Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Outing yourself to your/a religious family
Closed Thread

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2008, 06:21 PM #1 of 7
Outing yourself to your/a religious family

I was just typing a long letter to my aunt who I have been estranged from for so long. I just was going to tell her that I don't believe in religion or churches or Jesus anymore. Casually. Then I thought about the consequences.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Philia; Jan 12, 2008 at 06:35 PM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 12, 2008, 06:34 PM Local time: Jan 12, 2008, 04:34 PM 1 #2 of 7
If they don't ask your opinion on something pertaining to it, then don't say anything about it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Jan 12, 2008, 06:50 PM Local time: Jan 13, 2008, 01:50 AM #3 of 7
Hmm, well it's hard to know, it all depends on the person you're gonna tell this to. It might give you some unnecessary trouble if you do tell her. Unless you feel it's very important that you do tell her, don't.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2008, 06:59 PM #4 of 7
Well... its somewhat important in sense. I guess I was merely trying to assert myself like I usually do in letters. She's that overbearing kind of woman but she's my main link to the whole family basically. It'd do no good in telling her honestly since she'd just tell everyone.

Then a topic may bring up at a visit to why I didn't get married in a church. Or traditional things I didn't practice like I used to. Blessing at dinner or prayer or such... my uncle (not my said aunt's husband but her brother) is a deacon so we had a lot of religious practices at home.

I thought of telling this to my aunt to soften the blow in case my husband and I were to visit. Its just that it'd be so awkward either way. But I do wish for a visit someday, specifically to my grandmother.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Philia; Jan 12, 2008 at 07:14 PM.
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:30 PM Local time: Jan 12, 2008, 07:30 PM #5 of 7
Family is supposed to accept you for who you are. If religion blinds them to the fact that you are still their blood and that they should love you anyway, you are most likely better off without them in your life.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Jan 13, 2008, 04:42 PM 2 #6 of 7
If they don't ask your opinion on something pertaining to it, then don't say anything about it.
There's the advice right there. And, depending on the family, if they do ask I'd debate lying. Being militant about the whole thing is only going to create resentment. As far as I'm concerned, most modern monotheistic religions are a load of crap created to control people, but if it makes other people happy and they don't force stuff on me, why should I care? I still go to church a few times a year to keep my mother happy. If I went around saying "God is a lie, your parents are both dead and they're not there in heaven smiling at you, they're rotting 6 feet underground", who does that help or make better?

How ya doing, buddy?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 13, 2008, 07:47 PM #7 of 7
Yeah, I should just shut up and deal with it, I always have right? I should request my thread-making privileges to be taken away! Asking such a dumb question, silly me. Alright, thank you RacinReaver and Arainach. I'll just go ahead and lock this like a good little girl.

But not without this.

SUIKODEN II, PLEASE SIGN-UP!

FELIPE NO
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Outing yourself to your/a religious family