Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Apple's Boot Camp

PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 09:14 PM #26 of 70
Originally Posted by MagicalVacation
Why headless? The Apple monitors are top of the line.
Because I already have a good monitor. And because one is likely to replace their monitor less often than their computer.

Maybe someone would like an iMac class machine, but doesn't want to pay for the screen each and every time they upgrade their machine. Maybe they want to run this iMac class machine on a bigger screen than the iMacs come in.

I agree that Apple sells great screens, but it sucks that to use one of their Cinema displays you are expected to run a mini (low end) or a Powermac (obscenely high end).

How ya doing, buddy?
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:58 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 09:58 PM #27 of 70
Well, unless you've actually USED a mac with OSX, you can't really get deeper into this...

Once you've worked with OSX for about two weeks, you know why you'll never go back to Windows.
They both have their weak and strong points. I find OSX less GUI tweak friendlt than Windows XP, of course OSX is Unix based, so that could explain my last opinion.
Generally Windows is to show of gaming, OSX is to show of movies and other forms of multimedia (which the popular programs for each OS emphasize).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
MagicalVacation
I'm drunk on love... And beer.

Member 1330

Level 11.42

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:05 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 11:05 AM #28 of 70
I agree.

And:

Originally Posted by Free.User
I think this isn't too bad, as long as XP doesn't run more slowly than it would on a similairly priced non-apple machine. I'm a bit skeptical however; when operating systems are emulated (VMware), the performance goes downhill. This is becuase not only does the computer have to process the emulated OS, but it has to process it`s own commands simultaneously. Unless Apple has somehow allowed XP to function independantly, I don`t think It will go over that well.

It runs natively, so unless I'm missing something, it'll work without any emulating.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:24 AM #29 of 70
In fact, actually, some people would say they run Windows even better than PC couterparts.

I was speaking idiomatically.
MagicalVacation

Member 1330

Level 11.42

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:31 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 11:31 AM #30 of 70
Well if that's true, it's going to be a (if not THE) best move Apple ever made. Even if some people say that they've just sold their soul.

Looking at this purely from an objective point of view, if I had no computer and had to decide between an apple computer that runs the best of both worlds or a Windows based PC that runs only Windows (and not even as good as the Apple hardware) it wouldn't even be a decision anymore, a Mac would be the obvious choice.

Double Post:
Ofcourse, the big question is, how long will it take before Microsoft starts fighting this.

Double Post:
Also: By the time this is integrated in OSX 10.5 Leopard, Vista will probably be out, and people will want to buy that instead of XP...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by MagicalVacation; Apr 6, 2006 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 06:34 AM #31 of 70
You've gotta ask yourself *why* MS would fight it.

This means that they get to sell more retail copies of Windows, which is a considerably higher profit margin for them than OEM. As far as they are concerned, why would it matter that it's going on an Apple branded machine as opposed to a Dell, HP, Acer, etc. machine?

FELIPE NO
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Old Apr 6, 2006, 07:24 AM #32 of 70
Originally Posted by Grigori Rasputin
Now all we need are Macs equipped with windows to be standard.
Seriously, I think it would be great if Apple would included the option when purchasing a new Mac of having Windows XP already given a 20 GB partition and installed when the Mac arrives at the cost of an OEM Windows XP Service Pack 2 disc.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

MagicalVacation

Member 1330

Level 11.42

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 09:34 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 03:34 PM #33 of 70
That's never gonna happen. And those are Apple's words, not mine.

Why would MS fight it? Well, they might sell more copies of Windows, but they'd also be helping Apple conquer a much bigger part of the computer world.

I think Microsoft would much rather fight Apple over this to ensure their own dominance on the market than make a bit more money on Windows sales.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:02 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 12:02 AM #34 of 70
Microsoft would fight it because should their operating system be compared side by side with OS X everyone will laugh.

I don't really understand why'd you want this. Apple computers running Windows would be like a really hot chick having hepatitus C.

Sure it might be a nice business move but I can't see myself ever doing this.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:05 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 09:05 AM #35 of 70
Originally Posted by Grigori Rasputin
Now all we need are Macs equipped with windows to be standard.

Who needs MAC OS, it's all upside down anyway.
Or, you know, you could just USE Mac OS X for a while and maybe you'd understand why people are so enthusiastic about it. It's just better in general—from the overall design to its look and feel to the functionality and uniformity of operation between applications... it's a smoother, more consistent, and more pleasant experience than Windows. (Not to mention safer).

I'm excited about Boot Camp because it means I can finally chuck this damned PC tower out the window and just buy a MacBook Pro. Then I've got MacOS X for all my daily needs (plus all my graphic design and video editing needs) since it's the system I actually enjoy, and I can reboot quickly into XP if I want to run a Windows-only game. No more need for two computers, an extra monitor, or any of that crap. Very convenient.

As for why Apple's stuff costs more (it's not 4 times as much, stop exaggerating), there are several reasons. One: Apple is a small hardware company whose profits are made on hardware margins, which they use to finance all their software development. Unlike Microsoft, Apple does not make the bulk of their money off OS X or iLife. They make most of their money off the sales of their hardware (computers and iPods). Thus to stay profitable they need to charge for their hardware. Two: Apple spends a lot of time custom designing motherboards, cases, and related items. It's no secret that their industrial design is a cut above anything else out there in the PC world. They make functional AND beautiful machines, and that costs money. And finally, three: Apple's machines simply are more functional than most PCs. Yes, you can self-build an "equivalent" PC for less money, but it's not as much less as you'd think. And in the realm of laptops, when you customize a Dell or other manufacturer's laptop to match a MacBook Pro, you'll find that it often costs nearly as much.

In the end, a Mac now is more functional than ANY PC. It can run Windows—whoop de doo, so can everyone else, but it can ALSO run the best operating system out there: Mac OS X. You can go anywhere for Windows, but there's only one place you can get OS X, and that's Apple.

killmoms - Well, don't really.
Makin' trailers er'ry day.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 01:26 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 10:26 AM #36 of 70
Quote:
In the end, a Mac now is more functional than ANY PC. It can run Windows—whoop de doo, so can everyone else, but it can ALSO run the best operating system out there: Mac OS X. You can go anywhere for Windows, but there's only one place you can get OS X, and that's Apple.
Like I asked before, what's to stop OS X from running on a Wintel machine now? Obviously if Windows XP can run on a Mac, then a simple logical conclusion is OS X will inversely run on a Wintel machine. And I'll be able to do it on better hardware that cost me half as much as it would buying a Mac. (Yes half as much, that is not an exaggeration. I'll do the exact breakdown if you would like.)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Cetra; Apr 6, 2006 at 01:29 PM.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 01:36 PM #37 of 70
There isn't anything stopping you, unless you want some official solution.

Apple probably won't release something to let you do that, though, since they'd be undercutting their own hardware sales.

Cless made that quite clear, if you could get past all the smugness.

Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 01:38 PM #38 of 70
MaxOS X does run on a WinTel box. Sort of. There is just a huge lack of driver support. Getting it to install takes some hacking, and unless you build a system to closely match the hardware inside of an iMac/Mac Mini you wont get support for wireless networking, graphics, or wired networking. So, while it runs, its more of a geek badge of pride than something useful.

BootCamp is little more than a collection of Windows drivers to support the Mac hardware. The real magic is in the recent firmware update that adds the necessary CSM to the EFI implementation that Apple had initially left out. This is what allows the booting of legacy operating systems, including non-EFI Linux.

Oh, and today a company called Parallels released a beta of their Virtualization software for MacOS X Intel (like VMWare) allowing the option of running Windows from within MacOS X rather than dual-booting.

How ya doing, buddy?
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 02:04 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 12:04 PM #39 of 70
Originally Posted by ElectricSheep
Oh, and today a company called Parallels released a beta of their Virtualization software for MacOS X Intel (like VMWare) allowing the option of running Windows from within MacOS X rather than dual-booting.
To Cetra, as ElectricSheep so helpfully pointed out, Apple's the only source for drivers for OS X. So unless you build an iMac clone (a desktop running a Core Duo on EFI with an ATI Radeon X1600 on PCIe, the same audio hardware, etc...) you won't have support for all your stuff. Running OS X on PCs requires you hack and steal (no boxed version of OS X for Intel exists yet, and won't until version 10.5 Leopard comes out sometime early next year) and it's still nowhere near an optimum experience. So, that's what's preventing you. No support. Apple can choose to release drivers for their hardware to work seamlessly with Windows. They can also choose not to release a version of OS X that will run on whatever crud you put together.

And yes, please build me a Core Duo based system in an attractive, slim, space-saving case with full-featured hardware for half the cost of a Mac. The last thing I want in the world is another ugly, space-hogging mid-tower.

And to ElectricSheep—not just Windows. Parallels will run pretty much any x86-based operating system, by the look of things. Much like VMWare.

FELIPE NO
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:52 PM #40 of 70
Originally Posted by Cless
And yes, please build me a Core Duo based system in an attractive, slim, space-saving case with full-featured hardware for half the cost of a Mac. The last thing I want in the world is another ugly, space-hogging mid-tower.
Now, now, beggars can't be choosers here.

This is a very important lesson you'll have to learn.

killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:00 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 10:00 PM #41 of 70
Originally Posted by Merv Burger
Now, now, beggars can't be choosers here.

This is a very important lesson you'll have to learn.
Nonsense. I have a choice, and I've chosen it. People value different things, and that's something that the "PCs ARE OMG CHEAPER" crowd needs to learn. I value the total package, and I'm willing and able to pay for it. I think outside the insular nerd community that's the prevalent view.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:38 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 11:38 PM #42 of 70
Except you can still get a high quality PC for cheaper than a high quality Mac.

How ya doing, buddy?

Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 01:00 AM #43 of 70
Bah, who wants Windows on their computer anyway? Thanks to some random problem my XP install is now useless, and since I've been living in Linux all year anyway I don't even see the point of repairing it. Mac OS X is the only other operating system I'd want to have on here, but considering how much control I have over everything in Linux I don't know if I'd spend much time on that either. And the look of my computer case is not so important to me that I'd buy a Mac for the sole purpose of putting Linux on it.

el jacko
nobody knows

Member 838

Level 18.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 01:38 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 03:38 PM #44 of 70
Originally Posted by Stealth
Except you can still get a high quality PC for cheaper than a high quality Mac.
But getting a high quality PC means you can't run Mac OS X without serious compromises to the OS. And part of the effectiveness of OS X is based on its close ties to the hardware it runs on (allowing the OS to exploit it in a manner it couldn't do if it had to support every piece of hardware on the market). Severing the ties between Mac OS X and the Mac hardware kills a great part of the appeal of getting a Mac.

How ya doing, buddy?
Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 02:20 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 01:20 AM #45 of 70
That's why we have Linux. MacOs isn't the end-all be all of operating systems. Besides, it's just a matter of time before those hackers out there figure out an easy process to get Mac Os X installed on a PC anyway.

Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 05:24 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 11:24 AM #46 of 70
Originally Posted by Magic
Bah, who wants Windows on their computer anyway? Thanks to some random problem my XP install is now useless, and since I've been living in Linux all year anyway I don't even see the point of repairing it.
Yup, my Windows is giving me crap a few weeks after install as well and I just use that bitch for games. I agree on the notion that a MacOSX/Linux dual boot scenario would be the prefereable setup on an Intel Mac, but this still doesen't solve the gaming issue. And Call of Cthulhu has been pretty good so far... =/

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:53 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 08:53 AM #47 of 70
Originally Posted by Stealth
That's why we have Linux. MacOs isn't the end-all be all of operating systems. Besides, it's just a matter of time before those hackers out there figure out an easy process to get Mac Os X installed on a PC anyway.
If you think Linux is in any way comparable to the current state of OS X, you're dreaming.

FELIPE NO
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 11:37 AM #48 of 70
No, it's not.

But to think OS X is better than sex, like you appear to be doing, is just as much dreaming.

MagicalVacation

Member 1330

Level 11.42

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:28 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 06:28 PM #49 of 70
OSX is sex for the brain

:biggrin:

No, let's not go down that road, but you can't argue with millions of dedicated fans worldwide. OSX doesn't get in your face like Windows does. I'm actually a fan of XP as well, before I got OSX I was pretty happy with the way it went, but then it was one virus after the other and things went downhill very fast from there on... OSX is a tool that sits quietly in the background, but does everything you want it to do, very gracefully. Anyways, that's just my two cents.

How ya doing, buddy?
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 03:47 PM #50 of 70
OSX is sex for the brain
There's equal amounts of things that would make a user confused/wonder why the fuck they chose a way to do something/etc., etc. in OS X, Windows, and Linux.

To deny this would mean you're naïve. Or maybe even stupid.

Quote:
No, let's not go down that road, but you can't argue with millions of dedicated fans worldwide. OSX doesn't get in your face like Windows does. I'm actually a fan of XP as well, before I got OSX I was pretty happy with the way it went, but then it was one virus after the other and things went downhill very fast from there on... OSX is a tool that sits quietly in the background, but does everything you want it to do, very gracefully. Anyways, that's just my two cents.
What the fuck are you even saying.

That may be your $.02, but exchange rates say otherwise.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Apple's Boot Camp