Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Final Fantasy XIV

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:53 AM Local time: Feb 14, 2011, 01:53 AM #26 of 58
I can think of a number of titles that have failed the series, XIV being their latest abortion.

How ya doing, buddy?
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:56 AM #27 of 58
Nominating this for thread of the year

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:29 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2012, 07:29 AM #28 of 58
lol this thread

who would even play this game anymo- oh

Couldn't be bothered to think of any real names and thought this an appropriate tribute.

Most amazing jew boots
NYRSkate
Happy Hour in Hell's Sports Bar

Member 4

Level 18.19

Feb 2006

Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:22 AM #29 of 58
Fucking manthra.

I was speaking idiomatically.
<Mercarios> I voted for hut hut, because it's a superior track, but you gotta draw a line between having fun and going too far
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:26 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2012, 10:26 AM #30 of 58
The fuck, Skate is back-- whatever, weird shit happens nowadays. A Realm Reborn actually looks like it might be halfway decent, so maybe I'll pick it up when it launches. I am wondering what sort of nightmare female Galka(-but-not-named-Galka-anymore) look like.

EDIT: Wait, I just noticed something. WHAT THE FUCK are those things flying in the background

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Aug 20, 2012 at 11:12 PM.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:17 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2012, 07:17 PM #31 of 58
Manqo'te won't be showing up for a couple months at least. Thank goodness.

The fuck, Skate is back-- whatever, weird shit happens nowadays. A Realm Reborn actually looks like it might be halfway decent, so maybe I'll pick it up when it launches. I am wondering what sort of nightmare female Galka(-but-named-Galka-anymore) look like.
Female Roegadyn look pretty good. There's already one in-game as the leader of one of the city-states, but the designs for the playable look a little different. Mostly the thickness.

Quote:
EDIT: Wait, I just noticed something. WHAT THE FUCK are those things flying in the background
Those are Garlean Empire airships. A couple patches ago they were barely visible, flying across the sky. Last patch they got bigger. After this most recent patch, well. The game is setting itself up for a big showdown.

FELIPE NO
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:26 PM Local time: Aug 19, 2012, 09:26 PM #32 of 58
They look like massive goddamn flying isopods.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:00 AM #33 of 58
I'm actually liking how the showdown/thing/whatever setup for ARR is going. It's pretty slick.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:24 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2012, 06:24 PM #34 of 58
The game was pretty crap at launch. It's still kinda crappy right now, but it's reasonably fun and entertaining crap. I'm really looking forward to seeing if they can keep up this push well into 2.0 launch.

Most amazing jew boots
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:59 AM Local time: Nov 11, 2012, 02:59 AM #35 of 58
YouTube Video

FFXIV 1.X is now over.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:25 PM Local time: Nov 11, 2012, 01:25 PM 2 #36 of 58
All MMOs that fail should have meteors slammed into them.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Maris
pussy violat0r

Member 25507

Level 19.75

Oct 2007

Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:42 PM Local time: Jan 14, 2013, 09:42 PM #37 of 58
ne1 else l00king 4ward to the next installement ?

Maris
pussy violat0r

Member 25507

Level 19.75

Oct 2007

Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:03 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2013, 11:03 PM 2 #38 of 58
No? Oh well what the fukk

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2013, 08:52 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2013, 09:52 AM #39 of 58
Did anyone join the beta? They've been giving out beta keys to people, and I'm pretty tempted to try it but I just don't have the time. How is it? Any difference from the old version? Is it worth getting it this time?

FELIPE NO
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:33 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2013, 07:33 PM #40 of 58
I got into the beta, but I never played the original so I can't compare it. Combat is mostly like FF XI-- which is to say, it's like most MMORPGs. The music is good, there's a surprising quantity of actual narrative here, quests are worth a damn (in XI it seemed like they were only good for getting advanced Jobs). I do like these weird Fate things, which are impromptu mini-quests that pop up in the field that anyone can join in on and get experience/items. One had like 20 players ganging up on this one bandit chick, another murdering Cactuars for drops. My favorite was against a horde of beastmen-- a solid 50 players charging endless waves of lizard men and Qiqirn (mobs from Aht Urghan in XI) for about five minutes. Pretty fun.

Still on the fence, though. The only reason I liked XI so much was because it was like Final Fantasy V Online: tons of jobs and variations. I mean, technically Jobs and Subjobs are still around, but in a weird way. Not a big fan of how they work, though at least there's Paladin.

I'd probably be all aboard if there was Blue Mage or Puppeteer, but for now I'm cautiously optimistic. God I miss PUP.

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:00 PM #41 of 58
I've been in since the Alpha (and also played some 1.0) and it's WAY more polished and much better than the original version. And a hell of a lot prettier, if that matters.

It's really cool to see a bunch of similar areas and place names that were destroyed/ravaged by [the calamity at the end of 1.0] rebuilt, but still familiar. The FATE system is pretty neat too.

That said... I'm gonna say though that the battle system feels NOTHING like FFXI's. If anything I'd say they took the base system from WoW and made all kinds of improvements and basically made it into its own game. I wouldn't call it a WoW-clone by any means, but if I had to compare the base battle system to some other popular game, that'd be a fair comparison.

That said (since I get it for free) I'll likely be playing this once it comes out in August.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:53 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2013, 08:53 PM #42 of 58
That said... I'm gonna say though that the battle system feels NOTHING like FFXI's.
How do you measure feelings, exactly? All I mean is that all MMORPGs have the same general battle system (in that you can move around freely and you're essentially operating under an invisible ATB). They can have subtleties like the weapon proficiencies from XI, but if you've played one MMO, you've got the gist of every battle system.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2013, 01:04 AM #43 of 58
I just meant that in XI everything is menu-based (or text commands, if you prefer)... in that you have to select commands, sub-commands, and targets, (example: Magic > Fire > Target, or Abilities > Weaponskills > Frostbite > Target, and the like) almost like in traditional RPGs, whereas in XIV it's got more of a MMO-type feel. I have nothing against XI (I still play it to be honest), it's just so drastically different from most other MMORPGs that I've played, and XIV definitely doesn't have the same feel. That's all.

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2013, 07:58 AM Local time: Jul 2, 2013, 08:58 PM #44 of 58
Well, it looks good good based on what I've seen online. I just don't have the time to play MMOs anymore. Although I might just try it if I have the time.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2013, 01:13 PM #45 of 58
The phase 4 (open) beta should be starting soon (within the next couple weeks), so that might be a good time to give it a try. You know, since it'd be free and all.

Adol
Wind of the Plains.

Member 17840

Level 9.35

Jan 2007

Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:25 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2013, 06:25 PM #46 of 58
Never tried classic FF XIV, since I have a strong aversion to spending money on bad games.

That said, I did get a key for the current beta test of A Realm Reborn, and spent a few hours running around last night. First off, the game engine seems pretty solid. Didn't run into any major bugs; a few graphical glitches and anti-aliasing doesn't seem to work right, but there's a good chance that's AMD drivers and not the game proper. Graphics are quite nice, and more importantly, the game runs smoother than a Draven made out of butter and wrapped in silk. Guild Wars 2 hangs out in around 20FPS at the best of times on this computer, and FF XIV never seemed to drop below 30 frames per second even when a dozen moe catboys and catgirls were running around shanking helpless Cactuars in front of me.

I AM A HUNDRED FEET TALL and also the only black person in the entire world

Gameplay-wise, it feels like a slightly slowed down version of World of Warcraft. You don't get the action elements like dodging that games like Guild Wars 2 brought along. This might not be a bad thing, since as anyone who's played that game knows, every single fight turns into an action-obscuring particle effect maelstrom within about two seconds. Gamepad controls work very well if you have a mouse and keyboard along to do boring menial nerd tasks like inventory management and chat; I switched over to my 360 controller and never looked back. Quests have tended towards the Twenty Bear Asses side so far, but at least they aren't random drop dependent yet, and the rewards are good. World events are a neat touch.

This plate mail let through a disturbing amount of jiggle. Always remember to pack a good bra with your adventuring kit.

I dunno if I'll pick it up when it hits retail, but the fact that I'd even consider buying it and paying subscription fees is a pretty big compliment to the developers! They've managed to turn a Duke Nukem Forever-level laughingstock into a game that's actually worth a look, and that's no small feat.

Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:35 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2013, 05:35 PM #47 of 58
Yeah, i'm enjoying my time with the Beta thus far, and almost considering actually getting the game, which is pretty huge for me. I absolutely cannot stand subscription systems as they currently operate, though, because any time i'm paying a monthly fee it makes me feel obliged to play the game. Which, when you play as many different games and jump between them as often as i do, is just not a good feeling.

I want to play your game, Square Enix, but let me do it on my own terms - a week here, a few days there, without having to pay you for the days i just feel like doing something else.

FELIPE NO
Adol
Wind of the Plains.

Member 17840

Level 9.35

Jan 2007

Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:26 AM Local time: Jan 29, 2014, 02:26 AM #48 of 58
Does anyone else on GFF play this game? I played the beta, enjoyed it but forgot about it since I was on a League of Legends (is the worst game) kick at the time, got a free month with my fancy-pants i5 processor in October, enjoyed it but forgot about it, picked it back up on a whim during the free weekend, and fell in love and bought a subscription.

I think bailing on my Gladiator in favor of an archer/bard was the secret to Actually Having Fun, since I've always hated the stress involved in tanking...also, my Elezen archer is much, much, much cuter than my Hyur gladiator ever was. Also much more hipster, since everyone either plays as a Huyr, a Lalafell, or a goddamn cat goddamn girl JESUS CHRIST TOO MUCH CATGIRL.

Pictured: bosoms. I was slightly disappointed when I hit level 30 and had to ditch the glasses and cleavage in favor of a helmet and sensible armor.

I'm Elena Mayi on the Phoenix server, if anyone happens to be on there.

Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Jan 29, 2014, 03:48 AM Local time: Jan 29, 2014, 02:48 AM #49 of 58
I'm still playing it from time to time, though i'm on the Ultros server, unfortunately. Game has gotten awful lonely since the friends i started the game with dropped out, and now that i'm at endgame stuff almost everyone i run into is an endgame person (read: min/maxer with no time for actually living in Eorzea).

My main class is a monk, though i'm building up the gladiator class and having fun with that too. It's nice to get to play a different role now and then.

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2014, 08:04 AM #50 of 58
I'm playing too, but it seems like we're all on different servers...

I just got this wicked i90 body and waist piece last night. Woo.

Most amazing jew boots

Tags
i thought ur mad on me, sori to bother you tail

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Final Fantasy XIV