Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

proper settings for spc -> mp3?

penny
Wark!

Member 25361

Level 1.60

Oct 2007

Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:05 AM #1 of 14
proper settings for spc -> mp3?

SPC Questions

I'm wondering what the idea settings are to convert SPC -> MP3.

Some people seem to "up" the sample rate. SPC is natively at 32khz, but people seem to output them to 44.1khz.

What is the point of this? If it does somehow sound "better"... how does it? How can you sound better than the original source material?

If you burn a 32khz mp3 to a CD, does it upconvert to 44.1khz? I'm assuming yes but I don't really know. Is that the reason people do it?

So ultimately I'm wondering:

1) does it sound better at 44.1khz? if so, why/how?
2) if you save a 32khz wav as a 44.1khz mp3, how much space is lost? Is any quality lost? ie, is it resampled?
3) what settings do you think should be used when converting spc's to mp3s and why?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
penny
Wark!

Member 25361

Level 1.60

Oct 2007

Old Oct 1, 2009, 01:32 PM #2 of 14
I still don't understand how the authors of SPC codecs can claim it sounds better..

some of their claims: Some SPC players, including SNESAmp, can even produce higher-quality output than the SPC700 itself by outputting the sound at a higher sampling rate (up to 192 kHz), using more complex sound interpolation methods and using a special "High Quality" enhancement feature (as in SNESAmp):

LiquidAcid, do tools like these lose quality when outting to a higher sampling rate?

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > proper settings for spc -> mp3?