Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Favorite Horror Movie

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:38 PM Local time: Jul 27, 2006, 06:38 PM #1 of 39
Smile Favorite Horror Movie

So let's talk about Horror movies. What's your favorite horror movie. Feel free to name a modern one and a classic.

As for the classic, I have to say that The Shining is still a milestone in horror movie hitory. I don't think it's the best horror movie in history, but definitely an important one. Pretty scary for its time

As for a modern one, have you seen "The Descent" yet? No? The do me ONE favor and go watch it. If you can, go to the theatre. This movie is purely awesome. When my friends were like "let's go watch this one" I was like "uhh okay this is gonna be another Final Destination shit". But I was wrong, so extremely wrong. This has to be one of the best horror movies ever. It has its very scary moments and it has style. You seriously don't want to compare this one with the usual mainstream wannabe-horror shit. The imdb.com rating is 7.6/10, which is extremely good for a horror movie!

The fact that you (almost) only see girls in this movie is a nice attention-getter, too ^^

Top 50 Horror Movies according to imdb.com

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 02:27 PM #2 of 39
Well as you can tell my favorite horror franchise is A Nightmare On Elm Street, and yes I love them all even the ones people think stink hehe. I like pretty much all horror movies really from jason to chucky even some leperchaun. The only horror movies I do hate are the new PG-13 horror movies like When a Stranger Calls because a horror movie should NEVER be PG-13 it's a fucking disgrace. Anyway I am happy with the current rated-r flicks such as Hills Have Eyes, High Tension, Saw, and a few others.

Double Post:
Ah yes the descent that does look pretty awesome, but thats not out yet I thought? If it is im leaving now to go see it =p

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Freddy Krueger; Jul 27, 2006 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Megavolt
Seer

Member 1731

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 04:40 PM Local time: Jul 27, 2006, 03:40 PM #3 of 39
How is Requiem for a Dream a horror movie?

I guess my favorite would probably be Alien. Does Jacob's Ladder count? That one is cool. I also like In the Mouth of Madness and Event Horizon. Oh yeah, and Flowers in the Attic. Louise Fletcher...yikes.

Favorite modern? I haven't seen many, but I might go with Silent Hill. It was surprisingly good. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for the game-related stuff. Not to mention Alice Kridge and Sean Bean. They both seem so underrated.

How ya doing, buddy?
~MV
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:30 PM #4 of 39
I'm really a wimp when it comes to horror movies.

I was about 6 years old when I saw Poltergeist 2/3 on TV, and I was absolutely terrified that:
- the two people pushed the guy down the elevator shaft, then ripped their own faces off
- the fat lady was being sucked in by something while trying to give an amulet to someone
Then I cried for a very long time the next day, when I remembered that stuff.

Last year I saw Poltergeist I, and I liked it because it wasn't very scary in retrospect. I was engaged watching it, and the "twist" at the end about why the house was haunted, even though I read the spoiler for it.

I also liked watching Final Destination 3 a couple of days ago, for the ridiculously unlikely chain reactions throughout the whole movie. I wonder if the first two were like that.

My real favourites though (I don't know if they count more as thrillers) are Constantine and Bless the Child because of all the religious supernatural content. Constantine even more so.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:53 PM #5 of 39
Originally Posted by Megavolt
How is Requiem for a Dream a horror movie?

I guess my favorite would probably be Alien. Does Jacob's Ladder count? That one is cool. I also like In the Mouth of Madness and Event Horizon. Oh yeah, and Flowers in the Attic. Louise Fletcher...yikes.

Favorite modern? I haven't seen many, but I might go with Silent Hill. It was surprisingly good. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for the game-related stuff. Not to mention Alice Kridge and Sean Bean. They both seem so underrated.
Hahah everyone I show In the Mouth of Madness too is like "WTF" it's a really good movie. Jacob's Ladder was cool too and I can see Alien being someones favorite.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Megavolt
Seer

Member 1731

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 08:51 PM Local time: Jul 27, 2006, 07:51 PM #6 of 39
My sister likes In the Mouth of Madness as well and I haven't really talked to anyone else about it. I guess it could be hard to follow at some points, but yeah, I like the ambitious nature of it, and Sam Neill is always a plus. As for Alien, I like the whole sci-fi element and, well, "Alien" atmosphere of it. It's an easy pick though I honestly didn't give it much thought. I don't consider myself a truly hardcore fan of horror movies. There are some highly regarded movies in the genre that I haven't seen yet, like The Shining and The Exorcist. I guess I should hop to it, though I must admit that I worry a little about being more affected by a scary movie than I want to be. As lame as this might sound, I actually found myself thinking about the little girl from the The Ring for a few days after watching it, despite the fact that I didn't find the actual movie to be scary. Needless to say, those nights waiting for my TV to turn on by itself weren't very pleasant. Is the Exorcist really that scary? Maybe if I just think of Repossessed while I'm watching it?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
~MV
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 09:26 PM Local time: Jul 27, 2006, 09:26 PM #7 of 39
Evil Dead I & II. Period. The only two horror movies that ever really got to me. Most likely because the evil's power is never really shown to its full extent. It always pulls out something new and creepy, unlike Friday the 13th where it's someone just killing people. In Evil Dead, it seemed the evil was almost hell-bent on making Ash go insane beyond a point. Playing with it's food, it seemed. Just plain twisted.

How would you like to be put in charge of dismembering your girlfriend's corpse? Oof. Poor Ash

FELIPE NO
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Vestin
Good Chocobo

Member 8812

Level 17.17

Jun 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 09:40 PM Local time: Jul 27, 2006, 06:40 PM #8 of 39
Anything by Lucio Fulci, is good.

The more modern movies though:
I was very impressed by The Hills Have Eyes (ESPECIALLY this movie), and Saw II. The first Saw, was okay.

The BEST horror movie in my opinion, would have to be Cannibal Holocaust, by Ruggero Deodato.

The scariest, would have to be In the Mouth of Madness. To this DAY I've never been able to finish this film, either because I fell asleep, got too scared (when I was younger), or left because I'd seen the beginning like five times, and then came back when it was over.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 09:47 PM Local time: Jul 27, 2006, 06:47 PM #9 of 39
I think my favorite horror movie is the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, with the first Nightmare on Elm Street a very close 2nd. Freddy Krueger is badass, but he's not very believable. Leatherface on the other hand, could very well be a real person. The scene near the end when the girl was running with the crippled guy through the woods in the dark with Leatherface chasing them, chainsaw roaring, is just about the scariest thing I've ever seen. And the infamous dinner scene... Disturbing shit.

As for modern horror movies, most of them suck nowadays, but I'll agree with Megavolt and go with Silent Hill. There was just a lot of unnerving stuff in it. Like the ember babies in the start and the scene where Rose has to take that object out of the Janitor's mouth.

Most amazing jew boots
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:28 PM #10 of 39
I'll agree with some of the others mentioned like Silent Hill, Evil Dead, Alien, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Shining, Jacob's Ladder. And now it's even more painfully obvious that I need to see In The Mouth Of Madness.

Others that don't get enough attention are Dagon, Wolf Creek (especially if you liked TCM), Nosferatu, In The Shadow Of The Vampire, and Pitch Black.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:51 PM Local time: Jul 27, 2006, 08:51 PM #11 of 39
I'm suprised no one has mentioned The Thing, considering its massive following. I originally saw it expecting a comic book action movie (because John Carpenter's name was on it) but even though it wasn't I was not disappointed. Plus it inspired (aka provided ripoff material for) Resident Evil 4, which is quite an accomplishment.

I also enjoyed Evil Dead 2 (haven't seen the first one), Dawn of the Dead, and the Alien series.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Amanda
Dive into the Heart

Member 716

Level 11.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:16 AM Local time: Jul 28, 2006, 02:46 AM #12 of 39
Ginger Snaps 2 is one of my favourite movies, period. Mixed-genre horror, I guess. It's both a great werewolf movie AND has wonderful story and characters. The third movie was kinda lame, but the first two are definitely worth checking out if you like comedy-horror that has surprisingly good plot and character development.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like an awful lot of horror movies in the last few years have been remakes, stupid crap like "When a Stranger Calls" and "Cursed", or movies that rely on graphic torture and high body counts for their horror. (Maybe there's some good movies among the gore-fests, but they're just not my thing.) It wouldn't be so bad if the horror movies that had every reason to be good weren't turning out to be such frequent disappointments. The Silent Hill movie is case in point. (How could a movie with such detailed, scary settings, good individual moments, and great monster design have such an atrociously stupid plot, horrible script, and so many painfully annoying characters? Why, movie, WHY?)

The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.

Last edited by Amanda; Jul 28, 2006 at 12:20 AM.
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 01:33 AM Local time: Jul 27, 2006, 11:33 PM #13 of 39
Osnap. The Poltergeist series definitely freaked me out as a kid. So did Gremlins. As for a modern horror movie, The Eye is definitely one of my favorites.

I was speaking idiomatically.
waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 01:40 AM Local time: Jul 28, 2006, 12:40 AM #14 of 39
Although it's really more of a comedy than a horror film, one of my favorites is The Abominable Dr. Phibes. Vincent Price is absolutely wonderful as always in it. The scene where he plays his ominous looking organ stands out in my memory.

Faust 72
Blue Fedora, Orange Socks!!

Member 1129

Level 7.59

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 01:46 AM #15 of 39
Does Eraserhead consider horror?

FELIPE NO
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes."
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 01:53 AM Local time: Jul 28, 2006, 12:53 AM #16 of 39
Originally Posted by Faust 72
Does Eraserhead consider horror?
Many people categorize it as horror film but I think it's more of a dark comedy than anything else. Though, that's a movie which is certainly open to different interpretations.

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 01:58 AM Local time: Jul 28, 2006, 07:58 AM #17 of 39
Originally Posted by Prosthetic
Anything by Lucio Fulci, is good.
Haha yes, New York Ripper was fucking awesome.

Originally Posted by Prosthetic
I was very impressed by The Hills Have Eyes (ESPECIALLY this movie),
The original one or the remake by Alexandre Aja? I watched the remake a couple of days ago and I don't think it was too good

Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 02:44 AM #18 of 39
The remake was better then Wes's version IMO.

How ya doing, buddy?
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 03:39 AM Local time: Jul 28, 2006, 10:39 AM #19 of 39
It's either The Fly (not exactly horror, though) or Scanners. I'm more on the latter's side nowadays, since it seems to have it all together better. Just plain disturbing, and who could not like a parody of 1984.

There's just something about David Cronenberg.

Originally Posted by Musharraf
As for a modern one, have you seen "The Descent" yet? No? The do me ONE favor and go watch it. If you can, go to the theatre. This movie is purely awesome. When my friends were like "let's go watch this one" I was like "uhh okay this is gonna be another Final Destination shit". But I was wrong, so extremely wrong. This has to be one of the best horror movies ever. It has its very scary moments and it has style. You seriously don't want to compare this one with the usual mainstream wannabe-horror shit. The imdb.com rating is 7.6/10, which is extremely good for a horror movie!
I've seen The Descent. It's more than decent, I'll admit, the tension is constant, but horrible actors ruin it. An entertaining watch anyway, and deeply haunting in all its simplicity.

Also, there's something special about Deathwatch. It's like a "prequel" to Jacob's Ladder, though completely different. Tells a story about WWI drenches which seem to be haunted by something otherwordly.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Put Balls; Jul 28, 2006 at 03:46 AM.
MagicalVacation
I'm drunk on love... And beer.

Member 1330

Level 11.42

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 05:43 AM Local time: Jul 28, 2006, 11:43 AM #20 of 39
Classic: The Shining, I saw it more than ten years after it orginally came out and it still managed to captivate and scare me.

Modern: Dawn Of The Dead. It's just so real and honest, and the zombies ran, I'd never seen a movie with zombies that could actually run faster than some of the humans.

Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 02:30 PM #21 of 39
Yes I love The Fly with Goldblum, and I really likd Dawn of the Dead remake too I don't see why some people hate it. It was gory, gritty, and had Ving Rhames. Who cares if the zombies could run heheh.

How ya doing, buddy?
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 03:55 PM Local time: Jul 28, 2006, 01:55 PM #22 of 39
The Exorcist is my favorite horror movie. Just a great movie that actually made me scared. The Dead series are also my favorites as well. You can't beat zombies.

MagicalVacation

Member 1330

Level 11.42

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 04:27 PM Local time: Jul 28, 2006, 10:27 PM #23 of 39
You have to shoot them in the head :-D

FELIPE NO
Vestin
Good Chocobo

Member 8812

Level 17.17

Jun 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 04:31 PM Local time: Jul 28, 2006, 01:31 PM #24 of 39
Originally Posted by Musharraf
original one or the remake by Alexandre Aja? I watched the remake a couple of days ago and I don't think it was too good
I don't know, yet. I liked the remake tons, but I haven't got around to seeing the original yet, since the local video store only carries the VHS version and I don't even have a VHS player anymore. One way or another, I'm going to figure this out. Maybe I'll be able to check it out today.

Originally Posted by MagicalVacation
Modern: Dawn Of The Dead. It's just so real and honest, and the zombies ran, I'd never seen a movie with zombies that could actually run faster than some of the humans.
This was one aspect that I didn't like about it. Zombies shouldn't be able to run. It just doesn't make sense, and they're terrifying enough even if they have to move slow. Their sheer numbers were supposed to be what makes up for their lack of speed and genius. I actually enjoyed the movie though, despite my qualms about it.

Land of the dead, however, I found to be a God-awful movie, and a disgrace to zombie movies, PERIOD.

Last edited by Vestin; Jul 28, 2006 at 04:35 PM.
MagicalVacation

Member 1330

Level 11.42

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 04:49 PM Local time: Jul 28, 2006, 10:49 PM #25 of 39
Ah well, I disagree, zombies that just move slow aren't scary at all, you can just push them over or walk around them. But zombies that run after you :-D That's terrifying :-D

If I had to choose between being surrounded by a thousand really slow zombies, or ten really fast ones, I'd choose the thousand slow ones :-s

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Favorite Horror Movie