their line-up of shows were done by no later then 2 or 3AM, right. So that the old-school shows would air. I miss the line-up shows that aired on Saturday Nights that started from 6PM - 2AM, which had Pokemon "old school" ,DBZ, *Hack/Signs, and many others that were awesome.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2009, 04:17 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2009, 02:17 PM #4 of 55
Once CN stopped showing cool shit like Dexter, Powerpuff, Samurai Jack and so on, I pretty much started solely watching Adult Swim when it was on. Which, as someone who has been subjected to those hours of crap, seeing live action isn't that unusual. Hopefully the stuff CN puts on during the day and early evenings will be funnier.

How ya doing, buddy?
Timberwolf8889
To the darkness of time!

Member 33139

Level 17.22

Mar 2009

Old Apr 10, 2009, 04:41 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2009, 10:41 PM #5 of 55
Wat?

Well, actually, they lost all their good shows years ago. I remember I never had cartoon network when I was a kid but my friends had it when they were still showing all the good classic cartoons. Oh well, it was going down the crapper anyway. Like Nickelodeon did years before. AH! Real Monsters, Pete and Pete...fond childhood memories down the crapper.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Sonic-Dude
Carob Nut

Member 33010

Level 5.43

Feb 2009

Old Apr 10, 2009, 06:06 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2009, 04:06 PM #6 of 55
all they now are just memories.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Apr 10, 2009, 06:39 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2009, 06:39 PM #7 of 55
My first reaction is to say "stop crying you child-nerd babies" but then I think of That's Raven and any of the other abysmal tween shows on Disney with hauntingly beautiful golden-childs and ugh ugh ugh, please no.

FELIPE NO
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2009, 06:58 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2009, 01:58 AM #8 of 55
all they show now is some shitty cartoons drawn in some weird anime style anyway.
god i miss all those old great cartoons, i dont even remember the names. Old dexter and cow and chicken etc

RIP

edit: Cant forget I am Weasel, that shit is the bomb!!!! Especially after some weed

no homo
Sonic-Dude
Carob Nut

Member 33010

Level 5.43

Feb 2009

Old Apr 10, 2009, 07:01 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2009, 05:01 PM #9 of 55
Dude, I love to enjoy watching Dexter's Lab and Johnny Bravo.

mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2009, 08:02 PM 1 #10 of 55
I think back years ago during the summer between semesters at college when I would watch the Cartoon Network late at night. I'd sit back and watch Batman, Gargoyles, and a few others. Prior to this, and before my main college years, I'd also watch the classics like Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, etc.

Honestly, the concept was awesome. A channel that had nothing but cartoons. but now they have gotten rid of the very concept that they initially named and defined themselves over.

Given I haven;t been in the States for quite a while, and before then finished college, I haven't REALLY watched CN for five years. Maybe an odd show here or there like I think I saw Batman Beyond on it once. However, I haven't watched it for so long that it doesn;t chagne my viewing habits (which are basically nothing at this point).

Still though, let's be hoenst. If they are now going to the extreme that they will show non-cartoons on a regular basis, then the Cartoon Network is nothing more but a name. They are no different from the Nickelodon, and various other channels. And people anyone gets itno the 'well, they still show some cartoons', so what. It's the CARTOON network. Just like if a channel is called the SPORTS channel you don't get Ghostbusters or whatnot on it, or any number of those channels which play a specific music genre 24/7.

As some people have been saying, this has been going on for a while, so saying RIP CN now is a bit late. However, while late, it's still accurate in that the CN in definition is no more.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Apr 10, 2009, 08:37 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2009, 06:37 PM #11 of 55
Does Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast count as live-action?

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 10, 2009, 09:11 PM #12 of 55
About 20% of it does, but it's still primarily animation.

Now if they did more in the vein of SGC2C, that would be totally acceptable.

But if we start seeing Hannah Montana and iCarly clones, then the ship has completely sailed on Cartoon Network.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sonic-Dude
Carob Nut

Member 33010

Level 5.43

Feb 2009

Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:40 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2009, 08:40 PM #13 of 55
True Animation is no more and that's the truth

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:48 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2009, 10:48 PM #14 of 55
With Cartoon Network unable to get some of the best animated series available from Viacom, it makes sense that they'd go this route. Their own animation gristmill probably can't keep up with the demand for new content.

It's hard for me to get upset about it since all I watch on the network is the Adult Swim part anyway. (okay, maybe Flapjack now and again)

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:55 PM #15 of 55
About 20% of it does, but it's still primarily animation.

Now if they did more in the vein of SGC2C, that would be totally acceptable.

But if we start seeing Hannah Montana and iCarly clones, then the ship has completely sailed on Cartoon Network.
I saw the commercial/trailer for The Othersiders a few days ago, and that ship has sailed. It would be hard to find worse television. I didn't realize they were doing so many other live-action things, but it doesn't surprise me much since Adult Swim has been going that way for awhile by giving Tim & Eric more and more airtime. Plus the movies CN shows now and then that someone already mentioned. I mean, Jurassic Park 3? Really?

Chowder and Flapjack gave me some hope that Cartoon Network would start going in the right direction again, but I guess that was just a last gasp of breath.

FELIPE NO
Sonic-Dude
Carob Nut

Member 33010

Level 5.43

Feb 2009

Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:57 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2009, 09:57 PM #16 of 55
When was the last time a good cartoon came on before all this happen?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:52 AM #17 of 55
Tim & Eric kind of earned their right to live action though with Tom Goes to the Mayor. And although their shows are intentionally awful there is a certain kind of humor if you can build the tolerance. Adult Swim also has some weird British shows now as well. I do love how they like to hate on the anime community. Say what you will with their programming, scheduling, and what not, Adult Swim has been pretty consistent since the very beginning in delivering quality in varying ways and they even make good with the rotten eggs they get. They still show the Oblongs for a reason.

As long as Cartoon Network has a few gold eggs like Flapjack and Chowder (and eventually Adventure Time) I don't really care what they do with the rest of their time slots. The channel is primarily for children and tweens anyway. At least the timeslot right after school is.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2009, 01:22 AM #18 of 55
Eh, it was good while it lasted. The wonder years are over.

I'm sure quality shows like 6teen and Total Drama Island will take the reigns and bring it to a new prosperous age of Cartoon Network.

Sonic-Dude
Carob Nut

Member 33010

Level 5.43

Feb 2009

Old Apr 11, 2009, 02:29 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2009, 12:29 AM #19 of 55
Ya, the only thing is that these show are from Canada, and yet have better animation.

Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2009, 02:47 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2009, 12:47 AM 3 #20 of 55
Tim & Eric kind of earned their right to live action though with Tom Goes to the Mayor.
You must want me to hit you. Is that what you want, Acer? To be struck?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Congle line of abuse. Or is that conga-line. Or congaline.
3.1 inches of glory

Member 4123

Level 28.07

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:47 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2009, 08:47 AM #21 of 55
Bravo used to be about film and all that, now we get the Millionaire Matchmaker, Real Housewives, and Top Chef. Things change and people eat it up, even garbage, and if there's one demographic to do this to it's the kid/early-teen age-group. It's sad, but they don't know better.

I dare you to watch any Disney or Nickelodeon sitcom (laugh-track comes standard) for the full duration and I wonder if your stomach can handle the hackneyed lines, poor delivery, and stereotypes dug out from the coffers of some Nazi film-maker of yore.

Sonic-Dude
Carob Nut

Member 33010

Level 5.43

Feb 2009

Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:56 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2009, 09:56 AM #22 of 55
Ya, besides "Ned's Declassified", I never watch any of the other show on there. The Kids/sitcom aren't what they use to be. Most of them are about political humor & saving the rainforest, O my. I thought there was law that didn't have kid shows not to be used for any of the above, and to just keep them funny & entertaining, I'm right?

Old Apr 11, 2009, 01:14 PM #23 of 55
You must want me to hit you. Is that what you want, Acer? To be struck?
Ahahaha. I know the show isn't very good, Jess. But I'm saying that at least they produced something animated before they went live action. Besides their segments are only 15 minutes long.

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2009, 08:17 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2009, 07:17 PM #24 of 55
Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! is hands down the most well-written and carefully conceived program on Adult Swim after The Venture Brothers. Those guys are goddam comedic geniuses. Way ahead of the comedy learning curve. Shit like that's going to be all over the place in ten years.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2009, 08:45 PM #25 of 55
Shit like that's going to be all over the place in ten years.
Then I weep for the future and all who have to live in it. The average infomercial is more entertaining than the crap they put out.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Cartoon Network is no more?