Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Let's talk about Windows Vista

Cam
troll

Member 2604

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 04:50 PM Local time: Feb 5, 2007, 03:50 PM #101 of 138
Yes. And a lot of hardware has no vista drivers. MS is gay.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 05:37 PM #102 of 138
A recommended 1gb of ram to use the OS is insane, eventually they're going to force everyone to it with needed things like Direct X, which in turn will seem to up the standards on the average PC. Oh well, bound to happen I guess and will again in another few years. I see a lot of people upgrading or buying better PCs soon. Sucks for those who can't so easily go out and just spend money like that. Though if its anything like the 98-2k-XP transition, most people will have a couple of years to get on it.
1gb of RAM is eventually going to become the norm as PCs advance anyway.

Back in 2000 when XP was announced to require 256mb of RAM, I was upset that my current PC at the time wasn't able to run it. (I think it had about 128mb in it).

Then I upgraded in late 2001 to a rig with 512mb of RAM, 40gb HDD, and a GeForce 2, it was INSANE how awesome it was at the time.
Then I upgraded again in 2005 to a rig with 1gb of RAM and 120gb of HDD space, along with a GeForce 6800 GTS.

I'm hoping to upgrade again in the near future with more RAM, a bigger HDD and a new case. And when I do I'll probably pick up Vista too.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 05:46 PM Local time: Feb 6, 2007, 03:46 PM #103 of 138
I'm buying a copy of Vista Ultimate for $45 so I'll have a legal copy of Windows, but it's staying on the shelf until:
  1. Apple comes out with Leopard. Boot Camp will be finalized, and I assume will come with Vista-certified drivers, hopefully even ones for the 64-bit edition, as I have a Mac Pro.
  2. ATI writes some graphics drivers that aren't up to 25% slower in Vista than in XP on the same hardware. I thought Vista was an upgrade.

FELIPE NO
killmoms - Well, don't really.
Makin' trailers er'ry day.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:12 PM #104 of 138
I'm buying a copy of Vista Ultimate for $45 so I'll have a legal copy of Windows, but it's staying on the shelf until:
  1. Apple comes out with Leopard. Boot Camp will be finalized, and I assume will come with Vista-certified drivers, hopefully even ones for the 64-bit edition, as I have a Mac Pro.
  2. ATI writes some graphics drivers that aren't up to 25% slower in Vista than in XP on the same hardware. I thought Vista was an upgrade.
Man, you'd think a macfag like Cless would be even less likely to get Vista than the rest of us.

Did Microsoft poison the water supply or something?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:14 PM #105 of 138
Where the hell are you getting it for $45? I've only found it OEM for $200.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:21 PM Local time: Feb 6, 2007, 04:21 PM #106 of 138
Microsoft Company Store for employees. No, I don't work at MS, a friend does. Hookups, baby.

Also, Merv, are you really so juvenile as to feel the need to try and provoke me in every thread I post in? It's just sad at this point. Please find some other way to get your rocks off. Thanks.

I'm buying a copy of Vista because, like I said, I'd like a legal license of Windows for the first time in many many years, especially since WGA has made it much more annoying to keep one's OS up to date if you pirate it. It also helps that I can get it so cheap, and I have a real job with a healthy income, so it's not a big deal to buy things anymore. Graduating from college rules.

How ya doing, buddy?
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:27 PM #107 of 138
Also, Merv, are you really so juvenile as to feel the need to try and provoke me in every thread I post in? It's just sad at this point. Please find some other way to get your rocks off. Thanks.
Is this shit even serious.

I haven't even done anything to you in months. I figure your posts speak far better for themselves than what I could do.

Also I'll get Vista Ultimate for $7. Being in college rules.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:34 PM Local time: Feb 6, 2007, 04:34 PM #108 of 138
Is this shit even serious.
Yes, Megalith, it is.

Quote:
I haven't even done anything to you in months. I figure your posts speak far better for themselves than what I could do.
Yes, and yet you feel the need to step in with some ad hominem about how I just like to stroke Steve Jobs' cock every time I mention Apple. Yeah, I prefer Apple's products to others and it has nothing to do with my sexuality or the fact that "it's Apple, lol." I choose them because I prefer the way they design their hardware and software—they make products I enjoy using and feel have value. I'm also familiar with the other options and even use some in my own home.

Enough with the ad hominems. Apple users who like Apple annoy you. We get it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:49 PM #109 of 138
Yes, and yet you feel the need to step in with some ad hominem about how I just like to stroke Steve Jobs' cock every time I mention Apple. Yeah, I prefer Apple's products to others and it has nothing to do with my sexuality or the fact that "it's Apple, lol." I choose them because I prefer the way they design their hardware and software—they make products I enjoy using and feel have value. I'm also familiar with the other options and even use some in my own home.
Your words, not mine.

Quote:
Enough with the ad hominems. Apple users who like Apple annoy you. We get it.
How about you ask the plenty of other people around here that use Macs, like Devo, Enceph, CHz, hell, that motherfucker RABicle, and see if you get the same response. Just face it, it's because you suck as a person.

Matt

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:04 PM #110 of 138
Also I'll get Vista Ultimate for $7. Being in college rules.
No joke?
I can get Home Premium (Upgrade) for $90, but that $7 deal is the bomb.
How's come your college discount is a billion times better than mine?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:13 PM #111 of 138
No joke?
I can get Home Premium (Upgrade) for $90, but that $7 deal is the bomb.
How's come your college discount is a billion times better than mine?
Microsoft Campus Agreement, and I'm at a large university. $7 and it being Ultimate is tentative, as I'm basing it off of how Windows XP worked (Pro for $7,) all I know is that Vista and Office 2007 are becoming part of the program late March/early April.

FELIPE NO
Matt

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:29 PM #112 of 138
Oh, nice.

My University isn't small by any means, but it's not a large State University the likes of Michigan State or UCLA.
I believe it's Division II size by NCAA standards.

Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:06 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2007, 02:06 AM #113 of 138
Let's hope this guy didn't pay more than 7 bucks either...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxQm3IsSKAo

Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:15 PM #114 of 138
Nah, that's just Anthony from the Opie and Anthony radio show. I'm not surprised he did that, regardless if he paid for it himself or not.

How ya doing, buddy?
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:24 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2007, 09:24 AM #115 of 138
Man, you'd think a macfag like Cless would be even less likely to get Vista than the rest of us.

Did Microsoft poison the water supply or something?
Here's your official warning. Continue in this vein and you're taking a one-week vacation.

Have a nice day!

Most amazing jew boots
Matt

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Feb 9, 2007, 04:47 PM #116 of 138
I finally got to toy around with Vista on my friend's new laptop, and I don't know what to think.

I don't want to call it overbearing, because this is a laptop we're talking about, pre-loaded with all kinds of junk (free trials omg then I pay how much?) that hasn't been cleaned out yet.

One thing I noticed was the security prompt. I sort of like it, but it seems to be on way too many things. If there's a way to set it to only prompt for critical system changes then I'd be cool with it.

Another thing that struck me as odd was how often the hard drive was being accessed. Is that normal on Vista? What exactly is it doing?

I didn't hate it, so that's a good thing. I'd need more time to warm up to it though.

Cam
troll

Member 2604

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Feb 9, 2007, 05:07 PM Local time: Feb 9, 2007, 04:07 PM #117 of 138
There's a version of Vista on TPB stripped of DRM, palladium, and pretty much well anything not used explicitly for gaming.

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3610615/...NoDRM-INTERNAL

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Cam; Feb 9, 2007 at 08:04 PM.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Feb 9, 2007, 05:34 PM Local time: Feb 9, 2007, 11:34 PM #118 of 138
I doubt that. The core DRM-components are not separated from the kernel, so the team providing this Vista version would have reverse engineered the entire Vista kernel. This is no easy task even for a large team of experienced programmers - not comparable to something like the SafeDisc/SecuROM hacking.

How ya doing, buddy?
Cam
troll

Member 2604

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Feb 9, 2007, 08:02 PM Local time: Feb 9, 2007, 07:02 PM #119 of 138
It's supposedly done by someone who works at ms. considering that the iso is like 400mb, it's *really* stripped to hell.

I don't really care at this point though, won't be able to update it or anything. I won't be using vista until I absolutely have to for games.. even then I'd probably still be using XP primarily.

FELIPE NO
Roan
Chocobo

Member 1565

Level 13.78

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2007, 06:20 AM #120 of 138
have you guys heard of www.vistatestdrive.com

?

Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:28 AM #121 of 138
That was actually pretty neat. Even with the slowdown of using it remote access I got what I thought I'd like. I really really like the new explorer and feel of vista.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Feb 17, 2007, 07:33 AM Local time: Feb 17, 2007, 07:33 AM #122 of 138
I've got a new laptop with Vista and I'm unimpressed. Programs crashing left and right for one. Slow response time from waking up from the screen saver (Turion X64 2.0GHz 1GB RAM), but above all else, I'm most irked by three things I've noticed thus far in the short time.

1. Drop down menus in the Start Menu - What was wrong with the old setup? This just takes up more space.

2. Forcing the newest versions - Damn right I pirated Office 2007. I'm not buying a new one just because you refuse to let me use my old Word Processor.

3. Networking - For home networking and sharing, I should be allowed to use this Home Premium version, not have to get the $300 OS for simple features.

I'll probably end up whining in my ChocoJournal about it some time as I discover other problems, but the crashes and programs closing does kinda bother me.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Izlude
Fuck you.

Member 1761

Level 10.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:40 AM #123 of 138
I'm using a legit copy of Home Premium on my laptop, from which I am writing this post.

I've been running Vista on this machine for a couple of weeks now and I've had a great experience with it thus far. It's extremely responsive, very fast, and very stable. I don't think I've had an application crash yet other than Explorer crashing a couple of times because it was trying to create thumbnails for .avi files and I hadn't installed the codecs yet.

I'm really falling in love with a lot of the built-in stuff like Windows Photo Gallery. Sure, it isn't as fancy as some of the more expensive third-party programs, but for someone like me who just wants to upload/organize photos, it's a dream come true. I haven't used Windows DVD Maker yet, but I'm glad to see some native DVD support at last.

The rewritten network interface is awesome, for real. It generally takes me under 3 or 4 seconds to connect to a network completely (way faster than in XP).

Other thoughts:

Vista is similar to XP, but in many ways it's a totally new OS. Some applications aren't going to be compatible with it, or are going to have bugs, and that's just something we have to deal with. Things can't be totally backwards compatible forever because eventually it's going to get in the way of new concepts or programming. Mac had to do it when OS X came out, now it's our turn with Vista.

Overall, I'm having a great time with Vista, and I would definitely never go back to XP as my primary OS.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Sum Guy
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 20821

Level 1.02

Mar 2007

Old Mar 8, 2007, 04:07 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2007, 11:07 PM #124 of 138
Could someone please detail for me what Home Basic is missing? I mean, I dont have a lot of money but I'm still interested in the upgrade.

Used to see that good things were in everything around resting deep in middle class you never took it up the arse and always had it comfortable as everybody should you might have forgot your PIN but your sister is not on heroin.
It's been a long time since you were 13.
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 07:33 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2007, 01:33 PM #125 of 138
Basic doesn't have the whole fancy 3D-desktop and a lot of administrative tools/options are gone as well.

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...ns_and_pricing

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Let's talk about Windows Vista