Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Let's talk about Windows Vista

Adamgian
Political Palace Denizen

Member 1443

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2007, 03:45 PM #126 of 138
I finally got a chance to try Vista at a SonyStyle store this week, and was pretty unimpressed. Granted, what I used was a laptop, but it just didn't feel like it worked that well. The look of everything just wasn't terribly sharp; I don't know how to really be more specific in that.

I also didn't have much time however, so I guess these are really just surface feelings. However, I did like the Window scrolling (windows+tab) feature. I'd probably never use it, but it was pretty cool.

Oh well, I'll also try to pick up a version on a Student Discount and run it in BootCamp eventually. I love OSX, but its bloody hell for gaming.

How ya doing, buddy?
FLEX
Unavailable.

Member 2156

Level 9.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2007, 04:17 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2007, 03:17 PM #127 of 138
I'm holding off on Vista until the driver situation is largely sorted out.

Meanwhile, I've had the opportunity to test out Vista on another laptop. Brings nothing new to the table -- nearly everything that could have set it apart was stripped out.

FELIPE NO
smatys
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 21196

Level 1.21

Mar 2007

Old Mar 19, 2007, 09:17 PM #128 of 138
i agree with flex, the problems wih vista like all new windows software is the bugs. have to give them a few months to fix em

Most amazing jew boots
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:18 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2007, 08:18 PM #129 of 138
Other than software compatibility problems (granted Windows XP had that problem during the Win9x -> WinNT transition), the only major gripe I have with Vista is UAC. The experience with Vista is thusfar good enough that I only plan to use Windows XP when a program refuses to run.

Back to UAC though, I really think it's too overbearing. While I don't plan to turn it off, I do wish there was a degree of warnings/confirmations less the the current state. If you've ever tried to delete a file from the Program Files folder, you know exactly what I mean (three warnings to delete some shitty temp file? Why?).

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 01:38 AM #130 of 138
Yeah, I turned UAC off. It was really fucking annoying. I imagine that if they don't do some sort of major upgrade to let off the hassle in an update in the future then most people will end up doing the same.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

ramseytheii
Walter Ramsey

Member 10769

Level 11.34

Aug 2006

Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:10 AM #131 of 138
Just got a new computer with Vista. Tried to install Sibelius 4, and it said I needed to be a computer administrator to register. But I am the administrator. Is this becauyse Silbeius 4 is incompatible with Vista? Or is ther esomething I can do.

Thanks,
Walter Ramsey

How ya doing, buddy?
Walter Ramsey
ramseytheii@hotmail.com
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:15 AM #132 of 138
You can go to the shortcut of the program or the program itself and tell it to run in Administrator mode. Also, you should probably turn off Vista's UAC because that shit is hella annoying.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

ramseytheii
Walter Ramsey

Member 10769

Level 11.34

Aug 2006

Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:25 AM #133 of 138
Whats UAC? Is that the thing that makes it ask me to confirm every operation
How do I turn it off?

Walter Ramsey

PS Your advice worked, ran in administrator mode and it allowed me to register
Thanks

I was speaking idiomatically.
Walter Ramsey
ramseytheii@hotmail.com

Last edited by ramseytheii; Mar 24, 2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 08:51 PM #134 of 138
User Account Control. Name basically says it.

Anyway go to Control Panel, then User Accounts, and click on Turn User Account Control on or off. It'll probably say nooo y u do this? or something but it's pretty simple and then Vista is cool beans with just about everything.

No prob, I did a bit of research before diving into Vista so I knew what I was doing and what to avoid and such when I installed it. I did fool around to see how UAC reacts to certain things and basically it reacts to just about everything. It's not as exaggerated as some amusing images from its betas might tell you but it does get old after a while.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by FatsDomino; Mar 24, 2007 at 08:54 PM.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 24, 2007, 08:56 PM Local time: Mar 24, 2007, 06:56 PM #135 of 138
User Account Control. Name basically says it.

Anyway go to Control Panel, then User Accounts, and click on Turn User Account Control on or off. It'll probably say nooo y u do this? or something but it's pretty simple and then Vista is cool beans with just about everything.
You know, if UAC had a the ability to remember which programs you allow permissions for (and had a firewall/anti-virus like MD5 checking system), then the option to turn this shit off wouldn't seem so attractive.

You think they could've though that out when the tested the feature themselves.

Most amazing jew boots
Old Mar 24, 2007, 09:21 PM #136 of 138
Yeah, I imagine they'll probably do that eventually with a service pack. The problem is very apparent when you think of it from a user's stand point. They probably decided to put it off for later and get the product out.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

ramseytheii
Walter Ramsey

Member 10769

Level 11.34

Aug 2006

Old Mar 25, 2007, 07:55 PM #137 of 138
Thanks for your help with that issue.
One little thing: I don't like the new "Freecell" and "Hearts" that come with Vista. Is there anyway to get the old versions - I still have my XP up and running? Are there just files I can copy over, or can I download these somewhere?

I searched for the files in Program Files and Windows folders, but couldn't find anything that suggested these games.

Thanks
Walter Ramsey

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Walter Ramsey
ramseytheii@hotmail.com
Old Mar 25, 2007, 08:32 PM #138 of 138
Here, I always back-up my previous installations so I went and got the games that work for Vista which is most of them. Unfortunately Internet Backgammon, I. Checkers, I. Hearts, I. Reversi, and I. Spades don't work.

I've included Freecell, Hearts, Minesweeper, Solitaire, Spider Solitaire, and even Space Cadet Pinball. Some of the card games require the included cards.dll to be in the same folder, so don't lose it. Enjoy! =)

Just a note, to find out where these games were all you'd have to do is go through your old xp start menu and look at where the shortcuts point to by looking at their target properties.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by FatsDomino; Mar 25, 2007 at 08:37 PM.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Let's talk about Windows Vista