Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

This old laptop (Or how can I cool down a CPU without operating it in a dry ice tub?)

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:12 PM Local time: Sep 6, 2007, 09:12 PM #1 of 9
This old laptop (Or how can I cool down a CPU without operating it in a dry ice tub?)

I posted this in my journal but I guess the REAL nerds around here don't do there anymore.

So I have this old Dell laptop (Dell Inspiron 8200) that I've been using since I sold my Mac months ago, right? I've owned this laptop since we closed our graphic design shop in 2005 but the computer was with us since 2003 when it was purchased; it's on its 4th year running and is one HELL of a workhorse for a notebook. Last night one fan (of a two-fan assembly) died on it but the other still works really well and the processor seems to maintain an average temperature of about 130 °F when the system is idling but spikes up on an average of about 20-30 °F above that when the processor is working.

QUESTION:

Should ANY notebook processor EVER record a temperature of 201 °F? Because ever since the first fan went out the CPU has been reporting peak temperatures of up to 201 °F and the GPU reports peak temperatures of 159 °F. I'm not too versed on what peak temperatures are supposed to be for processors but 200 °F+ seems like a LOT to me and since I don't know when I'm gonna be getting a new computer, I REALLY don't wanna lose this one if the processor or motherboard burns out.

So what should I do? I've looked on eBay for fan replacements and they have none and the running cost of a replacement fan is $80 inclusing shipping; which seems worth it to me, considering it's, you know, NOT THE PRICE OF A WHOLE NEW COMPUTER. I'll probably buy it just for peace of mind because I have no doubt that this second fan is soon to follow the other one to its plastic grave but would this be the only problem this computer is having in the cooling system? I took the computer apart about a year ago and dusted it through and through as well as added a fresh layer of silver compound thermal paste to the processor but is there anything else I can do to make sure my computer doesn't bust a gasket somewhere else down the road?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
shadoweave
Chocobo

Member 23806

Level 9.35

Aug 2007

Old Sep 7, 2007, 07:54 AM Local time: Sep 7, 2007, 08:54 PM #2 of 9
Technically I guess you could just use a cooling pad for the laptop or something? Seriously though, 201°F is really too hot for a laptop. I believe processor temperatures should be approximately 160°F or so. Then again, you could keep it running at that temperature till it dies.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
BIGWORM
"You're falling behind, mercenary."

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:26 AM #3 of 9
200f = 93c = WOW! I'm actually suprised it didn't reach it's threshold (or maybe it did)...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:59 AM Local time: Sep 7, 2007, 10:59 PM #4 of 9
I'm going to spam in this thread by saying that when I saw "This Old Laptop" all I could think was "...with Bob Vila."

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
killmoms - Well, don't really.
Makin' trailers er'ry day.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Sep 8, 2007, 04:47 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2007, 10:47 AM #5 of 9
Have you checked if you could instead use two single fans? Maybe this config also fits (you probably have to fixate it with some adhesive).

If you don't fix it then the system is going to die soon. And you don't want to spend big money to get a real replacement, so fixing it the DIY-way is the only thing left IF you want to keep this system.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kajun
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 12639

Level 1.86

Sep 2006

Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:01 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2007, 06:01 PM #6 of 9
Your Dell has a mobile Pentium 4 processor, which isn't really that 'mobile' to begin with. I think it's notorious for generating lots of heat. Cooler CPU solutions only started with the Pentium M generation.

Anyways, according to cpuworld your CPU has an operating temperature of 0-100 degrees Celsius. You have around 94 degrees Celsius, so you're still under the operating temperature threshold. Having said that, under such high temperatures, electromigration will be accelerated, resulting in the silicon to die sooner. But predicting extension of lifetime by buying a fan is impossible for an individual case. But yeah, I would buy a fan. It's just a safer bet.

Other tips for keeping it cool: if it has wireless (it says optional module in the specs), and you don't use it, turn it off -- this will save a few degrees! Also, see if you can buy a cheap notebook stand or something. By allowing cool air flow underneath the bottom of a notebook will keep the temperature a little bit further down. But of course, these are marginal measures.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Edsplosive
Smoke Some

Member 24171

Level 6.69

Feb 2007

Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:41 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2007, 06:41 PM #7 of 9
Yeah a lot of P4 processors are built under the Prescotti design, and those love over-heating. I'm not sure what to say if you can't find some kind of good deal in purchasing a fan. I know purchasing an "anything" for a laptop will be considerably more expensive than for a desktop, even fans. So yeah, I'd get that fan if it'll "fit" appropriately over having the laptop die in the end.

Also, see if you can open up the laptop all over and air-spray out all the potential dust. I happened to just look at my notebook's parts when replacing memory sticks and there was dust hiding all over. That notebook stand can also help, so could an actual FAN-fan, but these are all temporary solutions.

FELIPE NO
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Sep 10, 2007, 02:13 PM Local time: Sep 10, 2007, 12:13 PM #8 of 9
Have you checked if you could instead use two single fans?
By this do you mean actually purchase 2 separate 30 mm fans and install them into the current fan assembly? That's actually not a bad idea and the fan assembly DOES allow for 2 separate power sources so it might just work.

Anyways, according to cpuworld your CPU has an operating temperature of 0-100 degrees Celsius. You have around 94 degrees Celsius, so you're still under the operating temperature threshold. Having said that, under such high temperatures, electromigration will be accelerated, resulting in the silicon to die sooner.
This is highly valuable information. THANKS!

Quote:
Other tips for keeping it cool: if it has wireless (it says optional module in the specs), and you don't use it, turn it off -- this will save a few degrees! Also, see if you can buy a cheap notebook stand or something. By allowing cool air flow underneath the bottom of a notebook will keep the temperature a little bit further down. But of course, these are marginal measures.
I already have a notebook stand that I use when the computer is here at home, so at least my ass is covered there. The wireless card that came with it, on the other hand, stays on all the time; it is, after all, how I get online.

Yeah a lot of P4 processors are built under the Prescotti design, and those love over-heating. I'm not sure what to say if you can't find some kind of good deal in purchasing a fan. I know purchasing an "anything" for a laptop will be considerably more expensive than for a desktop, even fans. So yeah, I'd get that fan if it'll "fit" appropriately over having the laptop die in the end.
Well, the part will fit, but that's not really my concern. My concern will be what I will do if I buy the fan and the temperatures are still through the roof.

Quote:
Also, see if you can open up the laptop all over and air-spray out all the potential dust.
I did that to this computer a little under a year ago. This computer doesn't really get too dusty inside like other laptops I've seen even though it's sitting in the same spot all the time. Plus, it's not like the computer gets a chance to get that dusty inside since the fans don't blow in cool air... They suck out the hot air since they're right next to the heatsinks. Still, when I do order those fans and they come in, I'll be taking this baby apart and blowing out whatever minute amount of dust has already gathered in there.

Thanks for the tips guys! This is actually giving me a bit more help than I expected.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Sep 11, 2007, 04:24 PM Local time: Sep 11, 2007, 10:24 PM #9 of 9
By this do you mean actually purchase 2 separate 30 mm fans and install them into the current fan assembly? That's actually not a bad idea and the fan assembly DOES allow for 2 separate power sources so it might just work.
That was the idea. When you can't get the exact part, then try to replicate it with parts you can get (cheap).

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > This old laptop (Or how can I cool down a CPU without operating it in a dry ice tub?)