Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Smash Bros. Brawl
Closed Thread

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2006, 05:51 PM Local time: May 11, 2006, 03:51 PM #1 of 1323
This is total bullshit. Anyone who says Snake is a nintendo character is a fucking idiot, his debut was on the MSX and the mahority of his games have been on Sony consoles. Yes, he was on two games, one of which was a remake of a PSX game, but that doesn't make him any more of a character than Sonic the hedgehog or Megaman. This isn't a game about characters from third party Nintendo games beating the shit out of each other, its about first party (HAL, EAD, Intelligent Systems, Gamefreak) nintendo characters beating the shit out of each other.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2006, 06:10 PM Local time: May 11, 2006, 04:10 PM #2 of 1323
I agree that Snake is a cool character, but it's about Nintendo history as much as it is about gameplay. I don't think Snake fits in with that history.

By the way, if anyone wants to suggest characters on the Japanese site, I've taken a screen shot of the URL and the pull menu option for characters for you to match up.To suggest music, pick the third option. You might want to write it in Japanese or at least their Japanese names in english if you have any hopes of them listening to you.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Attached Images
File Type: png suggest.png (64.7 KB, 46 views)
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2006, 06:19 PM Local time: May 11, 2006, 04:19 PM #3 of 1323
methinks Nintendo doesn't want to throw away their weak relationship with Konami by turning him down. Hideo Kojima has been whoring Snake out on the PS2 as well, in Ape Escape 3 there's a massive Konami-developed minigame included where you play as a monkey snake.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by kuttlas; May 11, 2006 at 06:22 PM.
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2006, 06:27 PM Local time: May 11, 2006, 04:27 PM #4 of 1323
Originally Posted by Free.User
You know who would be even better? REGGIE!
Here's my ideas for characters:

Mashman (from action 52, he's been in just as many nintendo games as snake, why not?)
a deck of nintendo hanafuda cards
a massive animate swarm of wiimotes

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2006, 06:42 PM Local time: May 11, 2006, 04:42 PM #5 of 1323
This is one of the most shocking things I've heard since Nintendo selling Rare...

I've submitted the poll, Here's my final list, in english:

Sonic the hedgehog
Sonic the hedgehog
Sonic the hedgehog
Shigeru Miyamoto
Diddy Kong
Meowth
Viewtiful Joe
Bomberman
Rockman

I was speaking idiomatically.
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2006, 07:09 PM Local time: May 11, 2006, 05:09 PM #6 of 1323
I don't think so...Nintendo and Rare aren't friendly, whereas Nintendo and Konami are. In an ideal world, there Nintendo, Sony, Sega, Namco, Konami, etc. Would all contribute 10 characters to make it more of a universal thing (since if they include snake and not sonic there will be hell to pay).

Since Nintendo did Kojima a favor, could this mean a wii-exclusive MGS5? No, just wanted to get your hopes up, nintendo fanboys.

Since they introduced Solid Snake, maybe they should include other snakes...like Snake Plissken, Snake Rattle N' Roll, Snake Man, Snake (of the Simposns), Snake (along with Bacon), those snakes from Zelda 3...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by kuttlas; May 11, 2006 at 07:11 PM.
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 06:59 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 04:59 AM #7 of 1323
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
There's a good idea, how about someone translates some popular character names in katakana, so we could submit it?
Bomberman ボンバーマン
Daisy デイジ
Megaman ロックマン
Meowth ニャース
Phoenix Wright 成歩堂 龍一
Raichu ライチュウ
Shigeru Miyamoto 宮本茂
Toad キノピオ
Toadette キノピコ
Viewtiful Joe ビューティフル ジョー
Waluigi ワルイージ

Sorry fanboys, there's not a snowball's chance in hell of Cloud making the lineup (although I would love to beat the shit out of him)

FELIPE NO
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 12:09 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 10:09 PM #8 of 1323
Exactly, choir songs like that (see: John Williams bullshit) never have lyrics, just totally random syllables.

Now where has everyone been getting the "Hideo begged Nintendo for including Snake" story from?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 11:11 AM Local time: May 13, 2006, 09:11 AM #9 of 1323
Originally Posted by Blue_Kirby2
Maybe this means we can see Kirby's cook ability in SSBB?
That is EXACTLY what it means.
Originally Posted by Rayne
Because.... Snake..... He's kinda out there. If you're going out that far might as well bring some fantasy with you.
Snake is basically the closest thing Konami's got as a mascot. I don't see how he can be more "out there" than ice climbers, ness, or any of the other losers from SSBM. Or Cloud for that matter, who appeared in one game and a movie. Maybe you're a little biased as a squenix fan (as I'm guessing from your avatar) but MGS is very mainstream.

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 08:57 PM Local time: May 13, 2006, 06:57 PM #10 of 1323
Originally Posted by sprouticus
Based solely on the trailer, my guess is that Zero Samus is something of a Zelda/Sheik character. You can swap between them at any time after choosing regular Samus via a special move.
I don't think so, first of all what move would you use since the entire controller already does something. And Zero suit Samus was presented as a newcomer.
Originally Posted by sprouticus
I wouldn't mind having multiple characters like that. Waluigi/Wario would be a nice team, Megaman X and Zero, etc.
Well, they're not the same person so I think the idea would be pretty pointless for just a few characters, but this made me think: why not have a special move that switches you with another character, regardless of who they are? That way you could use your favorite 2 characters, and switch them up every once and a while to change your fighting style or just to break the monotony of playing a huge quest as one character. There is no select button on the GCN/Wii controller, why not add one, and when pressing it, you could switch them out. You could use Zelda/Sheik's extra B + \/ attack for Din's Fire or something.

Edit:

Originally Posted by immp
If they go with anything from Namco...I think it would have to be the Prince from katamari damacy.
No no no and no. This is almost as dumb as Banjo, Cloud, Spyro, etc. The Prince has never been in a game on a Nintendo console, and I don't think Nintendo would be willing to add him even if he was. He's one centimeter tall, his limbs are short and skinny, and he as no weapons or moves outside of rollling around a giant ball of shit. This doesn't translate well into a fighting game against armed and (mostly) humanoid opponents with a large arsenal of special attacks.

Last edited by kuttlas; May 13, 2006 at 09:03 PM.
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 10:19 PM Local time: May 13, 2006, 08:19 PM #11 of 1323
The stage sounds good to me, I just don't think the prince would work as a fighter since he really doesn't do much. Think of Marth, he's basically just a dude with a sword, and most people don't like him because of that. He has no special moves in his game other than swing your sword, so Nintendo had to make up a whole bunch of variatiuons of swinging a sword to give him a full moveset. The prince doesn't fight at all, they would have to turn rolling a ball around into an entire set of attacks, and rolling things into a ball is totally different than just whacking or shooting each other (which all the other fighters do), and I just don't see how the two could mix very well. But, if they did include the prince as a fighter, I have faith that they'd somehow manage to meld lump rolling with beating each other up.

I don't have anything against Katamari getting a Nintendo release (I'm sure it would be greatly welcome on the DS) but at this point (with 0 games) I sincerely doubt that it would find its way onto SSBB. If any Namco character made its way into the game, I think it'd be Pac-Man or Klonoa.
Originally Posted by Rayne
Dead or alive anyone? Team combo attacks would be Excellent.
Mario holds jigglypuff while Link (In the air) repeadetly throws bombs down. Jigglypuff gets thrown in the air and then they do a super move.
Yup. I'm a genuis
This would be good, but I'd like something better than "you hold them down and I'll hit them".

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 10:48 PM Local time: May 13, 2006, 08:48 PM #12 of 1323
Pac man could use his moves from the Pacman World series. He could also throw pellets or punch people I guess. He'd probably only be there to give Namco a spot on the roster. Klonoa would work, with his magical bracelet of grabbing stuff.

Also, I've seen a few rumors around the internet that in SSBM Nintendo wanted to include Sonic the Hedgehog but Sega denied it. Is this true?

On an unrelated note, I was playing SSB today and I noticed Mario's alternate colors were switched blue and red, Wario's colors, and Waluigi's colors. Didn't that game come out before Waluig's debut? (one of the Mario Party games? I'm not sure)

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 03:41 PM Local time: May 14, 2006, 01:41 PM #13 of 1323
Don't get me wrong, I love Marth, he's my favorite character to use. But most of my friends hate him, they say he's like a crappy version of Link.

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 07:27 PM Local time: May 15, 2006, 05:27 PM #14 of 1323
I just realized this now, but a halberd stage probably means an arrangement of the halberd theme from Kirby Super Star (my favorite song in the Kirby series). They better release an OST this time around.

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2006, 05:28 PM Local time: May 17, 2006, 03:28 PM #15 of 1323
The difference between adding multiple Mario characters is that Mario, Peach, Bowser, and Yoshi all play differently. The difference between Marth and Roy is almost neglegible. The presence of a character should be determined by "Would it be cool to play as this character" and "Would they offer a different gameplay experience from character X" not "We already have a Pokemon so lets add more fire emblem characters". Personally, I thought Ganondorf, Young Link, Roy, Dr. Mario, Falco, etc. Were totally useless as there were other characters who were almost the same.

FELIPE NO
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 12:27 AM Local time: May 17, 2006, 10:27 PM #16 of 1323
Originally Posted by The_Griffin
Here's an idea: Instead of having him cycle, he could only have one move, his recovery. The B, Down+B, and Smash+B would correspond with the three masks.

In his forms, he would have two moves, the one you used to switch him to a specific form, and his recovery. Each would have unique A attacks.

I like it. =D
I don't, how about making his taunts into morphs. No point in wasting buttons. Better yet, each character can morph into any other character with a taunt. Anyway, I doubt they'll include a mask-carrying YL, if they would have done that at all it would have been for SSBM when the game was new. Young Link will probably be the WW/Minish Link, since he's the youngest and looks the most different from TP Adult Link.

Originally Posted by PsychoJosh
How come we haven't started talking about stages yet? Let's talk stages, and don't forget that they need hazards among other things to make them unique.
I sure hope the new stages are batter than the ones they showed in the trailer. Too many of them from SSBM were variations on "platform with 1 or 2 other platforms floating overhead"

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 08:33 PM Local time: May 18, 2006, 06:33 PM #17 of 1323
Yes, there is no reason to have 2 jump buttons. Its a waste of a move.

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 02:32 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 12:32 PM #18 of 1323
Originally Posted by Qwarky
Darn, still no confirmation on whether suitless Samus replaces regular.

Everyone says that would be stupid, but it's not like they haven't done silly things before and there's already a lot of characters
OK here's confirmation:

They will not replace regular Samus with Zero Suit Samus. That would be stupid. Source: Me.

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 04:13 AM Local time: May 21, 2006, 02:13 AM #19 of 1323
Edit: Point taken. I don't want to hear it.

Last edited by kuttlas; May 21, 2006 at 03:33 PM.
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 05:56 AM Local time: May 21, 2006, 03:56 AM #20 of 1323
Nevermind then, I never saw that ending. I don't have as much respect for the developers now that I know that.
Originally Posted by Deguello
But your hatred of Startropics renders your opinion null. Too bad.
God, can't you take a joke? Would I have used Mike Jones as an example of a good SSB character if I hated him so much?

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 11:59 PM Local time: May 21, 2006, 09:59 PM #21 of 1323
Originally Posted by RABicle
Letse here.
Zelda/Sheik
Captain Falcon
Fox Mcloud
Falco Lombardi
and Peach
All had zero attacks going into Smash Brothers.
True, I’ll give you those, but I didn't mean Samus specifically, I meant all characters they had to do that with.

Furthmore you could argue that.
Dr. Mario
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Ice Climbers
Bowser
Yoshi
Marth
and Roy
Had near complete movelists written. Wow what had Donkey Kong done previously? Smacked the ground? Ok thats ONE move. Bowser? I guess he breathed fire. Marth had a sword.
Dr. Mario is Mario with pills. Luigi is green Mario. Donkey Kong’s special attacks were fabricated, but it’s not the same as Zero Suit Samus. Now, if they gave Donkey Kong an axe, then it would be the same situation. Ice Climbers had no business being playable characters at that point. All of Bowser’s attacks are from the games – fire breathing, scratching, ass slam (which he does in SMB3). Yoshi’s attacks are all from Yoshi’s story and Yoshi’s Island. Marth and Roy I won’t argue with, but at least they didn’t give them something unrelated.
Nevermind that Gannondorfs was just Capt. Falcon's and didn't reflect him from the games at all. Ignore that Ness had to STEAL moves from other characters.
But Ganondorf still had moves from the game he could have used. Whereas Zero Suit Samus gets an entirely new weapon (whip sword laser thing) to make up for the fact that there were no moves to begin with. Had the programmers not been lazy they could have given him a move set reflecting the abilities used in Ocarina of Time. They cannot do this with ZS Samus since there's nothing to base her move set off of. I never played Earthbound but I assumed that all of the abilities were based on the ones he uses in the game.
Your argument that a whole new movelist has to be made is poor. A better argument against Zero Suit Samus is that she is pissweak and should be an alternate costume.
I think Pikachu is dumb, but he’s still valid. I think it’s annoying that they did it with Ganondorf, Zelda, Fox, et. al. Perhaps move set wasn’t the right word, what I should have said was “entire method of attacking”.

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 11:39 PM Local time: May 22, 2006, 09:39 PM #22 of 1323
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
EDIT: Hmm, according to Gamefaqs, these are characters that the creator is considering to use in the game, and not the most voted characters.
If you're talking about scotty's link, it's not. It isn't the top votes either, those are the messages people sent in with http://cgi.nintendo.co.jp/cgi-bin/smashbros/article.cgi. Since they only revealed suggestions that included justification, you can assume that whatever we do it won't have any impact since they don't care about a list.

Edit: There's a mexican person who posted a request which they thought was thoughtful and well-worded enough to add the message to the list. If there's any foreigners who speak Japanese well enough to communicate, you might still have a shot at having your opinion count for something.

Last edited by kuttlas; May 22, 2006 at 11:46 PM.
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 06:24 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2006, 04:24 PM #23 of 1323
Yeah, thanks for spoiling Donkey Kong Country's title screen for us, jerk!

But doesn't that make it impossible for Mario and Diddy Kong to be in the same game, without time travel of course? In a game that at least has the pretense of taking itself seriously I mean.

FELIPE NO
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:59 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2006, 09:59 PM #24 of 1323
Originally Posted by shadowlink56
Is EVERYONE forgetting that Young Link and Adult Link are in the same game?
Originally Posted by kuttlas
In a game that at least has the pretense of taking itself seriously I mean.
Perhaps I should have clarified: Super Smash Bros. is not one of those games.

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 03:20 PM Local time: Jun 9, 2006, 01:20 PM #25 of 1323
Originally Posted by PsychoJosh
Also, if you read the thread you'd know that Cel-shaded Link is just a graphical swap of Young Link and will have all the same moves.

[...]

for god's sake, do you even read ANYTHING?
LOL IRONY. There has been no official mention of a cel-shaded Link, unless by official mention you mean wild baseless speculation.

How ya doing, buddy?
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Smash Bros. Brawl