Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Savage Beatings for Flag Desecrators

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jul 31, 2007, 04:23 PM Local time: Jul 31, 2007, 04:23 PM #1 of 8
Savage Beatings for Flag Desecrators

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...D=200770725118

Long story shortend; in North Carolina, the Kuhns were displaying an American flag upside down with signs tacked onto it, such as a picture of George Bush with "Out Now" written on it.

Somebody complained about it being a desecration of the Flag, and it is illegal in North Carolina to desecrate the flags of the United States and North Carolina.

A Sheriff's Deputy, Brian Scarborough, responded to the complaint and told them that they couldn't display the flag. The Kuhns brought the flag inside the house, and the Deputy then demanded that they identify themselves so that he could issue a citation. The Kuhns refused (there is no law in North Carolina which obligates you to identify yourself) and the deputy tried to enter their house, only to have the door slammed shut in his face, causing a window pane to break.

The Deputy claims that they slammed the door on his hand while he was trying to force entry, while the Kuhns claim that they shut and locked it, causing the deputy to go berserk and smash in the glass on the window to unlock the door from the inside. When Scarborough forced his way into the house, he savagely beat Mr. Kuhn while arresting him and called for backup.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Kuhn are being charged with resisting arrest, assaulting a government employee, and desecrating the flag.

Now, the President of the North Carolina ACLU is representing the Kuhns pro bono, and it's sparked a Flag desecration debate in North Carolina.

Now the case comes down to he-said-she said, and Scarborough will definitely be favored unless the witnesses to the event contradict his statement.

So we've got a cop coming onto a citizen's property to enforce a law which violates their Constitutional rights, and then when attempting to identify them for a citation, which they aren't obligated to do, he invaded their home.

Even if the Kuhns did slam the door on Scarborough's hand, it should be considered well justified, since the officer displayed a gross disregard for their rights as both citizens and property owners.

The quotes from Republican and Democratic senators in North Carolina is also a comedic microcosm of everything wrong with American politics:

Quote:
“At my gut level, it does upset me, and I want to be very careful not to violate anyone’s constitutional rights,” Rep. Ray Rapp, D-Mars Hill, said of flag desecration as a form of expression. “But I’m also sensitive to the importance of these symbols to our nation, and I have something of a visceral reaction against that.”...

Changing a state law would require action from the General Assembly. Some Western North Carolina lawmakers said they would have no part in that.

“I think the flag is a symbol of this country that should be cherished and honored, and I think the authorities did the absolute right thing,” said Sen. Tom Apodaca, R-Hendersonville. “You can express your opinions under the First Amendment without desecrating the flag. That’s the symbol of this country. It’s what it stands for. If they don’t like it, they can leave.”

Sen. Charles Thomas, R-Asheville, said he would vote to ban flag desecration at every opportunity. Thomas served in the U.S. Army for 10 years.

“As a soldier, I find it very offensive,” he said.

Rep. Susan Fisher, D-Asheville, said she would be interested in debating the law after learning more about it. Flag desecration cases should be looked at individually, she said.

“I wouldn’t burn a flag, but I also would not limit a person’s right under the Constitution, and that’s what I mean by taking these things on a case-by-case basis,” she said.
So Republicans engage in faux chest-beating patriotism in the name of violating our First Ammendment rights, while Democrats sit on the fence without making a moral stance being career politicians, consequently violating the First Ammendment just a little.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Excrono
HD-497

Member 141

Level 14.84

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2007, 05:22 PM Local time: Jul 31, 2007, 04:22 PM #2 of 8
The Deputy wasn't thinking too clearly I imagine, as he did not have a warrant to enter the property, and all he would have had to do to issue the citation is look up the name associated with the address of the house that he was not able to enter. And to top it all off, he beats the guy because he was too angry grom getting his hand slammed in the door. The sad thing is, the deputy will most likely win as he is a police officer, and was acting like a "patriot" in the defense of the flag (i.e. invading someone else's property, and beating them for no good reason). To many, his incompetence and mistakes won't even matter as the people displaying the flag seem anti-American.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2007, 05:38 PM #3 of 8
The Khun's account is backed up by an eyewitness. It would seem that the Deputy did not, in fact, have his hand slammed in the door, but chose to break into the poperty:

Quote:
Jimmy Stevenson, who was working with Ace Hardwood Floors nearby and asserts that he saw Scarborough break down the door.

“I saw that one cop [Scarborough] pull up and I saw those people come out on the porch and start talking to him,” Stevenson said. “They took their flag down, asked the officer to leave and closed the door. Then he started kicking the door, he kicked it about five or six good times, then he laid right into it. After he got done kicking it, he broke the window out – I saw him hit the window.”

Most amazing jew boots
---
Sparkster
Furfag

Member 11874

Level 8.06

Aug 2006

Old Jul 31, 2007, 05:50 PM #4 of 8
America, where policemen ignore law.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Woah
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jul 31, 2007, 05:56 PM Local time: Jul 31, 2007, 05:56 PM #5 of 8
Like it doesn't happen in every country.

Most amazing jew boots
Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2007, 06:12 PM #6 of 8
Actually, I think the more frightening thing was the reactions by the politicians. I mean, I had vague ideas about the general characterization of each party, but to see quotes from actual politicians that are so strongly a caricature of the parties...it's kind of disturbing that the people who run our country should be so one dimensional.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Plankton614
Carob Nut

Member 3357

Level 6.34

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2007, 03:03 PM #7 of 8
This is what I feel is wrong with our country: the people that lead our country are largely, as Avalokiteshvara said, "one-dimensional". It seems like many Democrats are so concerned with being PC and not alienating voters that they refuse to take a stance; Republicans, on the other hand, are all about defending the symbols of our country, clinging on to a "patriotic" pride as a means of reassuring their constituency. =/

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > Savage Beatings for Flag Desecrators