Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Line-in recording better through Audigy or X-Fi? XP or Vista? 44.1KHz or 48KHz?

neothe0ne
River Chocobo

Member 461

Level 25.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:26 AM #1 of 5
Line-in recording better through Audigy or X-Fi? XP or Vista? 44.1KHz or 48KHz?

(I tried to search; if this has already been asked somewhere, sorry)

I've been considering making some high(er)-quality recordings of songs which aren't available in good quality (a few Zelda TP songs come to mind).

I haven't bothered with line-in recordings in a while, so I was wondering if anyone else knew:

Do any X-Fi cards have any noticeable quality advantages over the Audigy 2 ZS for line-in recording?

Would it be better to record in Vista x64 (assuming I can find recording software I can stand to use) or XP? No difference despite differences in handling audio?

And would it be better to do the recording in 44.1KHz or 48KHz? I've heard elsewhere that the Audigy 2 ZS natively converts audio to 48KHz, maybe even poorly? I've also heard the X-Fi's don't suffer this quality degradation, but for the Audigy 2, should I tell my software to record in 44.1KHz or 48KHz?

Thanks in advance.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Killy
Xmd5a

Member 324

Level 27.07

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 07:44 PM Local time: Nov 4, 2007, 01:44 AM #2 of 5
I use X-Fi and it's worked out just fine so far. I can't tell you anything about Audigy, but as far as sampling rate is concerned - go with 44.1kHz, whether it be X-Fi or Audigy, I don't think it makes a difference if the recording source is say, 22kHz and you record in 48, it only takes up more space.

How ya doing, buddy?
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 08:42 PM Local time: Nov 4, 2007, 02:42 AM #3 of 5
All recent Soundblasters from the Live & up were made with 48khz in mind, 44.1k is internally resampled. X-Fi has six billion teraflop quad core chips on board because it needs all that power for proper resampling, especially since Audigy was sometimes criticized for its horrible internal resampler (not sure about Audigy 2 and later).

For HQ recordings, its a good practice to use as high of a sampling rate and resolution as you can, and convert back to 44.1k AFTER you edited your tracks. Preferably using some quality resampler tool (PPHS in Ultra mode perhaps, look up on Hydrogenaudio).
It's like when you color your drawings, you do it in ultra high resolutions to have less artifacts & a smoother image once finished. Doing all sound effects in higher resolutions (24-bit 96khz) can yield more accurate processing, mathematically.

And if you want high quality recording, I'd advise using a card like the Terratec Aueron or Audiotracks Prodigy; they are pretty much audiophile quality cards, both in playback as well as in recording (whereas the Soundblasters only focus on EAX, games and everything marketable, quality being an afterthought)

Of course if you dont give a fuck, just use 44.1k.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by evilboris; Nov 3, 2007 at 08:44 PM.
Spikey
Sierra Music Quester

Member 13178

Level 13.35

Sep 2006

Old Nov 5, 2007, 03:58 AM Local time: Nov 5, 2007, 07:28 PM #4 of 5
Generally Creative cards are to be avoided, they have many undesirable features, including but not limited to:
- resampling
- weird bass/treble levels/control (pro cards will have an adequate default)
- inaccurate/misleading specs (i.e. worse noise levels than claimed)
- recording limiting over certain noise/frequency levels (for example, a timpani hit or cymbal might get the top parts of the sound cut off)
- undesirable noise levels and bad sound quality for price

I recommend investing for a sound card like the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (can get for 1 buck on eBay sometimes), it's the best card in its' price range (i.e under 50-100 bucks) ever made.

- Spike

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Killy
Xmd5a

Member 324

Level 27.07

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2007, 04:13 AM Local time: Nov 5, 2007, 10:13 AM #5 of 5
Quote:
- weird bass/treble levels/control (pro cards will have an adequate default)
So true, so true. That's one of my recent problems with my soundcard, it seems to have completely cut the bass. It's really strange because I never recall making any permanent changes of that kind.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Killy; Nov 5, 2007 at 06:27 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Line-in recording better through Audigy or X-Fi? XP or Vista? 44.1KHz or 48KHz?