Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

(Old) Games with potential Jazz music?

eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:52 AM Local time: Feb 10, 2007, 11:52 PM #1 of 19
(Old) Games with potential Jazz music?

Well, just recently I was venturing on emulated sound format, and I found out that there are some games with jazz-themed music such as Side Pocket. I'm a jazz lover and to be honest, it's really refreshing to listen VGM that use jazz style instead of popular Jpop chord.

Right now I'm really looking forward to listen jazz music in old games, be it NES, SNES, sega, or anything you could name of. But sadly, Side Pocket is the only game has potential jazz music (since it's about billiard after all). I'm really eager to know if there are any other games that use jazz tunes. Could anyone recommend me any?

NOTE: Games that have emulated sound set is preferrable

Recommended Games
Hiouden
Gokinjo Bouken Tai
Rimo's recommended Jazz's tracks
Bugs Bunny in Rabbit Rampage
Side Pocket
Snoopy Concert
Minnesota Fats

Jam it back in, in the dark.
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.

Last edited by eriol33; Feb 14, 2007 at 09:12 PM.
datschge
Sakuraba Fan

Member 9353

Level 11.78

Jul 2006

Old Feb 10, 2007, 08:20 PM Local time: Feb 11, 2007, 02:20 AM #2 of 19
Regarding SNES I'd recommend Hiouden (for Love from Us and Emancipation) and Gokinjo Bouken Tai (overall feeling of the soundtrack). Would love to hear more recommendations as well. ^^

There's nowhere I can't reach.
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2007, 08:37 PM Local time: Feb 11, 2007, 08:37 AM #3 of 19
Wow, thank you for the recomendation. Especially for Gokinjo Bouken Tai, it's pretty obscure game, but it really has a lot of jazzy tunes!

I hope everyone are willing post their recommendation here, I would really appreciate it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:30 PM #4 of 19
Ooh, yes, I'd like to hear some good jazz vgm. There's not enough of it.

Dr. Brain Action Reaction (PC) is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that's kind of jazzy, but it's more fusion/funk, I think. I still have to get around to ripping the Redbook Audio one of these days.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Dragon God
Tarantulas FTW

Member 1948

Level 14.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:27 PM Local time: Feb 11, 2007, 01:27 AM #5 of 19
Can't go wrong with anything by Yasuhisa Watanabe. The most Jazz-inspired albums by him are Elevator Action Returns, Puchi Carat and Border Down.

Give those a try.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Feb 11, 2007, 07:27 PM #6 of 19
"Jazz" is a quite large musical category, so your request could attract songs that are much different. Still, I guess you're looking for standard jazz, and I've been able to list a couple of games/tunes you might enjoy and might not have heard of before, since I've ripped them myself. Oh, and all of them are by Western composers, if it makes any difference to you (in relation to you mentioning Jpop and Japanese companies only).

First, from old PC games using the AdLib sound:

- "Toxcity" (from Pushover)
- "Goblins 3 Theme" (from Goblins 3)
- "Trig Enigma" (from FlixMix)
- "Cruz" (from The Incredible Machine)

And here are some others that doesn't sound as old:

- "Hold That Train!" (from Transport Tycoon Deluxe)
- "Night Shift" (from Theme Hospital)
- "The Kitchen" (from The City of Lost Children)
- "Sid's Workbench O'Horrors" (from Toy Story)
- "Alleys and Gullies" (from Toy Story 2)

I've uploaded all of these tracks to SendSpace, if you want to check them out: http://www.sendspace.com/file/2tytvt

If any of them spark your interest, I could provide the full soundtrack(s).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:21 PM Local time: Feb 13, 2007, 12:21 AM #7 of 19
hey, thanks for the recommendation guys, but I would really appreciate it if you could provide links to the music. Also, I really prefer you to mention "old games" that have their emulated sound set, since they are fairly easy to get (SPC, VGM, NSF, etc) =).

@dragon god
I have listened an album of puchi carat, yeah it's quite jazzy album, though I dont find many that are memorable.

FELIPE NO

Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 05:53 PM #8 of 19
I checked out Side Pocket; awesome stuff!

If you're looking for some serious Jazz, I highly recommend Bugs Bunny in Rabbit Rampage. The sound quality isn't impressive, but composition wise, you won't find better. Not all the tunes are pure Jazz, though most have obvious influences, but you must at least check out 07b - Dancing with the Devil, and 10 - Things That Go Bugs in the Night; really hardcore Bebop style. The entire soundtrack is marvelous; it's a shame I can't find much any info on these composers whoever they are.

How ya doing, buddy?
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 08:38 PM Local time: Feb 13, 2007, 08:38 AM #9 of 19
Hey cool stuff Darkcomet, the music is indeed good!

I forgot to mention in my earlier post, but all music in Snoopy Concert (http://www.zophar.net/zsnes/spc/snoopyc.rar) has jazz music composed by David Benoit and Vince Gueraldi (supposedly) and also, does anyone have rip of this Billiard Action?

I will edit my first post later to collect all recommendations you people have given.

Last edited by eriol33; Feb 12, 2007 at 08:45 PM.
NeoBelhelmel
Confused Negotiator

Member 18242

Level 4.50

Jan 2007

Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:31 PM #10 of 19
Not sure if this counts, but you might want to try finding a copy of the F-Zero Arrange Soundtrack on one of the FTPs. The renditions of some of the more iconic tracks from that game (Big Blue, Mute City) are extremely good and have some nice alto saxophone action.

Showtime.
Now using: Roger Smith Av #11
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:43 PM #11 of 19
I'm pretty sure Minnesota Fats had some jazzy music in it. It was a pool game for the Genesis.

http://www.project2612.org/details.php?id=487

Spikey
Sierra Music Quester

Member 13178

Level 13.35

Sep 2006

Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:15 AM Local time: Feb 15, 2007, 02:45 AM #12 of 19
I was actually thinking about this thread earlier and The Incredible Machine sprang to mind, but Rimo beat me to it

It's worth mentioning that all the TIM games have jazz, and also were not composed for the Adlib FM synth like Rimo's samples are, but the Roland Sound Canvas (default GM standard of the time), which sounds infinitely nicer. Also, the later games had digtial redbook audio of some pretty sweet jazz pieces. I can think of at least 10 TIM jazz tracks off the top of my head. They're good, too.

- Spike

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2007, 05:42 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2007, 05:42 PM #13 of 19
Hey rimo, would you mind to upload the whole TIM game rip? I have listened the "Cruz" and seriously, it's very groovy and catchy. I would like to listen more music from this Christopher Steven.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2007, 11:34 AM #14 of 19
Just be aware that not all tracks are jazzy, and that this is the "limited sound" version, as Spikey mentioned. With this made clear, here's a download link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yngauf

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2007, 07:39 PM #15 of 19
Wow, Rimo, I had no idea there was a PC version of Toy Story. That Sid's Workbench remake is awesome, and I would appreciate it if you could upload the rest of the PC soundtrack so I can make comparisons, if you don't mind

FELIPE NO
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2007, 08:43 PM 1 #16 of 19
Yes, there was indeed a PC version, with redbook audio! It's a good thing I liked the movie a lot back in the days, and that I bought that game, otherwise I probably wouldn't have known about this. I guess you're familiar with the SNES version? That one is good, and while it's the same soundtrack, the PC version actually blows it away with the better sound. It's one of my favorites actually; it's very jazzy and dynamic, with memorable compositions.

At the same time, Disney Interactive also released a PC version of "Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow", again with an enhanced redbook soundtrack. I don't know if you ever heard it (if so, propably the SNES one?). It was composed by Michael Giacchino, before he became popular with the "Medal of Honor" series. Like "Toy Story", I find it to be quite enjoyable. If you'd be interested by the rip I did, I could upload it as well.

While I'm at it, I'll also upload the "Toy Story 2" rip. It was composed by the same team (Andy Blythe and Marten Joustra) and it also features some jazz tracks, yet it's more diverse than its predecessor. Check it out if you want and you'll see if there's anything you like.

The download links
Toy Story: http://www.sendspace.com/file/g6oh5w
Toy Story 2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E8N0FMXR

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2007, 09:48 AM #17 of 19
Thanks a ton!

The PC version has awesome sound quality, and while I think I might prefer it a bit over the SNES version, I don't think it's enough to make me dismiss it entirely. At least, I know I prefer the SNES version of Food & Drink by far, as this one cuts out the best portion of the song.

I must ask, since you've played the game, what's the deal with Battle of the Mutant Toys? Is it not a stage anymore in the PC version? The songs at this point seem to have shifted, which is no problem, I'm glad nothing major got cut out.

I'll be getting Toy Story 2 as well, thanks a lot!

Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:17 AM #18 of 19
Oh, I didn't even notice that some of the SNES ones were longer. So indeed, it shouldn't be completely dissed.

"Battle of the Mutant Toys" in the PC game is a stage, but could almost be considered as a cutscene, since it's very short and all that actually happens is that you run away from the mutant toys (and if I recall well, you don't even have to touch anything). The following song, "Roller Bob", is used in the next stage where you are on him and roll along, avoiding the various toys and traps. I don't know what's the deal with the SNES version, if that stage is indeed using another song, as I haven't played to it. And I believe this SNES one actually isn't in the PC rip, unless I don't recognize it because of the different sound.

Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:31 AM #19 of 19
That's interesting. In the SNES version, you also had to avoid mutant toys, but this was well after a rather long textbook platforming stage. The music that plays at Roller Bob in the PC version plays in Battle of the Mutant Toys for SNES.

Scratch the part about no music missing; the SNES version of Roller Bob is gone, and the PC version of Day-Toy-na is completely new (this is a good thing, for SNES they just replaced Day-Toy-Na with A Buzz Clip. Just noticed this. Not too complicated.

Also absolutely adoring the PC version of Red Alert.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > (Old) Games with potential Jazz music?