Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] ...That was it?

Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2007, 03:45 AM #26 of 37
Star Ocean 3 was so lucky it had such stellar gameplay or I would have never touched it again after that horrible twist. I'm sure pretty much anyone who continued after it felt the same way though.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kensaki
_

Member 2194

Level 15.48

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2007, 03:36 PM Local time: Jun 12, 2007, 10:36 PM #27 of 37
I quit the game when that plot twist happened. I was so pissed you wouldn't believe it. What a copout!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2007, 02:31 AM #28 of 37
Star Ocean 3 was so lucky it had such stellar gameplay or I would have never touched it again after that horrible twist. I'm sure pretty much anyone who continued after it felt the same way though.
You mean, forcing ourselves to continue for completion purposes?

I'm one, but I'm in no great hurry.

The idea behind the plot twist was nice, but it never should have been done. The message the game was trying to convey could have been done differently.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2007, 02:49 AM Local time: Jun 13, 2007, 08:49 AM #29 of 37
I stopped playing SO3 after the twist. I really couldn't face an entire disc more of the game if that was the kind of idea they were coming up with.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2007, 03:59 AM Local time: Jun 13, 2007, 06:59 PM #30 of 37
Don't you mean "contrived?" It would have been nice if things were left up in the air--you know?
In a sense, yes...but in a realistic sense, I was exaggerating. I can get carried away when it comes to Final Fantasy and exaggeration. (The plots seem exaggerated some of the time, anyway...I've been influenced!)

Originally Posted by Leknaat
And if Necros never existed.
Ah, yes. In a good world, it wouldn't have existed. But alas...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2007, 04:46 AM #31 of 37
I stopped playing SO3 after the twist. I really couldn't face an entire disc more of the game if that was the kind of idea they were coming up with.
Spoiler:
I think the whole idea of "People who think they are Gods call themselves 'The Creators'" was a much better idea to go with. Instead of--Oh, by the way--you aren't real, you're a program in a huge video game. Then turning into a giant cosplay thing later on....

I'd rather fight a megalomaniac who THINKS he can control lide, rather than some computer programmer.

Muzza--FF plots exaggerated--surely you jest.....

But, come on, you have to admit, with FFIX "What happened to Zidane?" would have been much better than what we got.

FELIPE NO
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2007, 05:04 AM Local time: Jun 13, 2007, 08:04 PM #32 of 37
Uh-huh, I jest. Just satirizing my sense of exaggeration. And I agree whole-heartedly regarding the Zidane thing. But that would have never --and never will- happen, specifically in a FF game, when the main character is concerned. Can you imagine the tumult that would transpire on FF-fan-forums? Catastrophic.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2007, 05:11 AM Local time: Jun 13, 2007, 05:11 AM #33 of 37
While there are worse examples which have already been mentioned in this thread, Chrono Cross definitely comes to mind. The game had a decent buildup, a fairly challenging second-to-last boss (which could have very well been the last boss)...

Spoiler:
and then they just randomly decide to throw in the whole "Lavos is still alive kinda sorta and you have to save the girl or else you get no ending!"

Honestly, that just kinda made me go...why? It had virtually nothing to do with the plot, and on top of that, it was an INCREDIBLY easy boss. After I beat the game and started a New Game+, I managed to go back and beat him using Serge alone. It's pretty sad that you can defeat what should be the most difficult enemy in the game with a single character...hell, they might as well have just forced you to only use Serge in the battle by default. And while the "real" ending at least somewhat wrapped everything up, it still felt like a letdown.

Oh, and actually going back to the topic creator's point about FFX, wasn't the auto-life thing because of the Faith? At some point earlier in the game, one of them tells you that when you finally do face Yu Yevon that they would be helping you, and I think Yuna even mentions that she wondered what he meant after that, so I assumed they were responsible for the whole invulnerability thing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2007, 06:09 AM #34 of 37
To be fair, You can do that in Chrono Trigger too.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zefier
Breaktime

Member 7533

Level 14.42

May 2006

Old Jun 13, 2007, 08:17 AM #35 of 37
SO3 actually had me playing for most of the game and enjoying it up until the big plot spoiler.

Tales of Legendia was somewhat similar, but not exactly the worst. Just that the ending was soooo drawn out was essentially the worst part IMO. And EVERYONE had to put in their own two cents. Repeatedly.

Most amazing jew boots
Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:23 PM #36 of 37
Definately gotta agree with the others, that Star Ocean 3's infamous plot twist got to me.

If Star Ocean 3 was a stand-alone game, then I wouldn't have mind it so much, but unfortunately the games are connected, as pathetic as those connections are. Since it pretty much means that the first two games were just a joke. It didn't mean anything at all.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Soldier: Prepare yourself, rebel scum!!

Arngrim : (These slipshod soldiers think they can call me "rebel scum"?)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] ...That was it?