Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Opera 9.00 Final released

Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:05 PM #26 of 51
Yeah, that or Firefox plays them too fast which I don't think is the case.

Oh here's a question. Let's say I open a whole mess of tabs. I'm currently viewing the first one. Then I click on tab, oh say tab 26. I then decide to close tab 26. It then makes me go all the way back to the first tab. When I close tab 26 I want it to go to the next tab which would be tab 25. This is what Firefox always does. How do I make Opera do this?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:13 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 11:13 PM #27 of 51
You can't, as far as I know. I personally think that it makes more sense for it to switch to the last viewed tab anyway. Well, it's just a question of habit, but I guess it would be good to have the Firefox way as an option, for people who are just switching and aren't used to the way Opera does it. But, yeah, I don't think it's possible to set it like that.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:24 PM #28 of 51
Well, I always open tabs in the background. Here's a scenario:

1st tab: User CP
2nd tab through 9th: threads I subscribe to that I've opened via User CP in 1st tab.

I then go and read tab 9. When I'm done I'll close it. It goes back to the first tab which is annoying as fuck. I want it to go to tab 8. So now instead of my usual way of safely closing the current tab I'm on assuring I am done with it and gotten what I've needed I now have to click on the tab next door and risk missing something should I accidently misclick 2 tabs over and not noticing (and when you get a lot of tabs this will happen) and when I think I'm through massively close all the tabs. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I can see the use of the current style of going to the last viewed tab but it should be an option.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:37 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 11:37 PM #29 of 51
I agree that it should be an option, but, as I said, I think it's mostly a question of habit. I don't think it really makes much of a difference either way. By the way, you can also hold down the right mouse button and use the mouse-wheel to scroll between pages more easily.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 05:03 PM #30 of 51
Heh, I forgot about that feature. Good ol' ctrl+Tab. However that doesn't solve my current dilemma. You're right that it is a habit but it's one that really works for me and both Firefox and IE7 Beta 2 do. That leaves Opera as the odd man out. That's not really in its favor because I'm guessing most Firefox users browse their tabs similarly in the fashion that I do.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Duminas
Something

Member 29

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 02:36 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 11:36 PM #31 of 51
When I used Firefox, I always liked being able to switch back to the last tab I had viewed. I think there was an extension I used for this, but anyways. A question for Aard or anyone who knows:

Is there any simple way to get a site bookmarked and have it appear in the personal bar without ticking that "Show on Personalbar" option (which also requires clicking the "Advanced" button to show it)? Curious, since I really hate that I can't make it just draw all my bookmarks.

One of the small little quirks, I suppose.

FELIPE NO

Need help using an FTP client? Look no further! ««
Bodomi
Perkele

Member 2202

Level 11.66

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 03:26 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 10:26 AM #32 of 51
That's pretty easy, in fact.
Drag the tab of the site you want to your personal bar and it will be there.

As for this release, I'm more than happy with it. They fixed several stability issues I had with the betas.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
kapsi
Why did the chicken cross the Moebius Strip?

Member 2495

Level 6.82

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 06:47 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 01:47 PM #33 of 51
Does anyone have problems with the new version "freezing"? From time to time pages stop loading and I have to restart Opera to work again. I didn't have this with earlier versions.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Andy The Drew
Carob Nut

Member 1450

Level 5.19

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 04:36 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 04:36 PM #34 of 51
For some very very strange reason Opera 9 runs with a huge CPU load as compared to Firefox on my computer. I have a dual core system, and opera takes up at least one full core at 100% even whilst sitting there on a page with nothing more than text. Does anyone have any idea why it is running in this manner?

Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 09:02 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 12:02 PM #35 of 51
Originally Posted by Duminas
And Cal, those work fine for me. I have GIF animation disabled on most sites because it's annoying, but where I do allow it, they work fine. Also, embedded video as in what, YouTube? That works fine, and I can view pretty much any video format directly by use of mplayerplug-in. I've been using it since 8.51, and it's never really been an issue.
I stopped using Opera (v8) before the advent of Youtube and Google Video, but it tended to freeze up beyond recovery on loading WMV content. I suppose a RAM problem on my end could've been the culprit, but I don't know.

LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:02 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 08:02 PM #36 of 51
I have never had problems with FireFox's ram useage. But then again, I have never had more than three tabs open at once. There's no excuse for anybody to have 20+ tabs open. What exactly are you doing?

Anyway, I'm giving this a try, because I am very bored. Maybe I'll end up liking it.

Edit: The bookmarks manager won't let me change the order of my bookmarks. How lame!
Edit: Phew, fixed it. That was lame though.

This isn't so bad, but I'm starting to miss my Skypilot skin.

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; Jun 22, 2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:32 PM #37 of 51
Opening a ton of links on imageboards. Opening tons of threads. You can use new tabs for these and many more reasons and have a shit ton of tabs open. There are reasons.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:37 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 09:37 PM #38 of 51
Well, I guess each person has their own browsing habits, but I only open one thread at a time, and don't surf on imageboards.

I just can't dig Opera's interface. I'm far too used to Firefox, the way it works, and the way it looks. I've never had any problems whatsoever, so I uninstalled Opera. Oh well.

Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:46 PM #39 of 51
Yeah, if Opera had an option for Firefox tab closing order and good support for gif animation then I might use it. I just can't see that happening until those things are fixed.

I'll definitely use it for Wii though. =)

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 02:50 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 09:50 AM #40 of 51
Originally Posted by AcerBandit
I'll definitely use it for Wii though. =)
There will be Opera for Wii?

scotty
I'm not your friend, buddy...

Member 649

Level 24.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 02:52 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 11:52 PM #41 of 51
I think he means Nintendo DS?

Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 03:21 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 10:21 AM #42 of 51
I don't know if you think so.

scotty
I'm not your friend, buddy...

Member 649

Level 24.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 03:26 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 12:26 AM #43 of 51
Originally Posted by Aardark
I don't know if you think so.
are you confused about the question mark? That was a typo as I rewrote what I had previously typed, and forgot to delete the "?"

Hao
Listening to your heart

Member 289

Level 4.12

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 08:42 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 02:42 PM #44 of 51
Downloaded it and works like a charm, mostly. I still don't get why Opera freezes for 10 sec. whenever I get to a site with Flash, though.

Opera will be for Wii and DS as announced on their site.

Half of what you are taught as medical students within 10 years has been shown to be wrong....
...And the trouble is, none of your teachers knows which half.
S. Burwell, Dean Harvard Medical School
A Year of Training: last updated on December 16
Old Jun 23, 2006, 06:53 PM #45 of 51
Indeed! =)

http://www.opera.com/products/devices/

Wii and DS. Good job, Hao. =)

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

nabhan
Good Chocobo

Member 679

Level 17.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 08:02 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 09:02 PM #46 of 51
Originally Posted by Cal
I stopped using Opera (v8) before the advent of Youtube and Google Video, but it tended to freeze up beyond recovery on loading WMV content. I suppose a RAM problem on my end could've been the culprit, but I don't know.
This used to happen to me as well, but when I upgraded to a newer version it simply stopped happening.

As for the GIF's, I've found that the first time through they go slowly, but after that they play at a normal speed.

Dan
Carob Nut

Member 2147

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:47 PM Local time: Jun 29, 2006, 01:47 PM #47 of 51
I’ve been using Opera for a while and I prefer it over FF, no big reasons why I just like using Opera more. I do have a question about version 9 final, this may seem like a stupid question but here goes: I’m currently using version 9 beta. When I install version 9 final it installed over my old version 8.54. Now, I have a good deal of bookmarks, skins, customizations, etc. on my 9 beta that I did not have on my 8.54 version. So my question is: is there any way to have Oprea 9 final install over the beta and keep all my old setting skins etc. or do I have to redo all the customization I did to the beta on the final?

Most amazing jew boots
Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 08:10 PM #48 of 51
So far so good for me in Linux. One little issue for me, however, is the language they use to describe actions for defining mouse gestures. I spent about five minutes looking for their version of Next Tab/Previous Tab which turned out to be "Switch to Next/Previous Page." I guess that just comes with the territory.

Oh, and I can't seem to do Alt-S to post my reply.

Edit: Heh, I guess it can fool certain websites. Check out my College's Intranet in Opera, then set it to identify as Mozilla or Internet Explorer and try again.

Last edited by Magic; Jun 29, 2006 at 08:19 PM.
Duminas
Something

Member 29

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 08:55 PM Local time: Jun 29, 2006, 05:55 PM #49 of 51
Well, all Identifying does is change the UAS from Opera's to the other browser, and appends "Opera" to the end. Opera 9 includes new functionality that <=8 lacked called Masking. This does the same as an Identify, but it removes the appended identifier. You do know Opera's had the Identify functionality for a long time, though, right?

I have another issue with the Linux one that really vexes me, though. That is, it seems to forget my preferences some of the time. I'll have BT disabled and the colours changed, but when I fire up Opera, on occasion it has a brain cramp and resets my BitTorrent setting--heck, sometimes even my theme changes. Amazingly, Opera 9 Preview 2 didn't have this issue.

Need help using an FTP client? Look no further! ««
Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:49 PM #50 of 51
Well, that's why it isn't marked stable yet (under Gentoo). Heck, I just noticed that my bookmarks keep moving around. Also, is anyone else unable to see some of the images on Kotaku?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Opera 9.00 Final released