Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

What means Redbook Audio?

maxmontezuma
ClouD

Member 6653

Level 7.08

May 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 02:24 PM Local time: May 15, 2006, 08:24 PM #1 of 5
What means Redbook Audio?

Okay, maybe that's a kinda stupid question... but since i'm new to this and i'm from germany... i think those are 2 factors why i don't understand what that is XD

What means redbook audio?

Sorry when it was already asked here, i searched the forums for "redbook" but there were too many results :biggrin:

thanks in advance

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 02:28 PM Local time: May 15, 2006, 08:28 PM #2 of 5
Redbook is a standard for Audio on CD. It basically means Audio CD.

When you buy an album and play it in your CD player, that's Redbook audio.

Some games (mostly PSone) used Redbook Audio for their music or cutscene sounds. You can take the game disc and put it in a CD player and listen to this "red book" audio, as well as rip, too.

Hope that cleared things up ~

Most amazing jew boots
maxmontezuma
ClouD

Member 6653

Level 7.08

May 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 02:30 PM Local time: May 15, 2006, 08:30 PM #3 of 5
Originally Posted by Roph
Redbook is a standard for Audio on CD. It basically means Audio CD.

When you buy an album and play it in your CD player, that's Redbook audio.

Some games (mostly PSone) used Redbook Audio for their music or cutscene sounds. You can take the game disc and put it in a CD player and listen to this "red book" audio, as well as rip, too.

Hope that cleared things up ~

Ahhhhh, alright, i understand now!

thank you :biggrin:

i remember that the half-life 1 cd got the same feature :P

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 03:07 PM Local time: May 15, 2006, 09:07 PM #4 of 5
When Compact Disc technology was in the process of development, the standards for all the various things that you can do with a CD were drafted by Sony and Philips, so that there wouldn't be any confusion about incompatible standards.

The Red Book standard defines the CD-DA (Compact Disc-Digital Audio) format, which is recognised by the CD players in audio equipment. The Yellow Book defines the CD-ROM (Compact Disc-Read Only Memory) and CD-ROM XA (Compact Disc-Read Only Memory: eXtended Architecture) formats, which is used by computer equipment and games consoles. The Orange Book defines the CD-R (Compact Disc-Recordable) and CD-RW (Compact Disc-ReWritable) standards, as recognised by CD Recorders/ReWriters found in computer equipment.

There actually is physical "Red Book" that one may read in order to learn about the standard, but it must be licensed from Philips. A physical copy of the Red Book will cost you US $5000, whereas the more affordable PDF will cost you only US $200. There are similar licensing costs for the other books. It's also worth pointing out that there are several other "Rainbow Books" that define important standards. Collect the whole set!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 07:55 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 08:55 AM #5 of 5
Though your question's been convincingly answered, maxmontezuma, Wikipedia is a great reference if you're searching for things like this in the future. It deserves a place in your list of bookmarks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Boo...CD_standard%29

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > What means Redbook Audio?