Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

U3, good technology or just a 'headache'?

takeru
shake it baby!

Member 7507

Level 8.18

May 2006

Old Dec 31, 2006, 09:44 AM Local time: Dec 31, 2006, 04:44 PM #1 of 3
U3, good technology or just a 'headache'?

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, look at this: U3.

Well, one of my Santas present was a new USB drive with much more capacity (a little 'upgrade' from my old 128 Mb to 2 Gb ) but then I saw for first time the word U3 on the box.

After connecting it to my computer I could start viewing the benefits: run all my programs from the USB drive and leave no clues on the PC. But, what programs? Just U3 certified programs. So, if I download a portable version of any other program, it won't be recognized by the U3 manager and it'll be just like any other USB drive.

'Ok then, if it's gonna be like any other USB drive, I prefer save those 6 MB that takes the U3 manager', i thought. Mwuahahahaha, poor guy. The drive comes with 2 partitions madden, one of them as CDSF, so I don't know any comercial program (partition magic, on my case) to erase a partition that usually can't be modified. I had to search the uninstaller and fill a stupid questionary asking why I don't like U3.

After all this experience, do you think it's a good idea all of this U3? Maybe the idea is good but not so well driven. On the shop, all pen-drives come now with U3, does this make them more expensive? Are we paying for something that we'll uninstall as soon as we can? Maybe it's the start of a new disease like all PC with Windows pre-installed on them.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:09 PM Local time: Jan 4, 2007, 10:09 PM #2 of 3
U3 is absolute shit. I just mistakenly bought a 2GB SanDisk flash drive that had this scumware on it. In fact, you can find a detailed account of my experience with it here.

Last SanDisk device I ever buy.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

It is not my custom to go where I am not invited.
spikeh
Chocobo

Member 1808

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2007, 05:40 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2007, 10:40 AM #3 of 3
You can run applications off any flash drive, there is no need to use one specifically from SanDisk. These program only has to be self-contained, or at least partially self-contained, so that it does not rely on the registry for its operations. There is a large collection of such portable freeware at http://www.portablefreeware.com/, and Wikipedia itself has a huge list of programs, although I think some may be shareware.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > U3, good technology or just a 'headache'?