Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Ask a Pilot!

Locke
Flying High

Member 488

Level 23.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:50 AM #1 of 17
Ask a Pilot!

It's a ripoff, but I'm bored and feel like posting something. Besides - I'll enjoy answering the questions.

So has there ever been anything that has happened to you on a flight that you don't understand? Or somthing that's been bugging you about what pilot's do, but you never knew who to ask? Ask away, and I'll try to answer you as best as I can!

Most amazing jew boots
Diversion
Jellicle Cat

Member 68

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:25 PM #2 of 17
Why do I get a bit a nervous asking a pilot something that has "Stoned" as his member title?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:35 PM #3 of 17
I got a question. I've played Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. While flying looks like it takes a lot of concentration, can I theoretically get and keep a plane off the ground with the little knowledge that I've learned playing a video game about a nigga murdering his way to the top of the world?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:36 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 11:36 AM #4 of 17
Don't worry, from what I understand, most pilots fly drunk, not high. OR DO THEY?

Most amazing jew boots
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Locke
Flying High

Member 488

Level 23.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:48 PM #5 of 17
For all the pot I do smoke, I'm never high when I'm flying - or drunk for that matter.

And Legato - it's actually really easy to fly... it's doing it well that's the tough part (and getting the plane back on the ground again safely).

I was speaking idiomatically.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:49 PM #6 of 17
Whatever son I'll just put on the parachute and bail~

Most amazing jew boots
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:25 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 08:25 PM #7 of 17
Question: If an airplane I'm travelling in as a passenger gets kidnapped by terrorist doods and I decide to go kick their ass with a group of random guys and we succeed in beating the shit out of them and eventually kill/torture them, would it be possible for us to control the plane and safely land it, if the terror people have killed all the crew already?

FELIPE NO
Jiraiya
Out Of The Blue

Member 486

Level 10.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:53 PM #8 of 17
If you shoot a gun in an airplane with you get sucked out?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Spike
Good Chocobo

Member 642

Level 17.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 05:18 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 03:18 PM #9 of 17
Originally Posted by Jiraiya
Mythbusters says no.

Most amazing jew boots
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 05:20 PM #10 of 17
Is it possible to fly through the Megalith rocket launch facility using a hang glider.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
XerxesTheMighty
Weapon X

Member 105

Level 8.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 05:56 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 03:56 PM #11 of 17
Ok I got one for ya: Two planes are heading towards eachother, one going 300mph and the other going 220mph. This first plane going 300mph took off from Washington DC at 8pmEST, the second plane took off from Sacramento at 6pmPST. If they both fly in straight lines towards eachother, over what state and what time will they collide?
Mwhahahahaha!

Real question: What planes have you flown? I myself want to join the Airforce and fly F22s...but that probably wont happen...at least the F22 part.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

SO SAY WE ALL
Locke
Flying High

Member 488

Level 23.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:23 PM #12 of 17
Originally Posted by Rock
Question: If an airplane I'm travelling in as a passenger gets kidnapped by terrorist doods and I decide to go kick their ass with a group of random guys and we succeed in beating the shit out of them and eventually kill/torture them, would it be possible for us to control the plane and safely land it, if the terror people have killed all the crew already?
For sure - as I mentioned before keeping the plane in the air is super easy, it's quite natural, you pull back, and the nose raises, you push forward, and the nose goes down. Turning the column (or stick) to the left or right will roll you in that direction, and unless you know what you're doing - you might as well just leave the rudder pedals on the floor alone. Landing a large aircraft nowadays is simple, it's even possible for the autopilot (on an approved catagory III runway) to complete the entire landing phase, from descent to rollout with no human input.

Autopilots nowadays are linked to pretty much every system, GPS, navagation radio beacon recievers, INS, barometric and radar altitude, flux-valve for determining magnetic north, etc... It's incredible at the amount of automation in cockpits nowadays.

Quote:
It's unlikley, but possible if you use a big enough gun, and hit the exact right (or wrong?) spot.

As for planes I've flown - I've flown two types, Cessna 172, and Beechcraft Bonanza. I've not flown anything larger yet, but I've had my systems courses on the CRJ-700.

The Beechcraft Bonanza

The Cessna 172S

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Locke; Mar 6, 2006 at 07:39 PM.
Jeff135
Chocobo

Member 1496

Level 9.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:23 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 04:23 PM #13 of 17
What is your most terrifying flying experience?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Locke
Flying High

Member 488

Level 23.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:36 PM #14 of 17
Oh - the first time I sat in the right-seat for 172 airwork. We were practicing stalls, and I've never sat in the right seat (pilot not flying) for airwork. While we were slowing down for the first stall (large nose-up attitude), I thought for sure we were going to start dropping backwards, and go into a tailspin.

Fortunatly, it wasn't that bad - the problem was just that I wasn't accustomed to not being in control during a stall - and it freaked me out :P I didn't do anything rash though, just rode it out - and had a huuge adrenaline rush

Double Post:
Odd - I don't know why the images above arn't showing up...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Locke; Mar 6, 2006 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Automerged double post.
MeTaL_oRgY
Good Chocobo

Member 375

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:25 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 06:25 PM #15 of 17
What do you require to be a pilot? I have a cousin that tried and, believe me, he tried REALLY hard, but never got admitted... I believe it had something to do with a mental illness he has that prevents him from understanding why 2+2=4 (not stuff THAT stupid, but you get the idea.. he could do a multiplication, but just didn't understand the why of the result...).

FELIPE NO

Locke
Flying High

Member 488

Level 23.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:35 PM #16 of 17
It depends on where you are, and what you want to do. I'm enrolled in a college program that gets me a bachelor of applied technology, as well as a commercial multi-IFR license. (Commercial meaning I can make money through flying, multi meaning I can fly planes with more then one engine, and IFR meaning I can fly in bad weather).

To get into the course i'm in - I had to pass the high-level maths and physics classes they had in highschool. But to get your private license, just to fly around for fun - all you need is to go through the required amount of ground school, and then obtain the required amount of flight hours, and pass the required tests.

In Canada, to get your PPL you need:
40 hours groundschool

minimum 45 hours total flight time
-minimum of 17 with an instructor
-minimum of 12 solo (no instructor)
-minimum of 5 instrument

You also have to pass the PSTAR (air law test), and PPAE (Private License written exam), and a private license flight test.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Spike
Good Chocobo

Member 642

Level 17.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:17 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 06:17 PM #17 of 17
Originally Posted by Locke
It's unlikley, but possible if you use a big enough gun, and hit the exact right (or wrong?) spot.
I know you're a pilot and all, but I'm pretty sure that's false given that it's been tested and proven to be false. not to mention the fact that physics disagrees with that assumption. And tell us, what exactly do you mean by "the right/wrong spot."

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Ask a Pilot!