Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

PSP Music and Ripping?

L-Sama_no_Miko
Meeples

Member 874

Level 11.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:44 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 10:44 PM #1 of 15
PSP Music and Ripping?

I've been looking around here for awhile, and I found one lonely topic on ripping PSP games to your computer... but is there anything particular that you'll need to do after that to rip music from the game?

I'm interested in a few PSP soundtracks that don't have a CD release, and want to possibly try to rip them, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:24 AM #2 of 15
There are at least two known ways to rip PSP music so far. Alas, they don't work all of the time, yet from my experience, I've been lucky with the majority of the few attempts I've tried.

1. Download and install Sony's ATRAC3 codec. This will allow you to open the PSP games' *.at3 music files and convert them.

2. Another method is described here: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=6087
You'll have to download Sony's Sonicstage and HIMDRENDERER. Follow the steps and you should be able to convert the *.at3 files.

If one method doesn't work with a certain game, try the other. If it still doesn't work, tough luck! There might be other ways, but that's all the knowledge I've gathered so far.

How ya doing, buddy?
Basil
Banned

Member 499

Level 48.58

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:53 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 09:53 AM #3 of 15
If one method doesn't work with a certain game, try the other. If it still doesn't work, tough luck! There might be other ways, but that's all the knowledge I've gathered so far.
There is the standard line-in method of ripping, isn't there? Or does the PSP even have a headphone jack? :/

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:40 AM #4 of 15
Indeed, I didn't mention this method since it's always possible (or almost; you need an output from the system and that the audio isn't protected), but it's good you've put it in place here, correcting me.

And yes, the PSP has an headphone jack.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
L-Sama_no_Miko
Meeples

Member 874

Level 11.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:23 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 11:23 PM #5 of 15
And I'm interested in snagging the music from an RPG that has a big soundtrack. So... XD;;

That might take a little longer than I really want to use. *laughs*

But thanks for the help, guys!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Killy
Xmd5a

Member 324

Level 27.07

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2007, 06:42 AM Local time: May 23, 2007, 12:42 PM #6 of 15
Most RPGs for the PSP seem to have their own proprietary formats, and so they're not always easy to detect if they're stored in archives. VAG is a commonly used format for Playstation games in general and there is a possiblity that you might encounter this format. If you do, there's always PSound - it should be able to decode the VAGs. Best of luck!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Servbot#42
Chocobo

Member 21590

Level 11.94

Mar 2007

Old May 24, 2007, 01:16 PM Local time: May 24, 2007, 08:16 PM #7 of 15
I think that it would be possible to make a PSF-like format for PSP. That is provided that the different sound file formats on the PSP discs are not too specialized.

FELIPE NO
Killy
Xmd5a

Member 324

Level 27.07

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2007, 05:56 PM Local time: May 24, 2007, 11:56 PM #8 of 15
Quote:
That is provided that the different sound file formats on the PSP discs are not too specialized.
Which they are, mostly. Besides, I don't think we'll be seeing a PSF-like format when there's VAG and AT3 in use, among others.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
cubed
Knock knock who's there? Me! I keel you!

Member 858

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2007, 06:22 PM #9 of 15
There is the standard line-in method of ripping, isn't there? Or does the PSP even have a headphone jack? :/
I did my Exit, Kingdom of Paradise and Rengoku's gamerips via the headphone jack, you know ._.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

---------------{ Currently playing }--
... Nothing.... really.

-----------------------{ Last rips }--
Trauma Center New Blood (Wii)
Trauma Center Second Opinion (Wii)
Planet Puzzle League (DS)

---{ Currently in ripping progress }--
Dragoneer's Aria (PSP)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)

-----------{ Other stuffs about me }--
My VGM Collection
(last update: mar. 03, 2008)

--------------------------------------
Keero
Time-Shifter

Member 754

Level 7.21

Mar 2006

Old May 24, 2007, 11:00 PM #10 of 15
I did my Exit, Kingdom of Paradise and Rengoku's gamerips via the headphone jack, you know ._.
yea thats the only way to do it really. I use my IRIVER PMP-130 for recording and such. Just get a line in cord and plug it from your psp to your computer. If you don't have a mp3 recording device that is. Get a sound ripper.

http://www.download.com/Streaming-Au...0-21684-0.html

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Servbot#42
Chocobo

Member 21590

Level 11.94

Mar 2007

Old May 25, 2007, 08:34 PM Local time: May 26, 2007, 03:34 AM #11 of 15
Which they are, mostly. Besides, I don't think we'll be seeing a PSF-like format when there's VAG and AT3 in use, among others.
I guess that isn't really anything new for the Playstation. I know that there are Playstation games that can't have PSFs ripped because they use some type of alternate music format. I miss the simplicity of consoles that just use a standard, easy to rip music format.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Walleye
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 26524

Level 1.02

Nov 2007

Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:30 PM #12 of 15
I realise this is an old thread, but I just cannot find answers anywhere.

I want to rip some music from my PSP games, and I have read about the "line-in" method via the headphone jack.

What do I need, specificly, to be able to use this method to rip music from my games?

Thanks in advance,
Walleye.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Walleye; Nov 25, 2007 at 11:35 AM.
cubed
Knock knock who's there? Me! I keel you!

Member 858

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Nov 25, 2007, 02:09 PM #13 of 15
This one is a start.

... But this one's better.

EDIT:
I know the latter is 100ft, but I didn't find any 6ft gold on radioshack. Anyway you got the point that gold is better.

I was speaking idiomatically.

---------------{ Currently playing }--
... Nothing.... really.

-----------------------{ Last rips }--
Trauma Center New Blood (Wii)
Trauma Center Second Opinion (Wii)
Planet Puzzle League (DS)

---{ Currently in ripping progress }--
Dragoneer's Aria (PSP)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)

-----------{ Other stuffs about me }--
My VGM Collection
(last update: mar. 03, 2008)

--------------------------------------

Last edited by cubed; Nov 25, 2007 at 02:17 PM.
Walleye
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 26524

Level 1.02

Nov 2007

Old Nov 25, 2007, 05:53 PM #14 of 15
Thanks cubed. I had a look around, turns out I had a working cable lol. I've started to record some music now. Quality is excellant.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
QuentinT
Syklis Green

Member 26171

Level 8.62

Nov 2007

Old Apr 14, 2008, 05:08 PM #15 of 15
For the majority of my PSP rips i use Rimo's method, however some games have there at3 files stored in bigfiles. You can scan these with nova extractor or dragon unpacker, it will show up as WAV though because at3 has a RIFF header in them, but it still is at3, rename the extensions to at3 and it should decode with HI-MD renderer.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > PSP Music and Ripping?