Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Song of the Week - WEEK 78 Voting/WEEK 79 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 06:05 PM #1 of 83
Song of the Week - WEEK 78 Voting/WEEK 79 Nominating

Week 78 Voting is closed.
Week 79 Nominating is restricted.

Week 78 Voting
The rules for voting can be found here.

Results
1). [27] STELLA DEUS BGM ReArrange Album - Planet She
2). [19] Chaos Legion Original Soundtrack - I can hear the shriek (Stage ~Cave~)
3). [18] Under Defeat -Extended Tracks- - tears which died
4). [12] Mr. Bones Soundtrack - In This World
5). [11] Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children Perfect Sound Tracks - Unpublished Tune (Arrange Ver.)
6). [9] Republic - The Revolution Original Soundtrack - Blood Brothers
7). [8] HALO 2 Original Soundtrack and New Music Vol. 1 - 2nd Movement of the Odyssey
8). [4] Phalanx - The Enforce Fighter A-144 (SNES Game Rip) - Under Water (Stage 2)

Tracks:
Chaos Legion Original Soundtrack - I can hear the shriek (Stage ~Cave~)
HALO 2 Original Soundtrack and New Music Vol. 1 - 2nd Movement of the Odyssey
Mr. Bones Soundtrack - In This World
Phalanx - The Enforce Fighter A-144 (SNES Game Rip) - Under Water (Stage 2)
Republic - The Revolution Original Soundtrack - Blood Brother
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children Perfect Sound Tracks - Unpublished Tune (Arrange Ver.)
STELLA DEUS BGM ReArrange Album - Planet She
Under Defeat -Extended Tracks- - tears which died

Notes:
If you are a member at more than one of the forums which this event is being held at, please nominate and vote in only ONE of the forums. You may, however, comment in the threads at any of the other forums.

Week 79 Nominating
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Here are the links to the corresponding threads at the other forums:
- Soundtrack Central
- Chudah's Corner

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by orion_mk3; Dec 3, 2006 at 07:16 PM.
ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 06:59 PM Local time: Nov 28, 2006, 12:59 AM #2 of 83
Well, I'll start nominating before nothing else:

Album: Drummania 3 & Guitar Freaks 4
Artist: Motoaki Furukawa
Title: Captain's Voyage (long version)
Track: 29
Disc 1 of 1
Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motoaki_Furukawa for the composer, and http://chudahs-corner.com/soundtrack...talog=KMCA-111 for the rest of the album. I had a more elegant source some time ago, but I lost it with the change of computer.

EDIT: File uploaded to the server.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by ikkei; Nov 28, 2006 at 03:57 AM.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 07:47 PM Local time: Nov 27, 2006, 05:47 PM #3 of 83
IT APPEARS LIKE I MIGHT HAVE TO USE OVERLY EMPHASIZED TEXT EVERY OTHER WEEK?

It's cool that my nominations come up a lot faster, because I have bucketloads of tracks to force-feed you people, but I do kinda miss the days when we had way more nominators than voters.
  • Artist: Kaori Komuro
  • Composer: Masakazu Sugimori
  • Album/Game Title: Gyakuten Saiban Orchestra Album ~GYAKUTEN MEETS ORCHESTRA~
  • Track Title: Oo-edo Soldier Tonosaman
  • Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
  • Track Number: 6
  • Catalog Number: CPCA-10179
  • Year: 2006
  • Additional Information: my previously mentioned "normal" track
  • Source: I've got this CD chucked somewhere in my apartment.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 08:16 PM #4 of 83
OBJECTION!

No, not really. I've just been wanting to do that to the next Gyakuten Saiban nomination for a while now.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
arch_slayer
ntan1 is a rankmaniac

Member 6464

Level 21.01

May 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 09:14 PM Local time: Nov 27, 2006, 06:14 PM #5 of 83
Chaos Legion Original Soundtrack - I can hear the shriek (Stage ~Cave~)
The main problem I have with this song is that the voice isn't loud enough. I understand that the song is interesting because fo the "shriek" in the background, so the voice really has to stand out. Unfortunately, the bass becomes a bit too obvious for me, and that last final change in bass rhythm at the end of the song is not enough to secure a vote for me.

HALO 2 Original Soundtrack and New Music Vol. 1 - 2nd Movement of the Odyssey
I dont think Incubus for me truly qualifies as a game track. But besides this, I really feel that the track is boring without anything that is unique about it. I don't find the jam very interesting, so it's also not worth a high level vote for this song.

Mr. Bones Soundtrack - In This World
It's definitely somewhat interesting of a piece, but I'm still feeling that something could be added to the main vocal melody. The solo is something that is awesome all by itself, however.

Phalanx - The Enforce Fighter A-144 (SNES Game Rip) - Under Water (Stage 2)
I kind of like the melody, it continues to change, but stays predictable enough to prevent the song from being annoying. I still feel that there'just something small that's missing, but I can't exactly say what at this point.

Republic - The Revolution Original Soundtrack - Blood Brother
I'm almost always attracted to romantic songs, and I feel that Blood Brother definitely has some romantic qualities in it. Unfortunately, for me this song is really slow. I understand that slow songs can be good, but the melody is not very unique.

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children Perfect Sound Tracks - Unpublished Tune (Arrange Ver.)
I picked this song because it really became stuck in my head. It's a perfect addicting melody, which continues to build on through sequences and therefore never becomes completely boring. Throughout the song, there's no completely equal repetition (although there's sequencing), which is something that makes it even better. I also really like the part at around 1:32 which continues to bridge toward the end.

STELLA DEUS BGM ReArrange Album - Planet She
It's another theme that I really like. It's jazzy, but also has a melody thats definitely my taste. Although theres a few more themes that I like better in the ReArrange Album than Planet She, this is also really good. The melody that builds at around 0:45 is really nice, along with the buildup that comes later. Good piano song.

Under Defeat -Extended Tracks- - tears which died
This is also a pretty good song. For the first 6 seconds, I thought it might be too boring and slow, but when the melody really starts, it attracts me pretty fast. That's of course expected from Shinji Hosoe.

Overall, the choices for top three were ridiculously easy for me:

3pt: Unpublished Tune (Arrange Ver.)
2pt: tears which died
1pt: Planet She

NOMINATION:

Sorry... a bit more militaristic of a song this time for those of you who don't like it.

Artist: Akihiro Honda
Album: Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner Original Soundtrack
Track Title: Ardjet
Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
Track Number: 8
Catalog: KOE-CDS-1628
Year: 2000
Source: Gamingforce Audio http://www.gamingforce.com/audio/gfa-albums.php?id=2995

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by arch_slayer; Dec 1, 2006 at 11:45 PM.
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Nov 28, 2006, 07:18 AM Local time: Nov 28, 2006, 02:18 PM #6 of 83
YES!!!
  • Composers: Toshiaki Sakoda, Masanobu Tsukamoto, Toshiharu Yamanishi
  • Album/Game Title: Dragon's Fury (Game Rip)
  • Track Title: Main Table
  • Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
  • Track Number: 11
  • Catalog Number: N/A
  • Year: 1991
  • Additional Information: A port of Devil's Crush on the PCE, with a nearly identical soundtrack (wasn't the PCE version of this track nominated at this year's BSC?)
  • Source(s): http://project2612.org/details.php?id=19
And regarding this week; two thumbs up!

By the way, I also wanted to mention that my nom is missing an 's' at the end .

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:38 AM Local time: Nov 28, 2006, 09:38 AM #7 of 83
Hahaha, awesome. Second week in a row someone's nominated the Genesis version of a track from my BSC nomination list that I also planned to nominate an arrangement of in the future!

FELIPE NO
Undertale (PC, 2015)
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2006, 05:17 PM #8 of 83
Chaos Legion Original Soundtrack - I can hear the shriek (Stage ~Cave~) I'm liking this Chaos Legion soundtrack, at least from what I've heard. This track is a nice meld of hardcore techno with a beautiful Middle Eastern vocal, and it does both parts well. The techno is varied enough that it doesn't become boring, and the vocals provide much-needed melody and atmosphere.

HALO 2 Original Soundtrack and New Music Vol. 1 - 2nd Movement of the Odyssey I agree with arch_slayer that this really shouldn't be here; frankly, I think we at least needed a poll to determine its eligibility, since I wasn't the only one opposed. I'd probably be more inclined to be forgiving if the tune was good, but frankly I don't like Incubus when they have lyrics; the underachieving grunge here couldn't be more inappropriate for the world of Halo.

Mr. Bones Soundtrack - In This World I like the bluesy opening, though the tune gets rather bland when the lyrics kick in, even though they're not bad as VGM lyrics go.

Phalanx - The Enforce Fighter A-144 (SNES Game Rip) - Under Water (Stage 2) Rather bouncy for a shooter, though not bad. It didn't really stick with me, though; I didn't even realize that it had stopped playing the first few times I listened.

Republic - The Revolution Original Soundtrack - Blood Brother A nice little operetta-style track, something that doesn't turn up much in SoTW. Very Eastern European sounding, and if it's a little slow in execution the song more than makes up for it in atmosphere.

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children Perfect Sound Tracks - Unpublished Tune (Arrange Ver.) Some very good parts where the synth melody does its thing, and some dreadful guitar noodling to balance the equation. Still, more good than bad.

STELLA DEUS BGM ReArrange Album - Planet She My nom. A rearrangement of "Heroine's Theme" (which is a terrific song in and of itself) for piano, the tune takes the original melody and runs with it, jazzing up the transitions with more of the semi-improvisational flair that I loved in the Sims Build Mode 3.

Under Defeat -Extended Tracks- - tears which died Similar to Unpublished Tune, wih a nicer synth melody and even worse noodling. The latter half of the track completely degenerates into guitar spaghetti, and the tune doesn't earn its running time.

Another fairly good week; we seem to be having something of a quality run here at SoTW.

The Point Spread
Stella Deus - 3 pts.
Chaos Legion - 1 pt.
Republic: The Revolution - 1 pt.
Shiny Megaman Tinsel - 1 pt.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Nov 28, 2006, 06:04 PM #9 of 83
Quick comments; I'm a little drowsy from a long day of school and bowling practice.

Chaos Legion OST - CHz warned us that it was pretty odd. It's another one of his "mixed-bag" noms, in that there are some elements that I hate, and others that I totally dig. Nice beat, annoying voice.

HALOL 2 - Seven and a half minutes of Incubus? ... Pass.

Mr Bones OST - My nomination. I have better success with up-tempo tracks, it seems, but I couldn't resist nominating this just to prove a point: there are a few vocal tracks in VGM that totally rock. Some intense guitar work, a dark, bluesy feel and some rather interesting lyrics make this song greatly satisfying for me.
Blues rock might not be for everyone, especially the SotW crowd, but you gotta admit that, for a vocal track, "In This World" pretty much does everything right.

Phalanx - Not too bad for a chiptune, but not among the most impressive either. The fact that it's cheerful saves it from being wholly forgettable.

Republic - The Revolution OST - This is more melancholy than I can tolerate. Hell, this is practically a dirge. Compositionally, it's fine, but the mood isn't my cup of tea.

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children - Not too bad. I really don't have much else to say. I like it, but it's not making me bolt upright.

Stella Deus - Nice stuff. I enjoy these kind of flowing piano tracks a lot. I'd like for my own nomination to do well, but I can foresee this winning.

Under Defeat - Ordinarily, I'd like this a lot more, I think. But I'm kinda tired out right now, and the distortion guitar's grating on me somewhat. But this one's still good - don't get me wrong. I remember enjoying it yesterday, so I'm pretty sure it's just the fatigue talking.

FINAL TALLY:

Three Point Landing: Mr. Bones Soundtrack - In This World
Two Point Conversion: STELLA DEUS BGM ReArrange Album - Planet She
One Point Perspective: Under Defeat -Extended Tracks- - tears which died

NOMINATION! =O

Composer: Konami Kukeiha Club
Album Title: Perfect Selection Twinbee
Track Title: Fantastic Powers (Twinbee)
Disc Number: 1 of 1
Track Number: 3
Catalog Number: KICA-1057
Year: 1992
Source: http://www.chudahs-corner.com/soundt...alog=KICA-1057
Comments: Going for the jugular with this nomination.

KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2006, 08:42 PM #10 of 83
Can't find that big noms list, so I'l nomjnate this even though it may have also been before. Journey to Silius and Batman both (I believe) had their first level themes place. Here's another awesome Sunsoft first level theme.

Game: Blaster Master
Song: Level 1
Anything else about it: I don't know.

How ya doing, buddy?
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2006, 09:40 PM #11 of 83
This week is amazing. Even the weakest track (Unpublished Tune) redeemed itself with a melody that reminds me of that robot flying thingy from Super Ninja Boy of all things. I especially love how there's something for everyone.

Expect some nice comments from me later. Point spreading is going to be tough.

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:22 PM #12 of 83
K, I have to get this off my chest...

It seems some people are opposed to / put off by my nomination. I want to at least give an explanation for it. Me nominating a song that doesn't even appear in a game seems totally hypocritical, and I never would have thought about doing it a few months back. I was always one to say that only songs appearing in games should be allowed in SotW (no non-game music by vgm composers), and I even went so far as to say arranged versions shouldn't be allowed, at one point, iirc. For my last nom. I loosened up a bit and chose an arranged version of a Genesis track (after much deliberation). This time, I guess I threw away my own rules, simply because I love this song. It's not often people hear this kind of weird progressive rock type stuff, and I wanted to get this out there. Though it didn't appear in the game, it's on the official soundtrack and was inspired by the game, according to one of the Incubus guys. And most people haven't heard the non-Marty tracks on the OST, from what I can tell. orion's the only one who really raised an objection about it. So, it met SotW's eligibility requirements, even though it's not something I'd usually nominate, like I said.

I know Incubus is a regular band, which may certainly be a negative for some people, but I ask that you at least give it a shot, and judge based on the song itself rather than your feelings about Halo or Incubus. I don't expect a lot of people to love it, as prog rock tends to be too out there for most people, but if at least some people dig it, I'll be happy.

Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:31 PM #13 of 83
EDIT: delete plz

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Darkcomet72; Nov 28, 2006 at 11:37 PM.
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:49 PM Local time: Nov 28, 2006, 09:49 PM #14 of 83
Normally I wait until I actually vote to make comments about what I think about the week as a whole, but Draconis and Darkcomet72's capsule summaries are spurring me to also register my opinion that this week is some pretty hot stuff. Any one of these songs would've gotten at least one point from me last week.

And 0:36-0:50 in Under Water might be the best thing I've ever heard in VGM.

How ya doing, buddy?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:01 AM #15 of 83
I've listened to four tracks so far, and I'm quite impressed with them. Then I look through the topic, and so far, those are the ones getting the least votes. I'll agree with CHz and say this is looking to be a wonderful week.

FELIPE NO
Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:45 AM #16 of 83
Definitely an upper tier week.

2 points: STELLA DEUS BGM ReArrange Album - Planet She
2 points: Chaos Legion Original Soundtrack - I can hear the shriek (Stage ~Cave~)
1 point: Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children Perfect Sound Tracks - Unpublished Tune (Arrange Ver.)
1 point: Under Defeat -Extended Tracks- - tears which died

On a nom-related note, how would you gents feel about a track from the Devil May Cry 3 OST?

arch_slayer
ntan1 is a rankmaniac

Member 6464

Level 21.01

May 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 02:14 AM Local time: Nov 28, 2006, 11:14 PM #17 of 83
Works for me, DMC is one of the osts I don't always listen to, even though I've heard a few songs.

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 02:29 AM Local time: Nov 29, 2006, 12:29 AM #18 of 83
I'm fine with DMC3, or any DMC, for that matter. I've only heard a couple of Devil May Cry tracks from things like the BSC.

How ya doing, buddy?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 08:09 AM #19 of 83
Originally Posted by Shaolin Samurai
On a nom-related note, how would you gents feel about a track from the Devil May Cry 3 OST?
I'm ambivalent, but SoTW is moving in that direction, so why fight it?

Look for my nomination from Final Fantasy VII soon

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:21 PM #20 of 83
I'd have to say no to KyleDunamis' Blaster Master nomination. The level 1 music is one of the most well-known chiptunes there is.

As for DMC, I'm not very familiar with its music, though I've heard 2 or 3 songs from BSC. Guess it's not a huge deal either way to me.

On to the voting...

2 pts. - 2nd Movement of the Odyssey - Honestly, I love this song. It's a brilliant work. The beauty of progressive rock is that it allows for a lot of creativity and always remains interesting throughout, because it's well, progressive. It's not just a verse & chorus repeated or a simple melody looped. It's different from beginning to end. This one has lots of funky rhythms and syncopation, which make me dig it even more. I can really get into it.

I find it funny that archslayer says there's nothing unique about it (when it's way more unique than the standard SotW fare). EDIT: Ah, brilliant; he's the one who nominated Unpublished Tune. Kind of ironic, considering that track's generic-ness.

And grunge, orion? Whatever. I hope people are actually listening through the whole thing and giving it a chance, not judging based on predispositions about Incubus or Halo. Also, it's worth noting that progressive rock is generally more rewarding the more you listen to and "know" a piece. Upon first listen, it might sound disjointed or jarring; I certainly wasn't thrilled with it upon my first listen. Some people might not be willing to give it more one listen, though, and I understand that. If at least a few people like it, I'll be happy.

2 pts. - Planet She - This is a delightful piano piece. Kudos to orion for nominating it. I should probably check out the rest of this album.

1 pt. - In This World - Heh, a vg tune with decent lyrics. Kind of cool.

1 pt. - tears which died

I can hear the shriek is decent/interesting, but it's not one of my favorite Chaos Legion tracks. Under Water is a nice bouncy tune and warranted consideration for a point. Blood Brothers also was close.

Pretty good week, though Planet She is probably the only song here I'll listen to after this week (besides my nom). I had to think about which tracks to assign 1 point to.

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Last edited by Drakken; Nov 29, 2006 at 01:27 PM.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:42 PM #21 of 83
Originally Posted by Drakken
And grunge, orion? Whatever. I hope people are actually listening through the whole thing and giving it a chance, not judging based on predispositions about Incubus or Halo. Also, it's worth noting that progressive rock is generally more rewarding the more you listen to and "know" a piece.
I think you're right--"grunge" probably wasn't the best word. I'm terrible with subgenre names, especially ones I'm not familiar with.

Most amazing jew boots
Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 04:41 PM #22 of 83
Album: Devil May Cry 3 OST
Composers: Tetsuya Shibata, Kento Hasegawa
Title: Vergil Battle 2
Track: 24
Disc 2 of 3
Source: http://www.chudahs-corner.com/soundt...=CPCA-10112~14

I believe Vergil Battle 1 and 3 were in BSC, so we may as well complete the set here.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 06:43 PM #23 of 83
...that was probably said in a silly way, but huh? I think the fact that we've already heard those other two Vergil Battle themes changes things. It's not a huge deal, but it would at least be nice to change things up.

Agree/disagree?

FELIPE NO

Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 06:58 PM #24 of 83
I'm pretty sure Vergil Battle 1 was never nominated for anything, actually. I'm sure it's not in BSC 06 and 05.

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2006, 07:58 PM Local time: Nov 29, 2006, 05:58 PM #25 of 83
Originally Posted by Drakken
...that was probably said in a silly way, but huh? I think the fact that we've already heard those other two Vergil Battle themes changes things. It's not a huge deal, but it would at least be nice to change things up.

Agree/disagree?
Depends. How similar are the Vergil Battle themes? I've only heard VB3 from the BSC.

Undertale (PC, 2015)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Song of the Week - WEEK 78 Voting/WEEK 79 Nominating