Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Winamp is making my brain hurt.

acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:22 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 11:22 AM #1 of 9
Winamp is making my brain hurt.

Alright so here's the story.

Using winamp, I don't usually use playlists, media library's etc. I just like to hit "open file" find the mp3 I want, and away I go. This has been good. Now I like to have my mp3s arranged in alphabetical order.

Now this has been going just fine, up until sometime last night when winamp decided that arrange by name wasn't good enough. Now everytime I open the browser with winamp I get everything arranged by when it was last modified. Now usually, I could just right click, hit "arrange - name" and it would be fine. And that does work. Except the next time I try to open a file,it's back all screwy.

Now when I open it with regular old windows explorer and look around, everything is fine. The only problem here seems to be when i try to browse my mp3s using winamp. How can I fix this. I tried updating my winamp, and nothing. Reboot, nothing. Maybe completely uninstall/reinstall? Or is there something here I'm simply not getting.

Any help is appreciated.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
Yume
New Born.

Member 1395

Level 11.82

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:32 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 06:32 PM #2 of 9
You said that you were getting this up until one point one night, did you install any programs that night?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
acid

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:35 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 11:35 AM #3 of 9
Originally Posted by Yume
You said that you were getting this up until one point one night, did you install any programs that night?
Nope nothing. It's almost like winamp just decided to do it's own thing. Scanned for viruses etc too. Not that either.

Edit - I uninstalled/reinstalled winamp. Nothing. Still the same problem.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight

Last edited by acid; Aug 16, 2006 at 12:40 PM.
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 01:09 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 07:09 PM #4 of 9
First off, what version of winamp?

My 2.9x started doing this one day, but doing this makes it switch back to how I like it (how it used to do it)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 01:12 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 07:12 PM #5 of 9
May I ask what skin you are using Roph?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 01:30 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 07:30 PM #6 of 9
It's called Dark Materia, pretty nice skin =D

(rename the attachment back to .wsz and double click to install)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Dark_Materia.zip (39.2 KB, 8 views)
acid

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 01:51 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 12:51 PM #7 of 9
Originally Posted by Roph
First off, what version of winamp?

My 2.9x started doing this one day, but doing this makes it switch back to how I like it (how it used to do it)

I don't use playlists, so that doesn't work. I'll show you what I mean.

This is what I want it to look like when I hit the "Open File" button.

But this is how it comes up.

Notice the filenames all out of whack. No matter how many times I select "arrange by - name" it always defaults back to sorting them by the time they were modified.

Edit - I jsut discovered this isn't completely isolated to winamp. It seems that everytime an "open file" box comes up, it does this. When I try to upload something to imageshack, when I open a file in Photoshop, same thing. It appears to be a windows, not a winamp problem. So how do I fix that.

However if I say, go to my computer and navigate my files THAT way, everything comes up peachy-keen. It's only when I try to open a file through an open file window that I get issues.

Edit #2

Fixed the problem, thanks to finding something on my good buddy google. Had to right click on the start menu - > explore, select the c drive, sort by name, hold down CTRL and close. Reboot. Now it loads just fine.

Muchos Gracias to all.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by acid; Aug 16, 2006 at 02:09 PM.
NudeNinja
Carob Nut

Member 2379

Level 4.50

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:27 PM #8 of 9
your problem is because winamp uses the common window open dialog box.

Do you have tweakui installed, and do you have the 'save explorer display settings' set in tweakui?

well it does seem other people have your problem.. try this solution
http://www.cc-tips.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=37
Quote:
The way to do it is to open any folder in windows explorer. Then go to view/details and choose your ordering (e.g. by name). Then hold the Ctrl key and click on the X to close the window. After this, the default ordering for windows is whatever the order was before you closed the window.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by NudeNinja; Aug 16, 2006 at 05:32 PM.
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 08:16 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 02:16 PM #9 of 9
Originally Posted by Roph
It's called Dark Materia, pretty nice skin =D

(rename the attachment back to .wsz and double click to install)
Top man, thanks.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Winamp is making my brain hurt.