Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Software to edit mp3, without reducing quality?

eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2007, 07:58 AM Local time: Sep 1, 2007, 07:58 PM #1 of 16
Software to edit mp3, without reducing quality?

hi guys, I wonder if someone could help me? I have some problems with my mp3, there are some part of the mp3 corrupted, and popped a sound which makes me uncomfortable. I wonder if someone knows good software to fix an mp3 without reducing the quality?

At the moment I'm using mp3 direct cut, it could fix mp3 directly without re-encoding, but problem comes when it couldnt zoom the wave graph, makes it hard to fix a file.

Any recommendation would be appreciated.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
cubed
Knock knock who's there? Me! I keel you!

Member 858

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2007, 09:22 AM #2 of 16
Adobe Audition ?

I never tried to edit a MP3 (only WAVs), but you should give it a try. You never know if you don't lose quality.

How ya doing, buddy?

---------------{ Currently playing }--
... Nothing.... really.

-----------------------{ Last rips }--
Trauma Center New Blood (Wii)
Trauma Center Second Opinion (Wii)
Planet Puzzle League (DS)

---{ Currently in ripping progress }--
Dragoneer's Aria (PSP)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)

-----------{ Other stuffs about me }--
My VGM Collection
(last update: mar. 03, 2008)

--------------------------------------
Spikey
Sierra Music Quester

Member 13178

Level 13.35

Sep 2006

Old Sep 1, 2007, 09:44 AM Local time: Sep 2, 2007, 01:14 AM #3 of 16
In Cool Edit/Adobe Audition you can probably edit a MP3 file without needing to lose quality. And it will be able to perform the pop removal.

Also, if you convert or save it to a WAV there's no quality loss, that is, if you want it as a WAV or are just burning it to CD again, no problem- otherwise you'll need to reencode it.

- Spike

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:39 AM Local time: Sep 1, 2007, 10:39 PM #4 of 16
cool edit sounds good for me. I guess I will search for it then, though I really hope someone could recommend some freewares =O

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:39 AM Local time: Sep 1, 2007, 05:39 PM #5 of 16
I don't think anything else than mp3 direct cut will allow you to edit the mp3 without re-encoding. And yeah, re-encoding does mean loss of quality. =/

I was speaking idiomatically.
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:50 AM Local time: Sep 1, 2007, 10:50 PM #6 of 16
Oh, is there any quality loss if I do it like mp3>wav>mp3?

mp3 direct cut is good, but duh, it's cumbersome when I want to remove the smallest corrupted frame =x

Most amazing jew boots

niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:55 AM Local time: Sep 1, 2007, 05:55 PM #7 of 16
Well, yes.

CD -> MP3 #1 = loss of quality #1

MP3 -> WAV = just an increase in size

WAV -> MP3 #2 = loss of quality #2

What mp3 direct cut allows you to do is actually quite awesome, even in its limitation. I personally don't know of any other way to do it.

FELIPE NO
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:56 AM Local time: Sep 1, 2007, 10:56 PM #8 of 16
I guess I have no other choice but to use mp3 direct cut eh? Thanks for all the help guys.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:59 AM Local time: Sep 1, 2007, 05:59 PM #9 of 16
Well, if you don't want a quality loss, nope, at least from my knowledge.

To decide if the clipping is more annoying than the loss of quality is up to you. Just avoid sharing the mp3 in the future. ^_^;

How ya doing, buddy?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Sep 2, 2007, 07:50 AM Local time: Sep 2, 2007, 01:50 PM 1 #10 of 16
foobar2000 has a integrated tool that rebuilds the MPEG stream. It simply analyzes the stream and removes blocks that are not MPEG blocks. This simply removes anything like ID3 tags, faulty MPEG frames and other garbage introduced by programs that don't know you to handle MPEG files.
IIRC the tags are saved and restored in the process.

If you have music encoded in MP3 with bad frames you could use this feature to remove the bad frames. This will of course not restore the faulty data. It only removes it, sometimes you won't notice this (instead of the pop / hickup the decoder produces when encountering the bad frame).

Another nice tool is mp3splt which can split MPEG streams when sync errors occur (sync error mostly occur because of corrupted MPEG frames). So you could split your file at these points. Then reconstruct the missing middle section with methods only you know
Then encode the reconstructed data and merge the three files.

Yet another tool that can rebuild the MPEG stream is mp3val (it's originally a unix tool, but I think that you can find a win32 build). It mainly does the same thing as foobar2k, sometimes better.

I always do a verification scan with foobar2k after downloading music and most of the time the encodes have no correct VBR header written to the files, which breaks gapless playback and correct display of playing time. fb2k also provides a tool to rewrite the VBR headers but sometimes refuses if there's too much additional garbage in the files.
I encountered a few files which I rebuild using the internal fb2k MPEG rebuilder but that didn't help. mp3val however did the trick.

There are even more tools:
- MP3Utility (scans your files for sync errors, etc.)
- mp3trim (editing without reencoding)
- mptrim

There's nowhere I can't reach.
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2007, 08:08 AM Local time: Sep 2, 2007, 08:08 PM #11 of 16
mp3val and foobar2k sound promising. I will download them then, thanks for the tips ^_^

Most amazing jew boots

LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Sep 2, 2007, 08:23 AM Local time: Sep 2, 2007, 02:23 PM #12 of 16
When rebuilding with fb2k create a backup first. fb2k overwrites the source data while rebuilding. mp3val should create a backup of the file.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Waxer
Level 27 Creeper Legionare

Member 24409

Level 1.02

Sep 2007

Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:36 AM Local time: Sep 12, 2007, 09:36 AM #13 of 16
I personally use Sony Soundforge 8.0. I've been able to edit most everything from .wma to .m4a and everything from that to .mp3. It really is pretty nifty, all the stuff I got as .m4a from limewire that was originally from itunes I can turn to .mp3 as I don't use itunes. It can also accept some video files for you to take the audio directly but I mainly use it to edit, extend, or mix. Hope that helps out bro.

Most amazing jew boots
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:10 PM Local time: Sep 12, 2007, 07:10 PM #14 of 16
I personally use Sony Soundforge 8.0. I've been able to edit most everything from .wma to .m4a and everything from that to .mp3. It really is pretty nifty, all the stuff I got as .m4a from limewire that was originally from itunes I can turn to .mp3 as I don't use itunes. It can also accept some video files for you to take the audio directly but I mainly use it to edit, extend, or mix. Hope that helps out bro.
If you had read the entire thread, you would know that what you describe involves a loss of quality.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
neus
You're getting slower!

Member 512

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:32 PM #15 of 16
Don't mean to be a jackass but why not just a clean version of the song? Seems like less trouble.

FELIPE NO
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:40 PM Local time: Sep 13, 2007, 11:40 AM #16 of 16
a bit Off topic, but because a bandwidth issue. Sadly I have bad luck on re-downloading an album if it hosted on any webhost other than mediafire.

I could get a nice 40 KB/s when leeching from that site, in contrarily,I only get about 2-3 kb/s through megaupload (the album is hosted on latter that's why...)

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Software to edit mp3, without reducing quality?