Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Smash Bros. Brawl
Closed Thread

Vulpes_Callidus
Honor of Blight

Member 946

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 04:38 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 02:38 AM #1 of 1323
I read through the ENTIRE thread just to make sure I wouldn't be repeating anything people have said. I advise anybody who's thinking about posting, to do the same please, for everybody's sake.

I'm going to try to address a few things here...

Originally Posted by PsychoJosh
Sigh. The biggest problem I have with fan speculation for SSB is that they always come up with the most absolutely retarded and preposterous suggestions for characters one could possibly think of.

"HURR HEY YOU KNOW WHO'D BE COOL IN THE NEXT SMASH BROTHERS? GOKU, HE WOULD KICK EVERYONE'S ASSES, THAT WOULD BE TOTALLY AWESOME. NINTENDO NEEDS TO PUT IN BANJO-KAZOOIE AND STEWIE GRIFFIN TOO, THAT WOULD BE COOL, ALSO THEY SHOULD PUT IN THAT GIRL FROM DRILL DOZER AND (obscure enemy from random video game) AND DARTH VADER SHOULD BE IN IT, OOH AND ROBERT DOWNEY JR. COULD ALSO BE IN THE GAME AND HE LIKE ATTACKS WITH HEROIN NEEDLES LOL. OH AND ALSO SEPHIROTH"

Oh, my head... stop being stupid and make realistic suggestions, for christ's sake.
Seriously. You get this ANYWHERE Smash shows up. I want to reiterrate what Sakurai said in his most recent interview:

"Right now Snake is the only third-party character that has been confirmed for Super Smash Bros., but I think because we've announced Snake is in Super Smash Bros. that might open up opportunities for other third-party characters to also be included.

But more than anything it's not just about having a character, but about having a character that's going to be fun to have in there."

Be realistic guys. Please. I really doubt Cloud and Sephiroth's appearance is ANYWHERE near likely. I mean, think about if they actually got into the game. Naturally, you'd wonder why they were there, because they have NEVER been in anything Nintendo. As a result, you'd think they put them in just because of fan-base attraction and popularity. Basically, Nintendo will have sold out. I, for one, would never want to see Nintendo stoop to such levels.

Originally Posted by Freelance Wolf
I don't get why people would not want so and so character to be in a fighting game. If you don't think this guy should be in it, then just don't use or unlock that character...should be a no-brainer.
Let's replace some of your words with others, since it follows the same basic sentence structure:

"I don't get why people complain about killing. If you don't think people should kill, just don't do it...should be a no-brainer."

You see, you can't stop people from being concerned about Nintendo's franchise loyalty as far as who they include in the game. Because they SHOULD be concerned. They're concerned because it destroys the PRINCIPLE of the inclusion of playable third party characters, not because they don't want to play them.

In other news, GODMOTHERFUCKING DAMNIT, Nintendo Wii Wifi is going to be the SAME AS DS!!!!! Hello Friend codes! ARGHGHGHHG!!! After the DS' online configuration, I was going to build an online riot so as to avoid the same setup appear on the Nintendo Wii. I calmed down and thought better of it, but Nintendo had the AUDACITY to actually do it! Do they not realize how much this will kill hardcore gaming competition?! Complaints about the DS wifi infrastructure have been at a low so far because of a lack of serious competetive games (though there have been cry outs for change as far as Prime Hunters goes), but Smash Brothers and Halo are arguably THE MOST competetive games on the market (why do you think MLG enlists specifically for these games?) and to limit the competetive factor with Smash, you only get one other game, Halo. I don't generally agree with Bozon on too many things, but fate has it, he's an IGN editor and I'm going to quote him on two things I did happen to agree with him on:

"-Own the Online. After saying they wouldn’t go online until it was free and easy to the consumer… they have to make it free and easy to the consumer. No more 1 V 1 Metroid battles. No more lag issues. If people have to chose between a free service that sucks and a $60 Live membership that is amazing (hey, it’s 2nd generation… Xbox is learning the dance) most of the gamers will ultimately prefer the better service despite the cost. Make it free, but make it WORTH being free."

"-Community. No more friend codes. No more restrictions. We need true community. We can see Nintendo wants to make it a comfortable experience for new gamers, but they have to remember there are those that NEED strong community as much as others need a less intimidating atmosphere."

Wii NEED COMMUNITY!

Oh and Hazelguy, your avatar is fucking SWEET.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Vulpes_Callidus
Honor of Blight

Member 946

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 04:58 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 02:58 AM #2 of 1323

Are you aware of the way Smash is played competetively at the professional level? Having friend codes would SEVERELY limit the ability to set up matches with even sub-par professionals. I mean seriously, imagine Ken and how many friend requests he's going to get. Like a billion. How many do you think he's going to actually pay attention to? Probably close to nil, unless he knows you PERSONALLY. That's not cool.

And on a side note, just because I'm not a person's friend NOW doesn't mean I can't BECOME friends with them over the internet. The way the wifi is currently set up, I wouldn't be able to do that.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Vulpes_Callidus
Honor of Blight

Member 946

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 05:03 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 03:03 AM #3 of 1323
You know, I was sure somebody would say that. People can get water from well's. You can go to the restroom in the outhouse. So then, why do people have bathrooms?

Because there are better and more efficient ways of doing things.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Vulpes_Callidus
Honor of Blight

Member 946

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 05:23 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 03:23 AM #4 of 1323
Ken is the undisputed champion of Melee professional play, save for the recent fall to PCchris in the recent MLG tournament. There's a lot of rivalry and competition revolving around Smash, just look at the Smashboards. I'm not personally involved in the whole professional Smash universe, but you know, just the idea of getting your name out there because your good at something (and gaming, no less!), isn't that intriguing?

Edit: NovaX, you act like I'm asking for something unreasonable. Do you seriously think that asking for this is unreasonable?

I'm going to get it. I'm going to play it. And if it's enjoyable, I'm going to enjoy it. I'm not going to let the lack of online capability get in the way of that. But when you see potential, don't you reach out and grab it? Or do you let it slide? I think Nintendo has a lot of potential here, and it would be pity to see it get wasted.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Vulpes_Callidus; May 12, 2006 at 06:35 AM.
Vulpes_Callidus
Honor of Blight

Member 946

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 05:40 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 03:40 AM #5 of 1323
It's just you.

Haha, no, I kid.

More seriously, though, there have been countless numbers of polls all across the internet concerning the dissatisfaction regarding the DS wifi setup, and almost all of them come to one consensus: The Online is good so far, but it can be better. When asked if they still wanted friend codes, most people said no. Granted, people who are on the internet aren't exactly the people that Nintendo is targeting, since that would represent the more "hardcore" gamers and not grandma and grandpa, but in response I'm going to quote Bozon again:

Originally Posted by Mark Bozon
"-Community. No more friend codes. No more restrictions. We need true community. We can see Nintendo wants to make it a comfortable experience for new gamers, but they have to remember there are those that NEED strong community as much as others need a less intimidating atmosphere."
And in reality, you know what? I can be ok with Friend codes. Just make the Friend Code system more FRIENDLY!!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Vulpes_Callidus
Honor of Blight

Member 946

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 06:10 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 04:10 AM #6 of 1323
Well, one thing is that the ease of an online interface isn't just applicable to Pro players, it applies to everyone, and in particular, the exact type of people that Nintendo is trying to target. When someone who knows very little about computers wants to play against some friends, do you think they'll get on their favorite forum and post their friend code there? Probably not. Likely, they want to be able to, say, have something recognizable (like a gamertag) that they can send a friend request to and then set up a game in the lobby. It has to be that simple, or else casual players won't want to play their favorite game online, because I know I watch my parents struggle when they want to do anything online, because the internet can get real complex to someone who isn't very well acquainted with it. And that has to deal with Community, like I mentioned earlier.

But your right, Grun-1, what you said added a lot of perspective as far as development issues. I'm giving a shout out to you firstly, because you deserve it, and secondly, because nobody on these boards ever seems to acknowledge what other people have said, unless they have direct conflict with something they said, making conversations almost always argumentative by nature. And I'm not just referencing this conversation.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Vulpes_Callidus
Honor of Blight

Member 946

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 07:16 PM Local time: May 12, 2006, 05:16 PM #7 of 1323
I personally would like to do away with master hand altogether. As Sakurai said, it should be fun, and he wants to add in fun, weird things in it, but in reality, I think the presence of Master hand just hinders the presentation of Smash Brothers.

But I don't know, maybe people like master hand. I personally would like the series to have at least a more serious presentation. I mean, the more crazy weird things you put in it, the more you alienate less core people. It's like having one big inside joke. I mean, I would love to see the Smash franchise become a more recognized name among the more casual players.

Hopefully they can find a balance to satisfy both new and returning players. In the end, what's most important is that it's fun, after all.

FELIPE NO
Vulpes_Callidus
Honor of Blight

Member 946

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 08:16 PM Local time: May 12, 2006, 06:16 PM #8 of 1323
Well, I did state that my personal preference was that Smash would take itself a bit more seriously, if at least for the new, more casual players. A big, giant hand, I think, just doesn't fit into that whole equation.

I mean, it's a big hand, and it looks like mario's glove. Who here wouldn't say that the first Smash wasn't cartoony?

Pity, you didn't see post #290 on page 12, HazelGuy.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Vulpes_Callidus; May 13, 2006 at 07:38 AM.
Vulpes_Callidus
Honor of Blight

Member 946

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 09:41 PM Local time: May 12, 2006, 07:41 PM #9 of 1323
I didn't say eliminate the quirkiness.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Smash Bros. Brawl