Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] Mario and Luigi 3: No baby abuse this time (maybe)!

Identity Crisis
Keeping You Warm

Member 11146

Level 26.65

Aug 2006

Old Oct 9, 2008, 07:46 PM Local time: Oct 9, 2008, 05:46 PM #1 of 8
Mario and Luigi 3: No baby abuse this time (maybe)!

Originally Posted by 1up Guy
Nintendo presented a brief video demo of the game at today's Media Summit 2008 event to give fans a taste of what's in store for the next chapter in the series (tentatively entitled Mario & Luigi 3). For the most part, the third entry doesn't seem to stray far afield from the past two games -- it retains the rounded, cartoonish style that's been a series mainstay since Superstar Saga on GBA. As usual, both of the Mario Bros. are in action together, although the questionable dual-team splitscreen design of 2005 DS release Partners in Time appears to have been abandoned in favor of a more old-fashioned team-up. As in Super Mario RPG, the Mario Bros. look to be joining forces with their longtime nemesis Bowser.

"Joining forces" might be too generous a description, though. Based on the footage that's been shown of the game so far, Bowser doesn't look to be playing second fiddle but rather embarking on his own adventure (shades of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door .) He hasn't actually been shown in battle with the Bros., but instead is seen stomping about on his own (and he goes toe-to-toe with Mario in combat at least once). Rather than fight in tandem, he appears to command his loyal legions: One sequence showed him summoning a squad of Goombas to attack a foe -- and later, he apparently swallows Mario, Luigi, and the contents of Princess Peach's castle.

Mario & Luigi 3 is slated for 2009; by then, hopefully, it will have acquired an actual title...
Linky linky.

Toad heads off to fat camp.

Everyone's favorite incomprehensible villain now has his own minions bearing his likeness!

Preview Footage
(Disable the quote boxes in the YouTube video if you can. )

How exciting! I was slightly underwhelmed by the last Mario and Luigi adventure, but this seems to play more like the first Mario and Luigi. Hooray!

There also appears to be gameplay footage featuring Bowser. I haven't been able to play as Bowser in an RPG since, well, the last one (okay, Super Paper Mario was more of a platformer than an RPG). I look forward to Bowser's witty dialogue about how he's never able to defeat those pesky plumbers!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2008, 07:57 PM Local time: Oct 10, 2008, 10:57 AM #2 of 8
Looks great, as expected. I've had a lot of fun with the first two M&L games, and this looks like it'll be just as enjoyable. Witty dialogue; vivid, amusing graphics and cutscenes; and top-notch gameplay (at first I didn't like the battle system but I've warmed to it). Plus, obese toads. What more could a gamer ask for? I'll definitely be buying this whenever it's released over here.

Also, those annotations are so lame. -_____________-

Most amazing jew boots
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2009, 04:41 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2009, 02:41 PM #3 of 8
Hahaha, oh man, this game is awesome. If there was anyone here who didn't like Partners in Time, they're going to like this one.

The story so far:
An epidemic is spreading in the Kingdom, causing Toads to massively bloat. Mario and Luigi are called in to discuss how this is happening and what options are available to them. Bowser busts in, gets beaten by Mario in the obligatory training battle, then tossed far away into a forest. You then take control of Bowser (who replaces the Baby Mario Bros. for the X and Y buttons).

After you get to explore a bit and get a feel for what his abilities do, Bowser comes across a strange merchant-like person who offers up a mushroom that'll help him beat Mario. Bowser happily eats it and begins to choke, with the merchant revealing himself to be motherfuckin' Fawful, who then flies off. Bowser's mouth suddenly becomes a massive vortex, sucking in everything.

What I like is that Mario and Luigi now have two timed hits in their regular attacks. In Partners in Time, when you succeeded in a timed hit with one of the brothers, their corresponding baby would flip up and do a hit of their own. Now each brother simply does their own little backflip to do a second timed hit. Glad they decided to spruce it up a bit.

Look forward to this one, people.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:40 PM Local time: Feb 23, 2009, 10:40 AM #4 of 8
Jesus, this game keeps getting better. I just fought a battle that was between

Spoiler:
Giant Bowser and Bowser's Keep

where I had to turn the DS sideways and do the fight with some tastefully done stylus controls.

It just highlights how humorous and interesting the game gets while playing as the Mario and Luigi going throughout Bowser's body. Oftentimes you'll need to augment Bowser's abilities to get through a puzzle he's in the middle of, which most of the time means hammering little balls of electricity at his biceps to temporarily strengthen him. However, I've now given him one new, permanent ability (dash-punch) that destroys stronger materials, and then also greatly increased his size for that boss fight I just mentioned by doing a fairly entertaining shooting minigame.

As long as this game doesn't suddenly crash into shittiness, this is probably going to be my favorite of any Mario RPG. This says a lot, as I'm an avid Paper Mario fan.

Also, here's the catchy boss fight theme I recorded yesterday:

Boss Battle.mp3

Most amazing jew boots
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:53 AM Local time: Jun 2, 2009, 09:53 AM #5 of 8
So, this game was finally announced for North America, titled --I shit you not-- Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

I still don't know if that's terrible or hilarious.

Additional Spam:
After some thought, I've decided that I would've preferred Mario and Luigi's Inside Job.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Jun 2, 2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Celisasu
Tattered Wings

Member 8011

Level 9.35

Jun 2006

Old Sep 17, 2009, 04:57 PM Local time: Sep 17, 2009, 01:57 PM #6 of 8
I bought this two days ago. Haven't played much of it yet(too many games came out at once and some just have priority over Mario&Luigi) but what I have done so far has been fun. It plays a lot like the previous Mario&Luigi games in that combat is done via timed moves and knowing when to use a certain attack and when not to(jumping on spinies=bad for example). The new villian is Fawful, a mad scientist who makes almost no sense when he talks. Powers so far are jumping, a hammer for Mario so he can hit things, and a hammer for Luigi so he can hit Mario so Mario can go into small places. Bowser has a punch and a vacuum(forces enemies into fighting Mario and Luigi instead) so far and we'll eventually reignite his flame. So far I'm having fun but I'm not amazed by it. This might change but I suspect it'll fall under very good but not good enough for me to replay when I'm done.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 17, 2009, 05:46 PM Local time: Sep 17, 2009, 03:46 PM #7 of 8
Bought it today. Will post impressions later.

FELIPE NO
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2009, 03:39 PM Local time: Sep 20, 2009, 01:39 PM #8 of 8
I didn't jump right on it since I'd played the shit out of the import, but I have it now and it's still as good as I remember. The writing is, as usual, very good.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] Mario and Luigi 3: No baby abuse this time (maybe)!