Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Front Page Articles

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamers Month ver. 2 - Borderlands

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2010, 02:46 PM #1 of 3
Gamers Month ver. 2 - Borderlands

Final Fantasy VIII is a fantastic game, the best game its developer has ever put out by a mile. It takes a pair of established genres, decides they're much better off helping one another out, and runs with it, delivering a game that has little room for improvement. Sure, the story's a bit bland, the ending felt rushed, and the interface is clunky, but the important matter is that not nearly as many people have played this game as it deserves.

Squall, the main gun-toting quiet man of this game, makes a great protagonist because he never says anything to get in the way of the story. It just keeps moving on, allowing you to feel like YOU'RE the one being carried along on this journey. In a mix of sci-fi, fantasy, and original elements all its own, you get to explore a world filled with guns, strange midget creatures, and flying pterodactyl creeps, and you get to kill them all!

Whatever.

This game is, in essence, an RPG, but it goes out of its way to mess with convention in ways that make a whole lot of sense. Rather than giving you an unlimited pool of resources to kill things with, you have to run around and gather your ammunition from enemies, in a process called Drawing that isn't really all that annoying. It's a neat difference from the standard RPG formula and is pretty fun!

While these RPG elements are all well and good, Final Fantasy VIII tapped into the universal truth that we all just want to shoot shit. Every now and again, you get to control a man named Laguna (who combines with the main story in an interesting way) and shoot the living bejesus out of things, in little extra sequences that feel completely different from the rest of the game. I find it amazing that the balance of shooting and RPG mechanics was kept as well balanced as it was.

Wait a minute, hold on, I got mixed up. I've been describing a shitty game while thinking of a good one. Let's try this again.

Borderlands is a fantastic game, the best game its developer has ever put out by a mile. It takes a pair of established genres, decides they're much better off helping one another out, and runs with it, delivering a game that has little room for major improvement. Sure, the story's a bit bland, the ending felt rushed, and the interface is clunky, but the important matter is that not nearly as many people have played Borderands as it deserves.

Action RPGs have, for the most part, gotten predictable. They are defined mainly by a template that Diablo perfected, with not much in the way of wholesale variations on the formula. This isn't a bad thing, it's just stale unless done really well (like Torchlight). Gearbox Software, apparently, noticed that while there are certain things in an action RPG that are rather central to the genre, the actual killing of monsters doesn't have to be a point and click slash fest, and the setting doesn't have to be fantasy. Borderlands decided to take the guts of an action RPG (find randomly generated loot, do lots of quests and kill lots of dudes) and graft it to a first person shooter.

Blending first person shooters with RPGs has been done before, with Bethesda's games (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Morrowind) being the most obvious candidates. Those games, however, deliberately slow down the action either by using some method of slowing the player down (Oblivion's stamina meter) or heavily encouraging use of "the RPG stuff" (Fallout 3's VATS is much more useful than "normal shooting"). Borderlands figures that a game doesn't have to be slow-paced at all to be an RPG, and so it goes for a run and gun style that is a LOT more accessible to people who don't normally play RPGs.

Headshots are fun.

The shooting and RPG elements are put together in a very satisfying way. Things that you shoot, in RPG tradition, signify their injuries with flying damage numbers. Seeing a stream of damage erupt from an enemy that's on fire is particularly satisfying. Critical hits show up, as could be expected, and for headshot fanatics/snipers, headshots are all but guaranteed to cause a critical hit, in another nod to the shooter side. Items signify their presence with a neat little pillar of light that you soon become addicted to finding. Guns that shoot elemental damage create small explosions of that element upon impact. Everywhere you turn in Borderlands, the stylized visuals aren't just used as eye candy, but as gameplay feedback, and it works to let the RPG stuff tell you what you're doing without getting in the way of the pace of the shooting.

LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF GUNS

As any ARPG nut can tell you, what can make or break a game of this type, first person or no, is the loot drops. There needs to be a clear sense of progression in loot, making you feel increasingly powerful as the game goes on. It can't just be minute changes in numbers, you have to somehow be able to SEE the difference. Again, Borderlands obliges visually using a combination of having the guns be all sorts of pretty colors as well as actually changing their shape based on their stats. Have a weapon with zoom? It'll have a scope on it. Extra magazine size? The clip you load in's probably going to look massive to reflect that. Extra melee damage? Look for the bayonet attachment. The guns' changing shapes, firing rates, and reload speeds help you feel more powerful as you go on, and as you get more and more used to searching for pillars of light, there's nothing more satisfying than seeing that purple or orange pillar that signifies RARE LOOT!

And what rare loot there is. One of this game's biggest assets is how ridiculous the guns get. Sure, the guns have randomized statistics and name prefixes and suffixes to match, but how many games have you played where you can pick up a shotgun and discover it shoots rockets? How many sniper rifles have you picked up in Call of Duty that burst fire when you're aiming down the sight? How many rocket launchers have you seen that fire more rockets while the original shot is in flight? Sure, some of these hidden modifications are ridiculous or impractical, but it's fun to play with them just the same, and it's just one more thing to keep you hunting for loot, and therefore interested in the game.

I've spent probably too much time going into the nitty gritty of the game, I think, so I'll get to the point. There are two things that make this game impressive and worth a look by just about anyone.

First is the way that fast-paced first-person shooting and RPGs have been successfully combined in a way that doesn't compromise much of either genre. The gunplay is fast, feels powerful, and rewards skill as much as it does "I have more experience than you". The role-playing, while not the deepest in the world, is well-balanced, easy to learn the terminology of, and gets out of your way when needed. Neither genre ever pushes the other out of the way, which is damned impressive.

The second is its fantastic coop experience. What a lot of developers seem to forget when they emulate Diablo is that the online multiplayer provided more lasting power than the singleplayer did. Gearbox remembered that this is just as important, if not more so, than the singleplayer campaign, and did things right all over the place here, especially on consoles. Lately, the idea of drop-in coop or local multiplayer on consoles seems about as quaint as four-player splitscreen. In Borderlands, you get 2-player local coop as well as 4-player online parties. The game scales to accomodate the extra players, and the fun really gets going as everybody has to work together to take enemies down with any semblance of speed (or without dying). While the singleplayer more than holds up on its own, the game is at its best when you get to show off your cool guns while blasting dudes in the face.

Borderlands is like incredibly delicious mayonnaise. Oil and water have no business being together, generally speaking, but there's mayonnaise right there, and it's awesome. Same thing with Borderlands. It takes a deft touch to mix role-playing and shooting in a way that leaves neither feeling compromised, but Gearbox has achieved it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Tehgato
Welcome Home

Member 2607

Level 9.30

Mar 2006

Old May 6, 2010, 01:13 AM #2 of 3
Amen, brutha. This game is like crack and that's why they will be making DLC4 in the near future.

The skill custom system is STUPID AWESOME and the quotes are hysterical. This was the most satisfying buy I've had since Super Smash Brothers Melee, and that says a lot because I played SSBM so much I had to buy the CD twice.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
This cat will kill you.
Spoiler:
Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2010, 10:27 PM #3 of 3
It's a amazing game, but to say its incredibly addictive I would disagree with that. That is of course a matter of opinion but after finishing the game twice on a max level Mordecai and Roland I found very little reason to keep playing. Even with all the DLC they released.

Cant stress enough, this game is MADE for co-op. Playing it on your own is just not interesting at all. Think along the lines of Left 4 Dead.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Soldier: Prepare yourself, rebel scum!!

Arngrim : (These slipshod soldiers think they can call me "rebel scum"?)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Front Page Articles > Gamers Month ver. 2 - Borderlands