Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Social Security Numbers - What do you know?

DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:24 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2008, 10:24 AM #1 of 27
Social Security Numbers - What do you know?

I have heard rumors from a few different people that information can be derived from a social security number such as birth place state, birth year, first letter of last name, etc. Does anyone know if this is true? Does anyone know how to do this if it is indeed true? This really interests me and I'd love to know how it works, the formula that is used to issue these numbers.

Also, do you have yours memorized? Anyone elses?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:30 AM #2 of 27
I've heard the same thing, but I've yet to see it actually hold up as true.

And yes, of course I have mine memorized. I haven't had my SS card for years, thanks to some PRICK TEENAGER stealing my wallet. I guess I shouldn't have been carrying it in my wallet to begin with but O WELL. ;_;

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:34 AM #3 of 27
It's why I leave mine at home.

I've gotten mine memorized, but I heard through the grapevine that it's based on where you were born and the year you were born... Something like that, but I'm not sure.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dullenplain
Life @ 45RPM

Member 2299

Level 38.16

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:39 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2008, 10:39 AM #4 of 27
I only memorized my own social security number.

And briefly looking at Wikipedia, it seems like only the first three digits signify any particular information, which is basically region you were born in. The rest of the numbers are only used to divide that into convenient and manageable groups.

Most amazing jew boots

Classic J-Pop Volume 31
Add your location here at the ------> GFF Members Geographic Database
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:45 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2008, 10:45 AM #5 of 27
I memorized mine out of necessity...filling out lots of college applications and financial aid crap tend to cement it in your brain really fast.
Before I memorized it, though, my mom used to have it written down for me in 'phone number' format, so that it wasn't conspicuous as a SS#.

I was speaking idiomatically.
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:29 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2008, 11:29 AM #6 of 27
I've heard the same thing, but I've yet to see it actually hold up as true.

And yes, of course I have mine memorized. I haven't had my SS card for years, thanks to some PRICK TEENAGER stealing my wallet. I guess I shouldn't have been carrying it in my wallet to begin with but O WELL. ;_;
How do you go about getting a new social security card? Is that even possible?

I only memorized my own social security number.

And briefly looking at Wikipedia, it seems like only the first three digits signify any particular information, which is basically region you were born in. The rest of the numbers are only used to divide that into convenient and manageable groups.
Did you find any specific numbers? I'd love to be able to 'read' social security numbers, even if its only the first three digits.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:35 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2008, 10:35 AM #7 of 27
You go down the social security office and tell them you lost it. It's pretty easy to get issued another one. I've lost my wallet several times before I learned that I shouldn't carry around my card.

Getting another number on the other hand... well, I don't know the steps for that.

FELIPE NO
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:40 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2008, 11:40 AM #8 of 27
You go down the social security office and tell them you lost it. It's pretty easy to get issued another one. I've lost my wallet several times before I learned that I shouldn't carry around my card.

Getting another number on the other hand... well, I don't know the steps for that.
A new number... lol. How much did it cost to get a new card Divest?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:49 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2008, 12:49 PM #9 of 27
I know your birthday can be for most people.
In high school, our SS was our SID(yeah pretty stupid, but that has changed). One of my teachers was able to tell all of the class, with the exception of one girl, our birthdays but not the year. and no, the attendance sheet did not have our birthdays on it, i had seen them enough to know that. it had our SID, our name, and the day of the week and that was it. So unless he just looked them up in the student records, and memorized a class of 30s birthdays, i would say there is some validity to that.

DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 12:53 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2008, 11:53 AM #10 of 27
I know your birthday can be for most people.
In high school, our SS was our SID(yeah pretty stupid, but that has changed). One of my teachers was able to tell all of the class, with the exception of one girl, our birthdays but not the year. and no, the attendance sheet did not have our birthdays on it, i had seen them enough to know that. it had our SID, our name, and the day of the week and that was it. So unless he just looked them up in the student records, and memorized a class of 30s birthdays, i would say there is some validity to that.
That is awesome, THIS is what I want to be able to do. Contact info pls (kidding...)?

Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 01:08 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2008, 11:08 AM #11 of 27
Delorean is creeping me out.

My number starts with 444.

OKLAHOMA BABY!

Most amazing jew boots
Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 01:10 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2008, 11:10 AM 1 #12 of 27
HEY GUYS HOW CAN I FIGURE OUT HOW TO READ PEOPLE'S SOCIALS MAYBE I CAN GET THEIR ADDRESS TOO YEAH?

WHAT HAPPENS IF I CUT OFF THE TIPS OF MY FINGERS GUYS DO I REALLY NOT HAVE ANY FINGERPRINTS?

WHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO GET RID OF BLOOD STAINS?!?!

Thx guys!<3

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 01:10 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2008, 11:10 AM #13 of 27
Just go to your local Social Security office and show up with your birth certificate copy and tell them you lost yours and need a re-print.

Easy as pie, only takes about 3 hours waiting in line.

EDIT: Oh wait, didn't see Divest's post. So yeah, what he said. And have a book or a handheld game handy.

Last edited by Shorty; Mar 4, 2008 at 01:13 PM.
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 01:13 PM #14 of 27
Here in Canada, it seems to be pretty similar. I think the only difference is the number's 'structure', which isn't much different anyway. Ours go 'xxx-xxx-xxx', instead of 'xxx-xx-xxxx' or whatever it is in the US.

As for what the numbers mean... I know that the first digit tells you what province you're from. For example... a number that starts with 4 or 5 means you're from Ontario. Beyond that, I'm not sure the numbers have any specific meanings.

chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 01:16 PM #15 of 27
It's also free of charge to replace your card.

If you consider losing all the time in line "without charge." I happen to think that time is money during the week before 5, SO.

How ya doing, buddy?
Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 01:24 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2008, 11:24 AM #16 of 27
Here in California they make you pay $30 after your second time losing it. ;____;

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2008, 01:25 PM #17 of 27
It costs $15 a pop here for a lost card.

chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
Star Man Aevum
DWN037

Member 1020

Level 8.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2008, 02:55 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2008, 12:55 AM #18 of 27
I remember putting that math together that the first three digits are for certain places. My mother, sister, and I all have 520 for Wyoming, but my dad's is different as he's from Montana. I cannot remember what his even begins with.

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2008, 03:40 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2008, 04:40 PM #19 of 27
We don't have SSN here in the Philippines. Yay for low to zero identity theft rate.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:40 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2008, 06:40 PM #20 of 27
I never really understood why the US rely so heavily on a SSN. You have a number that's used for pretty much most important dealing with the governance, taxation and stuff, and yet you seem to have to use it all the time, as an authentication method, knowing full well that most cases of identity theft occur with the help of a SSN. Aren't there any other ways that can be used to authenticate a person, instead of asking for apparently pretty important personal information? Do you people feel safe with this method?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:09 PM #21 of 27
I had a shop teacher in middle school who made us all memorize our social security numbers, so I've never bothered carrying the card. I'm honestly not even sure if it's at my father's house or a safety deposit box. Never really thought about it until I got a job in retail and practically everyone offered it as their secondary form of ID, which I thought was more than a little idiotic.

Smelnick
Banned

Member 12225

Level 26.09

Sep 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:31 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2008, 12:31 PM #22 of 27
Here in canada, it's called SIN (Social Insurance Number). It's pretty much the same thing. I'm not sure how it works number wise and for what info it can reveal. I don't have mine memorized though. I just keep it in my wallet. I know, that's dumb. But I use it so often, and just haven't taken the time to memorize it.

Winter Storm
Distant Memories

Member 2209

Level 27.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:54 PM #23 of 27
Your SSN(for america atleast) can tell the person your work history(jobs you've had), income history, birth, age, where you live, etc. For low income housing, your SSN will make it impossible to lie about your income unless its under the table. It's your "identity" and you can get fucked over if someone with ill intent got a hold of it, just like credit cards and such. Thats what I know. They can even tell you if you have checks being direct deposited. Whatever your number is tied to, it can be looked up. Mine is memorized, and I only take my card with me if I'm going to a job interview.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Winter Storm; Mar 12, 2008 at 01:00 PM.
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 08:04 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2008, 07:04 PM #24 of 27
Your SSN(for america atleast) can tell the person your work history(jobs you've had), income history, birth, age, where you live, etc. For low income housing, your SSN will make it impossible to lie about your income unless its under the table. It's your "identity" and you can get fucked over if someone with ill intent got a hold of it, just like credit cards and such. Thats what I know. They can even tell you if you have checks being direct deposited. Whatever your number is tied to, it can be looked up. Mine is memorized, and I only take my card with me if I'm going to a job interview.
This is really not what I'm talking about... I really want to know what the actual numbers represent.

K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2008, 02:10 PM #25 of 27
With the many jobs I have had, memorizing mine would be required.

Not to mention you need it for when I cash my checks at a Wally World

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Social Security Numbers - What do you know?