Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Tournament] 2011-12 NHL regular season discussion

The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:36 AM Local time: Dec 5, 2011, 12:36 AM #26 of 65
Wow... what about Boston eh? From basement dwelling in October, to dominating in November... and still so into December.... Looking like Defending Champs alright...

How ya doing, buddy?
Buckwalt
Zurück vom Ring!

Member 485

Level 42.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2011, 02:46 AM Local time: Dec 5, 2011, 12:46 AM #27 of 65
I'm not as surprised about Boston as I am about Minnesota. What the hell? Leading the NHL after the first quarter? I don't think they'll win the Presidents' Trophy or their division, but they should make the playoffs.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
"Give up on Beethoven... You've got Stockhausen now." --- Miles Davis

Interactive Collaborative Concert Hall Radio!
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:46 AM Local time: Dec 5, 2011, 10:46 AM #28 of 65
I'm not as surprised about Boston as I am about Minnesota. What the hell? Leading the NHL after the first quarter? I don't think they'll win the Presidents' Trophy or their division, but they should make the playoffs.
Agreed.... even Florida blows me away... and Toronto... still up there? The only not so much surprise is the rise and fall at Edmonton.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:18 PM #29 of 65
REALIGNMENT YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH
Quote:
The top four teams in each Conference qualify for the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The first-place team would play the fourth-place team; the second-place team would play the third-place team. The four respective Conference champions would meet in the third round of the Playoffs, with the survivors playing for the Stanley Cup.

CONFERENCE A (Gretzky Division?)
Anaheim
Calgary
Colorado
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver

CONFERENCE B (Howe Division?)
Chicago
Columbus
Dallas
Detroit
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

CONFERENCE C (Orr Division?)
Boston
Buffalo
Florida
Montreal
Ottawa
Tampa Bay
Toronto

CONFERENCE D (Lemieux Division?)
Carolina
New Jersey
New York Rangers
New York Islanders
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington
Thoughts? I was expecting some more extreme changes, most notably with Detroit, Columbus, Nashville: none of those teams got lumped in with "Eastern" teams as all the talk was supposing, and not only that, but they got stuck with the Jets. (Though I guess Winnipeg is in the Central Time Zone? So I guess it worked out.) It looks like the Governors preferred to keep any existing rivalries in tact. That said, it'll be interesting to see how any future relocations (Phoenix, Islanders, Carolina) work out, and how the conferences may change further.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Dopefish; Dec 12, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Dec 6, 2011, 07:55 PM #30 of 65
This realignment plan is pretty non-offensive, so there shouldn't be too much issue with it. Moving one of Detroit/Columbus/Nashville to the east but not the others would've created some commotion, but this sidesteps that problem and tries to push aside the imbalanced east/west issue as well (though there are still imbalanced conferences).

I'm looking forward to some more intense division rivalries with some teams, and seeing every opponent at least twice a year again. The only real downside will be lack of variety in playoffs, but again that could feed into stronger rivalries all around.

Eager to see what they name these conferences too.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:56 PM #31 of 65
Eager to see what they name these conferences too.
Yeah the naming is what's going to fascinate me; the conferences are basically set up to not follow a direct geographical convention, and fans have been crying for a return to named divisions/conferences. I'm assuming that if they do go with naming the conferences after people, it won't be the old guys like Adams, Patrick, Norris and Smythe, and it probably won't be any contemporary owners, either. I'm not 100% sure about the names I suggested either. Considering the teams in their divisions, I'm thinking Gretzky, Lemieux and Howe are pretty much locks, but Boston and Montreal could argue it out forever about the Orr/Richard Conference.

Additional Spam:
Just had a silly idea: the team that wins their conference every year votes to name the division for the next year.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Dopefish; Dec 6, 2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:42 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2011, 09:42 PM #32 of 65
Reason number infinite to love Lucic.

3 assists, 8 pims. Cam Neely reborn.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:56 PM #33 of 65
If he starts scoring more goals I'll agree 100%. So far he's got the tenacity down pat.

How ya doing, buddy?
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:32 PM Local time: Dec 11, 2011, 12:32 PM #34 of 65
I wonder if it will be more likely for dynasty stanley cup champions based on the realignment....

There's nowhere I can't reach.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2011, 03:07 PM Local time: Dec 11, 2011, 02:07 PM #35 of 65
If he starts scoring more goals I'll agree 100%. So far he's got the tenacity down pat.
He's currently on pace for 32, his exact output from last year, with more assists and a minor bump in PIMs.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2011, 03:58 PM #36 of 65
He's currently on pace for 32, his exact output from last year, with more assists and a minor bump in PIMs.
When you say "Cam Neely reborn," I think of a guy who, at 21 (two years younger than Lucic is this year), scored 36 goals in his first year in Boston and followed that up with 42, 37, 55 and 51 goals in the regular season and 5, 9, 7, 12 and 16 in the playoffs. That's what I mean when I say he needs to start scoring more goals before I consider him the second coming of Neely. Maybe in another couple of years, but he's not there yet.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:20 AM Local time: Dec 12, 2011, 07:20 AM #37 of 65
When you say "Cam Neely reborn," I think of a guy who, at 21 (two years younger than Lucic is this year), scored 36 goals in his first year in Boston and followed that up with 42, 37, 55 and 51 goals in the regular season and 5, 9, 7, 12 and 16 in the playoffs. That's what I mean when I say he needs to start scoring more goals before I consider him the second coming of Neely. Maybe in another couple of years, but he's not there yet.
|
I concur the numbers are lower, but so is scoring in general. We don't see a lot of 50 goal scorers anymore. And 60, which used to be attainable, seems to be extremely limited. He definitely doesn't have Neely's nose for streaking in and sniping a wrister over the goalie's pad, but he does have that rare combination of goals, assists and PIMs that are pretty much only mirrored by Backes in St Louis and Perry in Anaheim.

Most amazing jew boots

Buckwalt
Zurück vom Ring!

Member 485

Level 42.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:54 PM Local time: Dec 12, 2011, 11:54 AM 1 #38 of 65
I wonder if it will be more likely for dynasty stanley cup champions based on the realignment....
I doubt we'll ever see a dynasty again, what, with all the parity in the post-lockout NHL. It seems like it is possible for any team to beat any given team on any night. Case in point: when Winnipeg beat Boston a few days ago, ending their long streak without a regulation loss. Also, just look at surprise teams like Minnesota and Florida.

In other news, Crosby is out with a concussion... again.

Last edited by Buckwalt; Dec 12, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:18 PM #39 of 65
Yeah this season's starting to shape up almost exactly like last season, injuries all over the place.

How ya doing, buddy?
Buckwalt
Zurück vom Ring!

Member 485

Level 42.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:59 PM Local time: Dec 12, 2011, 08:59 PM #40 of 65
It's funny, though. There was a report at the beginning of the season that concussions had been down like 60% in the last few years. Looks like it will even out a bit this year, though, with Crosby, Giroux, Letang, possibly Pronger, etc out concussed this year.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:23 PM 2 #41 of 65
YouTube Video

Patrick Kane, in his head: trololololololo

Jam it back in, in the dark.

The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:45 AM Local time: Dec 16, 2011, 12:45 AM #42 of 65
My thoughts on the Jets game tonight: Jets lose with only 1:14 Left in Third Period… ? News Leeks

Buckwalt
Zurück vom Ring!

Member 485

Level 42.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:00 AM Local time: Dec 15, 2011, 11:00 PM #43 of 65
Going back to concussions, now Chris Pronger has been shutdown for the rest of the year including playoffs.

Flyers' Pronger out for season with post-concussion syndrome

That should make some of you Pens fans happy. I think it's a major loss for the league, though. He is such a dick around the playoffs and can make for some great watching.

TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:36 AM #44 of 65
Everyone hates Chris Pronger, but just as when this happened to others, it's never good to see players injured, have their season ended, or anything of the sort. Hopefully that jerk can recover and come back sooner than expected.

Also, I watched the first episode of HBO's 24/7 about the Flyers and Rangers. Just like last year, the show is fantastically done and gives a great look into behind the scenes and off ice happenings.

Most amazing jew boots
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:29 AM #45 of 65
Everyone hates Chris Pronger, but just as when this happened to others, it's never good to see players injured, have their season ended, or anything of the sort. Hopefully that jerk can recover and come back sooner than expected.
As a fan of hockey, I'm in no position to argue with this. The NHL is a better league when all its best players are healthy and playing. I don't care if your name is Crosby, Savard, Giroux or Pronger, but concussions are slowly causing the league's talent to deteriorate and the Board of Governors really need to address it by penalizing hits to the head more aggressively.

I was speaking idiomatically.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:24 AM Local time: Dec 16, 2011, 10:24 AM #46 of 65
Don't leave Skinner off that list. The kid is dynamite, and now he's shut down.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2012, 08:39 PM #47 of 65
So it seems that the Pittsburgh Penguins want to relive last season and then some. Crosby's out, Staal's out, Neal's out, Letang's out, Adams's out, Asham's out, Jeffrey's out. These Wilkes-Barre kids are gonna need to come up big.

FELIPE NO

The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2012, 09:50 AM Local time: Jan 9, 2012, 09:50 AM #48 of 65
Not looking good, they are falling through the standings like a rock right now.... Ottawa, ever since their two games by coming from behind to win OT is carrying them through the standings upwards...

Most amazing jew boots
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2012, 01:45 PM Local time: Jan 9, 2012, 12:45 PM #49 of 65
Bruins fans:

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:25 PM #50 of 65
So Deni, how did you mourn the death of the hip check? Because the NHL just mourned it by giving Brad Marchand a five-game suspension for what I thought was a damned good hip check.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Tournament] 2011-12 NHL regular season discussion