Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] What is your favourite classic game?

Locke
Flying High

Member 488

Level 23.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 05:43 PM #1 of 41
What is your favourite classic game?

I personally enjoy the Space/King's quest series by Sierra - and I've got a fondness for the XCOM games. For the 'quest series games, I really enjoyed the massive sizes of the games, and the vast possibilities. Pretty much everything you typed into the simple one-line entry had a unique response, from swearing, to the classic teenager 'take off your clothes'

My favourite classic game of all time though? Probably space quest 3, out of all of them, I found it had the most enjoyable storyline, and by far was the most fun to play!

So - what is your favourite classic game? And don't just make a single word, or two word name of a game, give a little description about why you like it.

(COMMANDER KEEN KICKS ASS!)

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Locke; Mar 2, 2006 at 06:53 PM.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 06:40 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 12:40 PM #2 of 41
Originally Posted by Locke
I personally enjoy the Space/King's quest series by Sierra - and I've got a fondness for the XCOM games

But what is GFF's favourite classic game?
Ms. Pacman. I'd call it a classic, even though it's simply an edited version of the original Pacman. Each level is a different maze, there's 31 levels per variation.

Variations. There's Strange, Big, Crazy, and Arcade. Each of which have 31 different mazes which open up for a large amount of replayability. 2 player mode is fun too; a 2 player cooperation game. Instead of killing eachother, you're actually helping eachother against the ghosts.

As an alternative, a large portion of NES games can be inserted here. It really depends on what you consider "classic" and from what year onwards they're considered not classic.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 06:58 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 01:58 AM #3 of 41
Sam & Max Hit the Road (PC) - the best LucasArts game ever and the first CD-rom I ever got. Gotta love it.

Max: "This place reeks of adventure and excitement, Sam!"
Sam: "I thought that was this tuna fish sandwich I found crawling with
life in my coat pocket."

"Well, it all started the day before today. I remember it just like
it was yesturday."
--Moleman from Sam & Max Hit The Road

Sam: "Where should I put this thing so that it doesn't hurt anyone we know
or care about?"
Max:"Out the window, Sam. There's nobody but strangers out there."

http://www.armory.com/~grafter/samquote.html

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 07:38 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 06:38 PM #4 of 41
Originally Posted by Elixir
Ms. Pacman. I'd call it a classic, even though it's simply an edited version of the original Pacman. Each level is a different maze, there's 31 levels per variation.

Variations. There's Strange, Big, Crazy, and Arcade. Each of which have 31 different mazes which open up for a large amount of replayability. 2 player mode is fun too; a 2 player cooperation game. Instead of killing eachother, you're actually helping eachother against the ghosts.

As an alternative, a large portion of NES games can be inserted here. It really depends on what you consider "classic" and from what year onwards they're considered not classic.
Ms. Pac-Man had 4 mazes. They alternate between the intermissions.

The variations of which you speak were from the console versions.

And as for favourite classic game (well aside from Ms. Pac-Man which is my #1), I have to say Galaga. Oh sweet Galaga. What I would do you have one of your in my possession.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 07:41 PM #5 of 41
Originally Posted by Locke
(COMMANDER KEEN KICKS ASS!)
I am not quoting this sentence for any particular reason.

There were a lot of games I played growing up, PC and console, so to choose one from before the last 10 or 15 years (which is when I'd start considering games to be "classic") is tough. Rise of the Triad was probably the one though.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Fire On Ice
Shockingly Sheepish

Member 428

Level 18.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 07:44 PM #6 of 41

For the NES. The first video game I ever played by myself. I always died within the first 12 levels, mind you, I was only 4 at the time, I had yet to develop the hand eye coordination required to properly use a controller.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Baaah~
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 07:52 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 01:52 PM #7 of 41
Originally Posted by acid
Ms. Pac-Man had 4 mazes. They alternate between the intermissions.

The variations of which you speak were from the console versions.
Yeah, I didn't actually like the arcade version. The Mastersystem, Genesis and SNES versions(all made by Tengen) were great. I don't play it anymore but my mother does, it's the only thing she ever doesplays.

I'm going to mention Bubble Bobble before anyone else. 100 levels of PURE INSANE action. Even if I played this at the arcade it wouldn't be possible to complete, as there's levels(in the 90-100 period) which require you to kill ghosts trapped inside of boxes, with lightning bubbles. I was never able to complete Bubble Bobble without using saved states, and for some reason everyone keeps saying that the game was easy.

FELIPE NO
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 07:55 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 09:55 PM #8 of 41
Tie, between Z, and OMF 2097.

Z was just this really fun strategy game, that required a lot of precision, quick thinking, and had this really tough AI. It also had the most hilarious cut scenes.

OMF 2097 was, and remains the best fighting game solely for PC. It has fatalities, air combos, and a fantastic Tournament mode where you build up your fighter. It is pretty old now, so it also happens to be FREE!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:04 PM #9 of 41
They made a sequel to One Must Fall, but I don't think anyone bought it. Fighting games no longer have the great sense of creativity or cleverness to me (which explains why the most recent fighting games I've bought are Soul Calibur III and Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max).

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:12 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 07:12 PM #10 of 41
It's gotta be DigDug. I could play that thing for hours. Digging! Running! Puffing air into snakes until they explode! Truly a timeless classic.
Other than that, I'd have to say the old arcade The Simpsons machine, where you have to rescue Maggie from Mr. Burns. I used to go on a ferry boat that had that machine. I must have put a few hundred dollars into it over the years.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:39 PM #11 of 41

My favorite classic game
But perhaps not classic enough because its a 1990 game.

Dizzy
The Latin Cockroach

Member 729

Level 16.74

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:16 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 12:16 AM #12 of 41
Originally Posted by Newbie1234
OMF 2097 was, and remains the best fighting game solely for PC.
Oh man, I still remember the outstanding soundtrack that game has. I need to download that stuff again.

In my case, it's Knightmare (MSX). A really fun (and though) game from Konami. I could never finished that damn game ¬_¬...

| XBL: Dizzy4U | PSN: Dizzy4U |
| GFF ¡En Español! | My YouTube |
kobunicus
Spork Master

Member 1082

Level 7.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 06:31 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 04:31 AM #13 of 41
I remember playing tubin' countless times at my nickel arcade. lol. Fun times.
Police quest was also fun, sometimes frustrating, but rewarding.

There's this one game I can't remember, in the arcades... played it probably 15 years ago. Maybe you guys can help, it's three players side scrolling game. very very similar to double dragon, with the non-shirted heroes. The 3 players/heroes are distinguished by red, blue, and yellow pants. But i can't be sure if those were the colors, but im pretty sure. And I kept thinking it was called "pit fighter" but that's a totally different game where it's photographic like mortal combat and not really sidescrolling action.
MAN..... what is that game!

eatings things one at a time, with a spork
w
|
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 09:03 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 07:03 PM #14 of 41
The Revenge of Shinobi always will hold a specil place in my heart (especially since I couldn't get past level seven until I used an emulator, on Easy!). The game has a certain atmosphere that no other ninja game I've played since can replicate (plus the music is badass as well).

Josiah
Normal Gym Leader

Member 412

Level 22.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 01:28 AM #15 of 41
Mega Man 2 for me. I dunno, it's just one of those really memorable games for me for some reason. Perhaps partly because I think that was the game that planted the seed in me for a liking to video game music. Without which, I probably never would have come to appreciate some fantastic music (even if it's 8-bit ) and composers, or find this forum. That and it's just a fun game.

FELIPE NO
Brillo
Wark!

Member 1506

Level 1.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 03:24 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 12:24 AM #16 of 41
I only beat it recently, but Castlevania 3 is easily one of the best classic games I've ever played. The music is aweosme (at least in the Famicom version), it's challenging, and the boss battles are great. There's something charming about the classic CVs in general, mostly how your character is so weak, and there's no air control at all (meaning the medusa heads are hell.) Really, it just defines what a good 8-Bit Platformer should be.

Gunman: Nothing to say?
Jeff Costello: Not with a gun on me.
Gunman: Is that a principle?
Jeff Costello: A habit.
khan0plinger
OH YES LET ME DROWN IN IT

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 03:28 AM #17 of 41
Someone mentioned Star Tropics, that too was mine. I loved that game so much and even though I always died at the last boss...I kept on playing it. Then there was a sequal, and when I got it and played it...I cried because it was stupid.

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 09:33 AM #18 of 41
Galaga is the best classic game, well, for me, at least. It has immense replay value and is so much fun. I've never even heard of anyone reaching the end of the game without using the glitch that makes the whole thing quite easier.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Acro-nym; Mar 5, 2006 at 02:38 PM.
SonicEchidna
Victory is mine!

Member 93

Level 9.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 08:27 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 01:27 PM #19 of 41
Streets of Rage 1 and 2. I consider these games to be true classics, as they were one of the first video games I ever had the privilege to play. I fell in love with the music and the gameplay, and I haven't played another game that has brought me quite as much joy as these two beauties did (although Sonic 2 comes pretty close).

"Well, I'd love to stay and chat, but you're a total bitch."
- Stewie Griffin
CuteChocobo
Rurounin Translator

Member 1038

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 08:41 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 09:41 PM #20 of 41
Classic game? Then Tetris all the way ^______^
Pacman is cool too but all those dots hurt my eyes after playing it for too long.

As for the 80-90s game, I would vote for Leisure Suit Larry and Monkey Island.... these two are my fav PC classic game~~ Unfortunatly, these games are mostly run on MS-DOS and my computer fails running those

biochip
Wooo

Member 1900

Level 1.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:13 PM #21 of 41

:biggrin:

And thanks for reminding me about Trog. I need to go play that RIGHT NOW.

ComCrimson
MYV

Member 115

Level 12.39

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:28 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 10:28 PM #22 of 41
Sam and Max and Day Of The Tentacle. Damn i miss those games so much. Shame they probably won't work on my PC now. I just remember them being so addictive and Sam and Max was the funniest thing ever. I remember watching my Dad play Day Of the Tentacle and being completely in awe of it. *Sigh* oh how i miss them

Cheers B4!
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:36 PM #23 of 41
Bionic Commando is a game with fantastic gameplay and level design. The level design, especially, is marvelous, because shifting one object (during the creation process) could completely change the situation. Plus:

Oh yeah, and it had Hitler. Is that even allowed in games nowadays?

FELIPE NO
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:42 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:42 PM #24 of 41
One of my old favorites was simply ROTT. I mean, it had a plethora of weapons and.. a shrooms mode. Yay for drugs on videogames!

And also Jazz the Jackrabbit. Quite snazzy bunny who kicks a lot of butt. A fun sidescroller which attracted my attention. Though simple, it was very, very enjoyable.

TRZD
i'm rappity rappin'

Member 391

Level 9.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 07:14 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 01:14 AM #25 of 41
Originally Posted by Elixir
I'm going to mention Bubble Bobble before anyone else. 100 levels of PURE INSANE action. Even if I played this at the arcade it wouldn't be possible to complete, as there's levels(in the 90-100 period) which require you to kill ghosts trapped inside of boxes, with lightning bubbles. I was never able to complete Bubble Bobble without using saved states, and for some reason everyone keeps saying that the game was easy.
I think it was intended to be a 2-player game, as leat it made it considerably easier and more fun. I had the C64 version and I think I did manage to complete it by myself once, but there were some levels that were clearly meant for two people (one in the 90s I remember you were trapped in a side, you'd have to bounce all the way up on one of your own bubbles, then drop down the other side and somehow kill 3 enemies without being hit by them, crazy). The key to a good game was the doors, which I don't think many people know about. If you got to level 20 without losing a life (or in 2-player mode if just one of you manages it) the regular item is replaced by a door which gives you lots of gems and so points and also skips the next level. This carries on every 10 levels, and at 50 the door skips you all the way to level 70. Maybe I played this game a bit too much, but it was definitely one of my favourites too.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] What is your favourite classic game?