Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Those Silly Xenophobic Brits

Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2007, 12:39 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2007, 01:39 PM #1 of 6
Those Silly Xenophobic Brits

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6768405.stm

Originally Posted by BBC
UK tourist visas are often denied to would-be visitors because they "plan a holiday for no particular purpose other than sightseeing", a report says. Others were turned down because they had never previously taken any foreign travel or could not speak English. The "ridiculous reasons" for rejecting visas were set out in a report by the independent monitor of UK visas.

Linda Costelloe Baker's report said that despite such flaws there had been "significant improvement in quality." But she said entry clearance officers could use "some ridiculous reasons when refusing visa for tourist visits".
She said a common reason for refusal was "you wish to go to the UK for a holiday. You have never previously undertaken any foreign travel before and I can see little reason for this trip".

[box)
EXAMPLES OF NON-PLAIN ENGLISH USED BY STAFF
  • The provenance of the funds depicted is not evidenced allied to other financial commitments
  • You have failed to complete pivotal areas of Section 6
  • I can only assess your mutual knowledge in a subjective context
Source: Independent Monitor
(/box)

In her report she says "this is a common reason for refusal but there was a first time for everyone who has gone abroad on a holiday and not having done it before is an acceptable reason for travel". Another reason to reject a tourist visa was "you plan a holiday for no particular purpose other than sightseeing". On the use of that reason, she says: "But that's what the UK is famous for, sights worth seeing."

'Live like a housewife'
She said the numbers of British people "going on their hols" would be cut if other countries emulated the UKvisas officials who rejected a tourist visa request because the applicant did not have a "sufficient command of the language for the purposes of tourism".

She also highlights the case of a person whose request was rejected by an officer because they had "little or no idea what you plan to see or do". This was, she discloses, because the person had answered the question on a form asking why they were going to the UK, with the words "annual leave vacation". That was a "perfectly sensible response", Mrs Costelloe Baker said.

Another woman was criticised for not researching the UK's background when she said she wanted to spend her four-month visit to her fiance to "just live as a housewife". "I suspect being a housewife for four months was all she wanted to do and the Immigration Rules allow that," Mrs Costelloe Baker said.

She said it was "a little naive to worry about a list of tourist sights" being outlined if applicants wanted to visit close friends. An applicant in St Petersburg wrote: "I just want a holiday, my friends live near the seaside" to which the officer wrote "you have not named any places you will see". Mrs Costelloe Baker said this was not the case - the applicant had named the "seaside".

'Plain English please!'
In one case, a man was refused a visa because the officer thought it not credible that he was going to stay in a hotel in Cirencester "far from [his] friends in Surrey and Kent". The hotel was in fact in London and the man had told the officer that he had not wanted to put a burden on his friends for his entire 28-day visit.

Mrs Costelloe Baker said the man had been offered another application free of charge and she hoped he would get an apology as well. She also said there had been improvement in the language used to explain refusals to applicants since the "very strange wordings" seen during her previous assessment. But she still called for "plain English please!"

The report covers the first nine months of 2006, which had been a very busy period for UK visas. Mrs Costelloe Baker, who is independent but appointed by the Foreign Office, concluded that overall "there has been a significant improvement in the quality of UKvisas work compared with 2005 and I have found that refusal notices are more consistent and less idiosyncratic".
Has Great Britain reached the ludicrousness of American immigration? Never toured before? Then you have no business coming to Britain!

Discuss!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Robo Jesus
Your Mechanical Messiah

Member 1543

Level 15.22

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2007, 03:29 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2007, 01:29 AM #2 of 6
...I don't think there is much to discuss. Most of the people in Britain are more than likely too jaded to really care (with exceptions to those who make thier livings off of tourism), and the rest have neither the knowledge, nor the resources, to change this.

If the people of Britain don't want tourist money, then the tourists will spend it elsewhere.

Most amazing jew boots
"You can't win, Pilate. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."-Jesus
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2007, 02:29 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2007, 07:29 PM #3 of 6
Maybe some of you will start to realise why many Brits loathe Tony Blair and his pussy government. Shit like this happens under the banner of protecting the nation.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Conan-the-3rd
[Insert genie + computing pun here]

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2007, 03:16 AM Local time: Jun 24, 2007, 09:16 AM #4 of 6
at least he'll be out on his ass in aproximately 100 hours time.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
All I'm saying is that if the laptops of the future are not in the
shape of chibi genie girls then I'm going to be sorely disappointed.
Majin yami
Callipygian Superman

Member 1810

Level 17.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2007, 03:43 AM Local time: Jun 24, 2007, 09:43 AM #5 of 6
I'm all for tougher immigration, but not allowing people to visit due to wanting to sight see? Reeks of shit if you ask me.

I was speaking idiomatically.

>: 4 8 15 16 23 42
Long Live Lost
LiveJournal: Latest Entry: My Political Leanings.
Latest JOURNAL Entry:
ITE: I review the latest album by The Guillemots (also, exam results)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Those Silly Xenophobic Brits