Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Colbert vs. Daily Show

Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:35 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2011, 09:35 PM #1 of 3
Colbert vs. Daily Show

Quote:
I'm a faggot and started a blog. It doesn't have a (decent) name yet, though. Feel free to comment there as well as here, but in an attempt to resuscitate this lifeless fucking forum, I'm just going to post shit from it. Anyways...

I love both of these programs. They feed me the important current events I need to know and then make me laugh the dire edge right off of them. In fact, my dream date doesn't have anything to with a cabana in the Casbah or a liquored up stripper and a pocketful of $1,000 bills. My dream date would be sitting on a nice sofa with a lovely lady, eating Lay's potato chips sprayed with the flavor of the month, and mutually laughing our asses off.

But which one is better? I mean, if you have children, you have to pick a favorite....right?

Colbert gets my inheritance. Here are some of my arguments. Rebuff them if you must.

Sharp, witty satire vs. sharp, witty impersonations: Colbert's show delivers nonstop ridicule to the rest of the mainstream media and politics all while convincingly taking their stances. This is the ultimate nerd dream. Beating up the bully without having to actually punch him in his fat nose. Stewart delivers the same satire, but often delivered in skits and vocal impersonations. This is usually a hit, but when it often misses, I feel like I should have a 13 year old sitting next to me to explain the joke.

Verbal creativity vs. touching monologues: Stewart sometimes diverts the news into a serious, level-headed ideologue. Much, much appreciated. But when he does this, the show ends, or just leads into a chummy interview with a washed up actor. Note that Colbert serves as the comic relief. This is why his show come after, not before. The writers for Colbert never fail to deliver. Oftentimes, the verbal wit is so fresh and unique that I realize a few seconds later, "did I just miss a PUN?!" instead of "How do I feel about this crossroads in national values." Laughing at my shortcomings in silly word-play is much more refreshing than laughing at my shortcomings in vested interest in national political issues.

Good cop vs. bad cop: Stewart treats all his guests with respect and due courtesy. Yawn. We all know some of them don't deserve it, and we already know what they're going to say before they say it. Sure, sometimes he dominates the conversation to face them against their ideological oppositions, but generally he just lets them rant on. Colbert on the other hand....well, if you've seen one interview, that's enough. Sure, Obama came to Stewart's show. But we all know we would've rather seen him face off with Colbert.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Zephyrin; Jul 13, 2011 at 11:38 PM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:01 AM Local time: Jul 14, 2011, 12:01 AM #2 of 3
Stewart, hands down.

I like Colbert, but it is nothing but a comedy show. He's in character 98% of the time, he's doing schtick constantly, and he's delivering punchlines; albeit funny ones. The guy is at the top of his field for his genre of satire. But it lacks the intelligence the Daily Show has. The Daily Show has actual commentary in its running feud with FOX news, it has some very smart people discussing some very smart issues, and no, it isn't always funny but it is usually very enlightening. I -like- that he doesn't have to pick a fight with someone just because they're a republican. I -like- that he can tear a strip off of a guy like Mike Huckabee but still be cordial with him.

Like you said, though, this is choosing between your kids for me. I love them both. But for me, Jon is the elder, wiser, intellectual son and Colbert is a sillier, more handsome, flashier kid who will probably succeed at marketing one day.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:09 AM Local time: Jul 14, 2011, 07:09 AM #3 of 3
Agreed with Deni. I believe the Daily Show is where you go for news updates with a comedy spin. Colbert is where you go for comedy with a slight news spin. Colbert is acting a role to get under the skin of the people he's acting like while Stewart just comes out and tells everyone who is stupid to stop it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > Colbert vs. Daily Show