Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

CRC Data Error

Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Nov 1, 2007, 12:03 AM Local time: Oct 31, 2007, 09:03 PM #1 of 7
CRC Data Error

Recently I had Vista blue screen on me, citing a 'Data Error: Cyclic Redundancy Check." I had to restart and reinstall a few applications, but during the installation I ran into the same error during installation, again something about that redundancy check. Eventually shit happens and I had to reinstall my OS (downgraded to XP) and now as XP the same disk that my OS was on has problems holding (namely when I was trying to save a 3GB torrent on it) large amounts of data, again the error is cited as the Cyclic Redundancy crap.

Anyways preliminary research tells me the CRC error is due to either bad data or some kind of physical problem with the disk. If its something physical wrong with the disk I have an external hard drive to fall back on for now. But I would still like to know if there is anyway to recover the HDD, the disk represents about 50 or so gigs of space that at the moment I can't touch (I'm on a laptop by the way, so that space counts for something). Anyone know of anyway besides sending my computer to a repair shop to deal with this CRC error? I've heard something about Spinrite but I haven't gotten too deep with it yet.

Anyone have any experience in dealing with this error?

Oh, and one more thing on a rather unrelated note, on my external hard drives the folders are set to Read-Only, I change them, windows shows that its changed the attribute, but once I hit okay and the properties windows goes away apparently the Read-Only is still there. I can't seem to make that go away, any tips on that?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 1, 2007, 05:43 AM #2 of 7
It sounds like a hard drive failure to me. A CRC check basically is where they check the bits to see if things come out the way they should. If the count of bits is wrong, then there is an error. If Windows is giving you these problems, even AFTER reinstalling things, I am forseeing it to be your hard drive.

Why can't you access the data itself exactly? Is it just not there, or are you getting errors, or is XP not loading up?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Nov 1, 2007, 06:03 AM Local time: Nov 1, 2007, 07:03 PM #3 of 7
I suggest you stop accessing the recalcitrant hard disk at once, and use SpinRite on it to recover data pronto.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Nov 1, 2007, 06:19 PM Local time: Nov 1, 2007, 03:19 PM #4 of 7
It sounds like a hard drive failure to me. A CRC check basically is where they check the bits to see if things come out the way they should. If the count of bits is wrong, then there is an error. If Windows is giving you these problems, even AFTER reinstalling things, I am forseeing it to be your hard drive.

Why can't you access the data itself exactly? Is it just not there, or are you getting errors, or is XP not loading up?
Actually after the first blue screen I uninstalled a few programs that needed a restart, however when I did restart Vista decided to run ChkDsk and after the ChkDsk Utility ran Vista started to boot right into a blue screen and automatically restarting. XP so far has booted up without failure. As for the data, I haven't tried accessing any CRC error data, I merely can't write onto the disk after a certain amount of data has been processed (I've tried installing a program around 1.5gigs or so, didn't work, CRC error, tried to save a torrent on the disk, again CRC error stopped it).

Originally Posted by Zergrinch
I suggest you stop accessing the recalcitrant hard disk at once, and use SpinRite on it to recover data pronto.
Would that include whatever partitions that are on it? Also after I use spinrite should I still avoid using the HDD? I was told Spinrite would to some degree fix the error, but I may just be reading too much inbetween the lines.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2007, 08:33 AM #5 of 7
You COULD try to reinstall everything and see what happens. I still question the hard drive. It IS possible that Vista got really screwed up (it happens. My dad was complaining about Vista being stupid).

The thing is though, if at a certain point it errors our, it may be certain parts of the hard drive are bad.

Have you tried to copy, say 1.5 gigs of small files (perhaps 100 megs at a time)? See if that CRC's you.

I was speaking idiomatically.
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2007, 07:03 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2007, 01:03 PM #6 of 7
First use the memory diagnostic in Vista, then run Spinrite. CRC error crashes can be attributed either to bad ram or bad hdd.

Spinrite is like chkdsk running in full mode, except its much, much, much more powerful. I definetaly recommend it, if you have hdd errors it will find it. Run it on your boot partition and on any other which can be accessed at the time of the bsod.

Also remove any cpu overclocking you may have, once I had a windows install die up on my because I was ocing too much, made an error, which happened to be while writing some system file - pronto fucked OS. it also may happen during installation phase.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:54 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2007, 11:54 PM #7 of 7
Would that include whatever partitions that are on it? Also after I use spinrite should I still avoid using the HDD? I was told Spinrite would to some degree fix the error, but I may just be reading too much inbetween the lines.
Oh yes, Spinrite on the whole thing. After spinriting it, connect it to an external USB hard disk and dump all precious data. Your hard disk is dying, and no software tool can really fix it in the long run.

FELIPE NO
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > CRC Data Error