Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Ask a pianist.

Decoy Goat
25 to life on probation

Member 650

Level 16.06

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:00 AM #126 of 165
strange fact: I actually like gackt's piano solo 'blue', also I think that his malice mizer 'regret' was kind of nifty too.

bishounens can sometimes be useful ;(

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:00 AM #127 of 165
If you're deciding between Schumann and anything else, choose anything else.

FELIPE NO
pianist
Musiker

Member 1155

Level 11.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 07:08 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 10:08 AM #128 of 165
Thanks for both of your suggestions Luckee Cookie and Minion
I'll chat to my teacher next week and see what he says about each song as well.
Schumann's song sounds okay but not my style, i only like the last two parts and reaching 10th is kind of okay for me so don't worring about that =)
Minion it seems you hate Schumann so much...but i reckon his piano pieces are much better than Mozart =P

How ya doing, buddy?
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:46 PM #129 of 165
I'm not Mozart's biggest fan, but he is leaps and bounds better than Schumann.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Decoy Goat
25 to life on probation

Member 650

Level 16.06

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:52 PM #130 of 165
Yeah but to be fair so is well... anybody.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I <3 Cheryl.
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:47 PM #131 of 165
Oh, c'mon. There's gotta be someone worse than Schumann.

I live close by Manhattan. By port authority, there is this bum I guess or maybe just a crazy guy, but he has a drum set and he just sits there playing nonsense in the most unenthusiastic way imaginable. That guy is probably worse than Schumann.

Most amazing jew boots
pianist
Musiker

Member 1155

Level 11.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2006, 02:49 AM Local time: Apr 13, 2006, 05:49 PM #132 of 165
sorry for disappearing for a while...
was busy with exams...
my final decision (or shall i say my teacher's final decision) is learning Khachaturian's toccata
so no Schumann =P

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
TheHobbyMan151
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5128

Level 1.47

Apr 2006

Old Apr 13, 2006, 02:54 PM Local time: Apr 13, 2006, 11:54 AM #133 of 165
how do you manage practicing every day and get so good??

I was speaking idiomatically.
pianist
Musiker

Member 1155

Level 11.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:48 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 01:48 PM #134 of 165
i've got another question here and i don't know if anyone can please answer this question for me. I've been looking for an answer for quite a long time but even searching online or library didn't help.
So the question is
Does anyone know if Rachmaninoff played the cello or not? Or was piano his only instrument?

How ya doing, buddy?
garrettni
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5341

Level 1.73

Apr 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:10 PM #135 of 165
any one like the Prokofiev 2nd piano concerto?
I can play the 3rd movement, I want to find a ochestra accompany recording, like the music minus one once, does anyone has it?

How ya doing, buddy?
Arienas
Halsey <3

Member 1626

Level 6.48

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 04:41 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 03:41 PM #136 of 165
The only things I've heard from Hamelin are his recordings of Grainger pieces. They're beautiful.

Question for any of those who play accompaniments:

From a pianist's point of view, do you enjoy playing accompaniments with other instruments, or is it more for the money? Whenever I perform a flute solo with a pianist, I always feel like they deserve more recognition.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 07:42 AM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 07:42 PM #137 of 165
@pianist
As far as I know, Rachmaninoff only played Piano, but I found it's questionable since he also composed some compositions for Cello isn't it?

question for you: What's the first virtuostic composition you played?

You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 04:54 PM #138 of 165
@Arienas

It's more like "I want to help my friend out." As much as I would love recognition, I am always thinking "this is her song, it's called accompaniment for a reason." Plus it's fun to see how two instruments combine to make a beautiful piece

pianist
Musiker

Member 1155

Level 11.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:45 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 04:45 PM #139 of 165
@eriol
Same here i only know that Rachmaninoff played the piano, but his compositions for piano or cello are much better than most of his other works, so that's why i want to know if he played the cello. Thanks for answering.

As for your question: the first virtuostic composition......hmmmmmmm.....i don't which pieces could be consider virtuostic, would you please give a few examples?....but i can tell you that i have never ever play a piano concerto before =P

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:25 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 03:25 PM #140 of 165
Let's see... Rachmaninoff's, Ravel's, Chopin's, or Liszt's would be an obvious example. what is the first compostion you played done by these composer?

Also, did you actually spend 8 hours per day playing that boring Hanon? My instructor said it's the absolute requirement to become professional pianist... OMG, that made me retreating my dream to become a pianist.

Anyway, I'm more interested in History of Music now. Let me know If you need resources or discussion toward a composer's life.

You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

pianist
Musiker

Member 1155

Level 11.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 07:31 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 10:31 AM #141 of 165
i don't spend 8 hours per day playing Hanon =P
i'm still at high school at the moment so i also busy with school works, right now i'm in holiday so i can practice more. My piano teacher didn't tell me to practice Hanon, he gave another piano technique book to use (he said this book is one of the best exercise book and it's kind of out of print already) and i have my own piano technique book as well. Say if i practice 4 hours that day, i'll spend at least half of that time practicing technique stuffs.

The first virtuostic composition i played.....let me think...
i think the first one i touch on is Ravel when i was in Grade 7 lol
then it's Chopin Nocturnes and Waltzes
I guess the Chopin Nocturne will be the first virtuostic composition i did, i cant remember exactly the name, but it's either op62 no1 or op62 no2.
I have played some virtuostic compositions alone without teacher's trainings and they are not nicely done yet and i realised i need to concentrate more on my techniques so basically i left them aside for a while.
My best playing on a virtuostic composition is probably Elegie by Rachmaninoff and it's one of my favourite piece as well =)
I still haven't decided yet if i wanted to become a professional pianist, if i do i know i need at least 6 hours of practice each day but with the amount of school works i getting from school it's impossible and i don't think my parents really want me to concentrate on music so they don't want me to spend so much time on practicing, which is annoying....

Do you study Music in Uni?
Thanks for offering help, i'll probably ask soon since as music students in our school, we need to perform at least once a term (4 times in a year, one of them is gonna be a recital) and most of the time, we are required to talk about the composers.

By the way, are you playing Hanon for 8 hours per day??

Most amazing jew boots
garrettni

Member 5341

Level 1.73

Apr 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 09:31 PM #142 of 165
I go to college, and when ever I am free, I just let my self rot infront of the piano, hm.......I would say I practice average 10 hours if no classes. I am currently learning the Rach 2nd 1st mvt, got 1/3 down and took me a week, is that progressive, how long did it take you(who ever plays it) to learn the 1st mvt?

eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:35 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 10:35 AM #143 of 165
Originally Posted by pianist
By the way, are you playing Hanon for 8 hours per day??
Uh there is no way I would do it. in the past I tried to play hanon regularly for 2 hours... and It only lasted for three days xD. I guess I'm not really interested in piano anymore...

Originally Posted by pianist
Do you study Music in Uni?
No, but I love reading books about composers. When I was in high school, I wrote a paper about music history contains biography of Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and Chopin. Too bad there is no musicology at any university in my country, I wish I could enter one.

FELIPE NO

pianist
Musiker

Member 1155

Level 11.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:15 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 02:15 PM #144 of 165
no musicology at any university in your country!? How come?
wouldn't there be at least one university to study music??
what about music colleges?

Most amazing jew boots
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:44 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 11:44 AM #145 of 165
Well, my teacher said so during a consultation. There are Several universities which have music as major studies, but they are not cheap. -_-; most of music colleges here only majoring in performance I think (piano, flute, etc). I ended up in international relations instead.

The funny is, I'm more knowledgeable to music history than my friends who are studying in music colleges. They are really2 lazy to read literature.

next question: do you study how to compose too? What's your favorite style in composition? Baroque? Romantic? Classical? Atonal?

pianist
Musiker

Member 1155

Level 11.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:34 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 03:34 PM #146 of 165
i see, yes it does cost quite a lot to study music and it's pretty to find a good earning job after graduate from music....maybe you can try out for music scholarships? (i don't know if it requires performing, but i think you should fine with that)

I do study composing as well but i'm not a pro on it. I have like 3 different teachers at school for music, one is our main music teacher, she teaches ous theory and musicology, the other one help us with our performing (whom is also my piano teacher =D) and the third teacher teaches us composing and i think he's pretty famous.

My favourite style in composition used to be late Classical but nowadays i'm leaning towards late Romantic style. Sometimes i compose some atonal but that usually only occur when i'm too lazy to compose and a piece of work is due =P
what about you? Do you compose as well?

eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:10 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 11:10 PM #147 of 165
Uh no, I did try to learn things or two about composition. I even bought a book of introduction to composition, but in the end it's just sleeping with dust in the shelf. Too damn hard when you have no teacher ^^; if I became a composer, I would write music in baroque style for sure xD

Oh yeah, when you compose, do you use instrument to help you composing the tunes? or you just scribble it down? (assuming you have perfect pitch and could name any tune perfectly)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

pianist
Musiker

Member 1155

Level 11.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:54 AM Local time: Apr 28, 2006, 02:54 AM #148 of 165
At least you can still compose even without learning properly =P
I only compose baroque style for twice, the first time was a disaster anyway i normally hear a tune in my head and then i'll try to play it on the piano and write the tune down and unfortunately i'm the only one in the class who plays the piano but doesn't have perfect pitch =(
When i have absolutely no idea what i should compose, i'll just sit infront of the piano for ages =P

eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:23 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2006, 12:23 AM #149 of 165
Oh yeah, when you do free improvisation, what key do you play at? I mostly play in Cm or C. That's because I practiced from wrong root... two years ago I started to improvise Ballade in Cm by Buergmuller. Since then my mind seems unconsciously play the motifs of that song.

Sigh, I really wish could play in another key. Is there any tips to practice playing in another keys? (I would love to play in Gb, my favorite key.) I feel stucked in keyboard improvisation. While people could improvise pop songs, I could only play in Cm...

How ya doing, buddy?

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:59 PM #150 of 165
As much as I want to learn piano, composition and music theory interests me far more. What suggestions can you make so I don't end up like Phillip Glass?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Ask a pianist.