Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Guide to Proper Lossless Rips

Sonic 3
Carob Nut

Member 4474

Level 6.19

Apr 2006

Old Apr 1, 2006, 10:38 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 04:38 AM #26 of 105
Isn't there a way to just hook up the Console to your p.c., and then use a audio ripper/sound recorder program to grab the sound you want? Obivously this would not work for every track, and obviosuly you would need some kind of an adaptor to make it work (I.E. all I have is the Red, White and Yellow wires - basic scart lead)

There's nowhere I can't reach.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 08:44 AM #27 of 105
Sure. You need a "Stereo RCA to 3.5mm (or 1/8") Y-cable".

Make sure the RCA ends are female and the 3.5mm end is male.

Plug the audio leads from the console to the RCA ends of the cable. Plug the 3.5mm (1/8") end of the cable into your computer's soundcard's "line-in" or "aux" jack.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
CileGray
Chocobo

Member 611

Level 14.26

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 09:03 AM #28 of 105
Originally Posted by ArrowHead
Sure. You need a "Stereo RCA to 3.5mm (or 1/8") Y-cable".

Make sure the RCA ends are female and the 3.5mm end is male.

Plug the audio leads from the console to the RCA ends of the cable. Plug the 3.5mm (1/8") end of the cable into your computer's soundcard's "line-in" or "aux" jack.
This conversation is COMPLETELY off-topic and should be moved to an appropriate thread... I don't mean to be moderating things here... but stop crapping Eleo's thread.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I'm a zombie.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 09:08 AM #29 of 105
I'm just answering the question. Sure, splitting the thread sounds like a good idea.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:30 AM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 10:30 PM #30 of 105
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
I'm sort of curious, is there any way to use EAC to extract the audio tracks, while letting Alcohol 120% extract the data in a Game CD? More important, whould this still guarentee a perfect rip on both sides?
For those who want to know, I found a program that does exactly what I asked for! It rips the data and audio tracks perfectly (if your CD-ROM drive supports good DAE), it's CDRWin (which you need to buy/crack to get any good use out of it). If your game CD is single session (aka the game data is track one, not the first audio track), this will be the program of choice, it rips the CD to BIN/CUE. It does not rip copy protected CDs well though (though most games with CD tracks are too old to have a good form of copy protection), Discjuggler and Alcohol 120% are much better suited for that purpose.
It's the most 'proper' way to rip Data + Audio CDs.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Kaiten; Apr 3, 2006 at 12:35 AM.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 03:24 PM #31 of 105
I've heard of that tool; I haven't used it in years. I don't know for sure if ripping audio as data yields a 1:1 copy. Would you mind doing a wav comparison to that audio ripped from the CD with EAC and then the audio ripped from EAC from the burned iso generated by CDRWin?

EAC has a wav comparison tool, if you didn't already know.

FELIPE NO
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:29 PM Local time: Apr 3, 2006, 07:29 PM #32 of 105
Originally Posted by Eleo
I've heard of that tool; I haven't used it in years. I don't know for sure if ripping audio as data yields a 1:1 copy. Would you mind doing a wav comparison to that audio ripped from the CD with EAC and then the audio ripped from EAC from the burned iso generated by CDRWin?

EAC has a wav comparison tool, if you didn't already know.
I did with two CDs, it yielded perfect copies (albeit I needed to use offset correction on the CD image, but I have to do that on the real CD as well). I assume this only works well on CDs in acceptable condition, I don't know if CDRWin will read damaged CDDA tracks very well.

BTW: CDRWin made a BIN/CUE CD image in the case where I used it. ISO images can only store one track/session of data or audio. But considering BIN/CUE files are greatly superior to ISOs (but not the end all format unfourtunately) and are supported in a vast number of programs such as daemon tools, I don't see any reason to use ISO over a BIN/CUE image; except if you want to convert the audio tracks to mp3 and have an ISO+Mp3.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:41 PM #33 of 105
Can your burn BIN/CUEs with EAC? Because I don't know any other software the supports write offset correction.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:49 PM Local time: Apr 3, 2006, 07:49 PM #34 of 105
Can your burn BIN/CUEs with EAC? Because I don't know any other software the supports write offset correction.
EAC can only burn Audio CUEs, you'd have to use some other program to burn the whole CD to a CD-R. Of course if you want to useit as an Audio CD, just extract the tracks with EAC (with the image mounted in daemon tools) and you'll get a copy of the audio. Otheriwise, settle for a non-offset corrected CD or just make a backup of the image.
Too bad EAC can't extract/burn data tracks...

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:52 PM #35 of 105
Yeah that sucks. On the other hand it is pretty much perfect in every other regard.

Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:58 PM Local time: Apr 3, 2006, 07:58 PM #36 of 105
Yeah that sucks. On the other hand it is pretty much perfect in every other regard.
In fact if you supplied the offset your CD-ROM uses, other people could make perfect rips, no need to make a crappy ISO and a separate WAV+CUE rip. It certainly makes more sense to me (although you can't use FLAC or MAC on a BIN/CUE, but WinRAR or 7-Zip does the job just fine).
I wish daemon-tools supported compressed CD Images.

sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 09:07 PM Local time: May 18, 2006, 06:07 PM #37 of 105
Okay, I just ripped my first pre-gapped CD. Hadn't been thinking to look before, but anyway, I have a few questions:

I uploaded a few misc. files in a zip, the cues and log, just wanting to make sure this is the way they should look. And two, is it recommended to make both a non-compliant and Image CUE, regardless if there are pregaps? Thinking it might be useful to some at least and noticed Eleo's rips I have checked out have both, one of which didn't list it as having a pregap. So, figured I should ask...

Lastly, the FAQ lists as doing the pregap as compressed. Was wondering, wouldn't it be better to have it uncompressed like the rest of the rip? EAC on my end has both the pregap as WAV and MP3 by the time it's done. So, was wondering which of the two, or both, need to be kept with the rip?

In any case, thanks all!

EDIT: Nevermind the part about using Compressed or Uncompressed. Was using the guide at the GFF tracker which lists just using compressed, while here it says you can use either...

That said, any other info would be welcome.

How ya doing, buddy?
Attached Files
File Type: zip The Vision of Escaflowne Original Soundtrack 2.zip (3.1 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by sabbey; May 18, 2006 at 09:21 PM.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 06:54 AM #38 of 105
No. What is this nonsense about data? EAC is an AUDIO rip/burn program, not a general rip/burn program.

I'd say it would be nice it it could burn audio-CD's from FLAC+CUE or MP3+CUE - but burning data CD's just isn't what EAC is made for.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 08:47 AM #39 of 105
Yes, but in the process of making 1:1 copies of CDs, burning Audio + Data is sometimes necessary.

FELIPE NO
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 03:57 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 01:57 PM #40 of 105
Plus, if you want to perfectly preserve a game CD, copying the audio and data sectors seems awfully redundant.
EDIT: Waht I think should be done is have CDRWin, Alcohol 120%, Discjuggler, etc support forced rereads of RAW data and offset correction. This would make it very close to EAC quality copies (plus CD-ROM drives with sub-par DAE would get better copies in these programs, since they do an equivalent to burst mode in EAC).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Kaiten; May 20, 2006 at 04:00 PM.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 07:53 PM #41 of 105
Yeah, that would probably be best. I'm surprised if such a read mode (secure raw w/ offset correction) doesn't already exist... ?

How ya doing, buddy?
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2006, 12:13 PM Local time: May 23, 2006, 10:13 AM #42 of 105
Most likely because most CDDA games don't factor the audio into copy protection. In fact most CDs that have CDDA tracks don't have very strong copy protection (most games released in the past six years don't even use CDDA anymore, it takes up too much space). Since data CDs as a primary mode of optical disc distribution is declining due to DVDs, I don't see anyone doing this anytime soon.

sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:49 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 08:49 PM #43 of 105
Here's a quick question...

I have been using "Installed external ASPI interface" on my rips under the "Use of SCSI interface" option, since I heard it makes for better quality. However, my external DVD burner seems to only show up in EAC with "Native Win32 interface for Win NT/2000/XP" selected. Any idea why, and is there anything I can do to change that? Hell, is there really any difference between the two? If not, I'll make the switch back to the other so all three drives are listed.

Overall, I can't say I care too much, only using it for ripping hybrid SACDs. None of the others in my experience can see such discs when one is in the drive.

Exact Audio Copy also allows the use of a write offset correction. (Just like your drive reads too early or too late, it writes too early or too late also.) Burrrn does not.
BTW, any idea how one can find what the write offset is? That read offset database you linked to is of great help, is there one for the write offset as well?

Last edited by sabbey; Jun 15, 2006 at 01:27 AM.
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2006, 11:04 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2006, 09:04 PM #44 of 105
Originally Posted by sabbey

I have been using "Installed external ASPI interface" on my rips under the "Use of SCSI interface" option, since I heard it makes for better quality. However, my external DVD burner seems to only show up in EAC with "Native Win32 interface for Win NT/2000/XP" selected. Any idea why, and is there anything I can do to change that? Hell, is there really any difference between the two? If not, I'll make the switch back to the other so all three drives are listed.

Overall, I can't say I care too much, only using it for ripping hybrid SACDs. None of the others in my experience can see such discs when one is in the drive.

BTW, any idea how one can find what the write offset is? That read offset database you linked to is of great help, is there one for the write offset as well?
I find that copying and pasting the WNASPI32.DLL to the EAC directory solves this problem, DAEMON Tools has a tendancy to mess with things. But unless you are having problems with the native CD interface, there's no need to switch, I've never had any problems while not using ASPI.
As for determining write offset, just follow this guide. If you can't enter the combined read/write offset in EAC (because you're using AccurateRip), move the AccurateRip.dll to another folder, enter the combined read/write offset correction and move the dll back.
Further reading on offsets:
http://users.pandora.be/satcp/eacoffsets00.htm#- Very in depth information on offsets
http://users.pandora.be/satcp/eacoffsets02.htm#- How to find the read offset
http://users.pandora.be/satcp/eacoffsets03.htm#- How to find the write offset and combined read/write offset (same as the link listed above).

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 01:19 PM #45 of 105
Originally Posted by sabbey

Sorry for the late response. Actually there's a guide on it here. It takes some time but it's not terribly difficult.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:17 PM Local time: Jul 7, 2006, 05:17 PM #46 of 105
Sorry for the late response. Actually there's a guide on it here. It takes some time but it's not terribly difficult.
Actually my post addressed the exact same article, but all is good, it just tells sabbey how good a source it is .

Last edited by Kaiten; Jul 7, 2006 at 07:32 PM.
YoMan
Wild Boys

Member 396

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 05:53 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2006, 11:53 PM #47 of 105
Quick question.

Ok, how come a track that I ripped a couple of weeks ago worked fine then, but suddenly now refuses to work and is corrupt? I don't get that. And is there a way to fix this or do i have to rip it all over again?

I get this error:

FLAC__FILE_DECODER_SEEKABLE_STREAM_DECODER_ERROR

Any thoughts on this?

FELIPE NO
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 06:13 PM #48 of 105
I don't know, can you decode it to wav, with official flac or third-party tools?

Most amazing jew boots
YoMan
Wild Boys

Member 396

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 06:38 PM Local time: Jul 9, 2006, 12:38 AM #49 of 105
flac -> wav doesn't work either. When i initially did the rip i used flac frontend to encode, so i tried to decode with it to and still nothing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 07:13 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2006, 05:13 PM #50 of 105
Provided you haven't done anything to the file since you last successfully played it, the file could be corrupt. It happens for various reasons and most of them would be enough to worry about. Have any other files that depend on redundancy checking (like Zip or RAR files) produced similar errors recently?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Guide to Proper Lossless Rips