Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Windows Media Player 9 corrupting MP3s?
Closed Thread

Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Jul 15, 2007, 06:16 PM #1 of 4
Windows Media Player 9 corrupting MP3s?

Man, I can't believe I just found out about this. Like a month ago, I was playing my MP3 collection on someone else's computer and it only had Windows Media Player 9. However, I just found out that the blasted program corrupted a lot of my MP3s (the ones that were actually played). By corrupted, I mean that the SFVs are showing that they were changed. I was looking at some and it seems that some MP3s that originally only had ID3v2 tags now have ID3v1 tags too! This really sucks, considering that a lot of those were from really rare and hard to get group releases.

Anyway, what I want to know is if there's any way to restore those MP3s and if this kind of problem with WMP9 had ever happened before. Thanks.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2007, 06:51 PM Local time: Jul 16, 2007, 07:51 AM #2 of 4
Nothing was corrupted. And ID3v1 tags are easily removable.

Most amazing jew boots
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2007, 07:48 PM Local time: Jul 16, 2007, 01:48 AM #3 of 4
SFV errors show up any change that happened to a file, even something like if you change the tag by one character in an mp3. SFV doesn't make any difference if its just a tag or the whole mp3 being screwed; it shows if a change was done or is the file still the same.

Chances are that WMP rewrote your tags (big fucking deal) during one of its automatical info query crap, I guess, nobody uses that bloated piece of shit so I can't tell for sure.

If you are absolutely paranoid you can try redownloading your old copy into a different folder, and then do a foobar bitcompare between the modified and the original file. But thats way too unlikely that wmp modified anything but the tags.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Jul 15, 2007, 08:02 PM #4 of 4
If you are absolutely paranoid you can try redownloading your old copy into a different folder, and then do a foobar bitcompare between the modified and the original file. But thats way too unlikely that wmp modified anything but the tags.
Yeah, I just checked more of them, and that's what it seems like. Man this sux. There goes all that time that I spent trying to get SFV correct releases...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Windows Media Player 9 corrupting MP3s?