Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Smash Bros. Brawl
Closed Thread

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 10:00 AM #1 of 1323
Wow.....that was a lot to read....but nevertheless, While I like seeing these new characters in the game, I'd still have to think about their movesets....Snake's Recovery/Triple Jump move (Up + B) immediately comes to mind, and I can't imagine any of his "B" moves....Ah, but no worries, I'm confident that Nintendo will surprise me as they've done in multiple occasions in the span of 30 minutes when I read this thread.

On another note, having a playable character from any Final Fantasy is not going to be likely at all. The only likely character from any Square-Enix game is probably going to be a Moogle or a Chocobo, probably the two longest lasting trademark "characters" or figures from Square.

Alas, Megaman would be a nice addition, his moveset would be pretty easy to fill up as seen in his debuts in Marvel vs. Capcom and such. Likelyhood, I dunno though.

Originally Posted by Darkcomet72
???

Can you show me a screenshot, or point me to a point in time in the trailer where the stage doesn't look like it could be played on a single plane?

I'm 98% positive that the playing fields will be single plane only just like they've always been.
Actually, It is possible to play in two planes, but infinitely more complicated. Addind a depth dimension would be a lot more interesting....But immediate evidence suggests the original formula.... but the camera is likely to rotate all around for a super move though.....

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Omnislash124; May 14, 2006 at 10:12 AM.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old May 14, 2006, 10:14 AM #2 of 1323
Originally Posted by CROW-3
Not everybody has a recovery/triple jump. Jigglypuff and Yoshi off the top of my head. Ness' can be pretty tough to pull off depending on where you are.
That's true, but characters like Jigglypuff and Yoshi have alternative methods. Yoshi has a monster Double Jump to get back, Jigglypuff jumps 5x like Kirby but to a lesser extent. I guess they could give Snake a Jetpack or something.....

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2006, 04:14 PM #3 of 1323
Meh, I think Nintendo is doing fine with the existing list, maybe add a few more, but those that are already in there should stay. I think Nintendo was trying to limit to trademark characters in many series, which would explain the massive amounts of some of the charactes from some series. If you look at it, most characters come from Mario because they are trademark characters. (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Bowser). Granted, Dr. Mario is a stretch. As far as pokemon go, that should be find as well, Mewtwo, Pikachu, and Jigglypuff are trademark characters (at least in Japan). Pichu is, again, a stretch. Earthbound basically features Ness as the main character. Paula and Poo are justifiable, but not any other characters, as trademark characters. Pit joins us from Kid Icarus, Kirby draws in Metaknight for a strong dose of trademark characters from that series, Marth and Roy are both trademark characeters of Fire Emblem. Two characters should be the maximum for each series, I think, because anymore and it seems to be overrepresented. But what's done is done, what's already there should not be removed in the next game. But granted, adding more Mario Characters or Pokemon is overkill.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 05:54 PM #4 of 1323
Originally Posted by Dubble
Im rather surprised that no one seems to have thought of this (or if they have then maybe I skimmed the thread too quickly). But if Old Link is the Twilight princess version, then why not have Young Link be the Wind Waker version. Aesthetically it'd make perfect sense and they wouldn't have to be clones of each other play wise. Plus - if they each had thier own stages - the look and feel of them would be a very interesting visual contrast.
It's a good idea, but as said before, it is a bit clashing, especially WW link and the Link in the Trailer. Then again, Trailer Pikachu and Trailer Link are a big contrast as well, so I guess it's fair game. And I digress.....

Different playing styles of characters may not be obvious but any change in their stats can yield great differences in a player's style. Case in point: Marth and Roy are the two most common figures for this example. Both have basically the same exact attacks. However, one does more damage at the sword's tip while the other does more inside the sweep. (I dunno which is which as I rarely use either one, much less know their stats). This, IMO, will greatly change your playing style as you may come from being extremely skilled as Roy, but when you change to Marth, Your fighting style has to change to correspond with the new "sweet spot" on the sword for most effective attacks. Granted, it is minor, but nevertheless, can be critical in the heat of a battle.

I still retain the opinion that nobody should be deleted from any previous game.....lest you get complaints from a Pichu Player....lol....Seriously, with the change from 1.4GB to 4.7GB, I think we have plenty of space to keep the all characters from the last games. (Unless I'm mistaken here.....feel free to correct me....)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 03:51 PM #5 of 1323
Originally Posted by Ryunam
Yeah, I think they'll end up putting both forms of the bounty hunter.
Though a teaser movie represents too little material to judge upon diverging battle-styles.

For all we know, Zero Suit Samus could unleash psychokinetic beams à la Mewtwo, just to compensate the lack of her trademark gun.
Lol, that would be amazing.....but yeah, they'd be better off keeping these guys separate instead of the "alternate costumes" as earlier pointed out, the balance would be completely thrown off if you could use a better version of a character over the original. Then again, they could implement it a la Street Fighter Aniversary Edition (or whatever it's called) where you can choose previous forms of these characters from Super Smash Bros. and SSBM. The reason why there was that people would have fun choosing a stock SSB character and wailing on the souped up SSBB or SSBM edition of the character. Plus, for all those people who complained that the Melee version of the character sucked in comparison to the original character (I'm mainly looking at Kirby here), they can choose the original if they wish. I dunno if it'll work, but it's a thought.

BTW, the move to DVD9 is great news, more room for more goodies.....sweet....

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Omnislash124; May 20, 2006 at 03:53 PM.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 04:38 AM #6 of 1323
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G
I hope the physics are more like those in SSB than SSBM. SSB has a great feeling of free movement, which allows for a lot of aerial combat. SSBM seems to have more gravity, and the fighting takes place mostly on the ground, with characters grouped more closely together.

Double Post:
I don't know if this has been posted, but:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthrea...2&page=1&pp=15

The director says that some SSBM characters will definitely be cut. I say, as long as he goes after the worthless clones, more power to him.
Yeah.....I'm somewhat disappointed with that decision. While I don't use all those characters anyway, I still would recommend them against removing old characters because I'm sure at least a few people used them.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 05:26 AM #7 of 1323
Ganondorf has a sword now? It's about damn time. I hated the fact that characters were clones of others with different stats. Hopefully, this proves true for ALL the clones.....

FELIPE NO
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 07:03 AM #8 of 1323
Speaking of Team Specials......exactly how would they work? And with that many characters, I think there are a bit too many possibilities to work with. Especially with the fact that theres 2 on 2 , 1 on 2, or 3 on 1 possibilties. Especially on the last two (2 on 1/3 on 1) that would be overly unbalanced.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 04:13 PM #9 of 1323
Wow.....talk about thread explosion. This is news indeed. Not that I use them, but I'm somewhat dissappointed they chose to axe some characters. It's understandable, but I still rather them keep them in. So.....a roster of 30-40? Wow....and 15 new faces....with 1 or 2 more from third parties.....this is going to rock.

BTW, Jigglypuff is never going to leave, at least I don't think. I hear that Jigglypuff is obscenely popular in Japan.

I think Megaman is porbably a shoe-in by now, simply because his moveset is already figured.

A note on the team attacks, (I know, it was a while ago) on second thought, it might work if you limit them to teams which use characters from the same game. Like a Kirby/Metaknight team special, or the classic Mario/Luigi combo. This, I can understand.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 09:28 PM #10 of 1323
Originally Posted by Helloween
They haven't really said much about items in SSBB (much like everythign else). Does anyone think they'll cut any items? I know plenty of people who seem to think that Pokeballs shouldn't be items anymore because "pokemon are gay". If this opinion is shared by a large enough section of the market, do you think Nitendo'll care? would they take them out?
I like the pokeballs.....they tend to lead to massive chaos like the series is known for. They add a lot of variety of a battle, and they tend to make it more interesting. If the "pokemon is gay" opinion is there, you'd think they wouldn't make the new pokemon game for the Wii (Pokemon Battle Revolution) or the new Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (I think that's what it's called). I think the ball is going to stay...

Nintendo doesn't care about if you like the items or not. Hell if you don't want them, isn't the Item Switch option still there?

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 07:56 AM #11 of 1323
I dunno why, but you could give him a jetpack for a triple jump/recovery move. (Or a Nikita Missile, and control like Ness, but that would hurt.....)Left+B/Right+B could be a stinger missile. Down+B could be some kind of grenade/C4/explosive. and Regular B would have to be some kind of projectile. It could be a FAMAS that shoots lasers....lol....

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:16 PM #12 of 1323
Originally Posted by sprouticus
Yeah, but Up+B needs to be a recovery move. Only thing I can think of is if on the ground, Up+B fires a Nikita missle horizontally, while in the air, it fires it straight down, while propelling him upwards.
That sounds to be easily abused. Just have snake jump the whole time and up+B the whole time. I guess Pikachu could counter with Thunder, but that's about it.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 09:17 PM #13 of 1323
Originally Posted by shadowlink56
Peachboy from the Momotaro Densetsu games

Hell Yes.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2006, 05:12 PM #14 of 1323
Meh, he may as well be punching if he's going to use a knife, it's not like he can do some crazy stab that doesn't look like a sword move. And with the size of a sword, that knife may as well be the size of a finger.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:09 AM #15 of 1323
Originally Posted by scotty
The stinger missle could be like Ness' Psi Thunder where you can control it while it's in the air
That would be the Nikita Missile, not the Stinger. But yeah, Snake carried like 7 guns in MGS, so why couldn't he pull out a random gun in less than a second? He's Freakin Solid Snake.

FELIPE NO
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:42 PM #16 of 1323
That would be the Stinger, the Nikita, and the Grenades. They've got to be explosives. A SOCOM or a FAMAS would not work, much less the PSG-1

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 07:58 AM #17 of 1323
I was thinking Grenades like Samus's Down+B. They explode on impact so I guess they'd be grenades. Claymores would render the proximity mines item useless. C4 could be a possibility, but it runs into the same problem as claymores. That and it would take a while to plant.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 09:13 AM #18 of 1323
Originally Posted by PsychoJosh
How would they render them useless? There are tons of items that give the characters the special moves of other characters. The Screw Attack, for example, and the Homerun Bat... they don't render Ness' or Samus' attacks useless. How would this be any different?

Also, him firing a Stinger missile straight down is a ridiculously stupid idea. If it's an attack that fires ONLY DOWNWARDS, why the hell is it an UP+B move?
Isn't the Screw attack much weaker in item form and the homerun bat much stronger in item form? I mean, I guess if you had a damage difference and availability, it wouldn't render them completely useless. But a mine? It'd have to be about as strong as Link's Bomb.

The button combinations don't have to make sense. As long as it can get him vertical distance, it doesn't matter. Just like how you can make Fox's UP+B go down as an attack.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 07:32 PM #19 of 1323
Originally Posted by J-Man

I don't get it.

Anyways, on topic again, Have we gotten any information oustide of new characters? New Items/Stages perhaps? New Single Player information maybe? All I know is that the huge Nintendog and the superpower pickup is there.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 04:36 PM #20 of 1323
Earthworm Jim is probably best described as the "whipping boy" for developers. Seriously, I haven't seen him an a good game since his origins. Developers just put him in a game without thinking anything through, and his games turn out usually pretty badly.

Whatever, back on topic, I'd really like to see some more third party characters, particularly some from Square-Enix, despite how unlikely it seems to have a Moogle or a Chocobo running around, even if it's just from an item.....though I'd can't imagine one popping out of a pokeball. But there's an idea if they ever include some square-enix characters in the fray. Seriously, namely the Final Fantasy license has a plethora of new interesting possibilties. I wanna see Bahamut blast everything on the field just once, or Odin come out of nowhere and cleaves shit up, I dunno.

Last edited by Omnislash124; Jul 6, 2006 at 04:38 PM.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 04:57 PM #21 of 1323
I think if Sony were to make a Super smash Bros. type game using various characters from its roster, it might be a bit more costly as thy rely much more heavily on third parties. As a result, they'd have to purchase the licenses to throw them all into a single game. That and it wouldn't have the Smash Bros. feel....probably more bloody and "mature", like that game that was to be released a while ago, but got canceled. I believe it was called Thrill Kill.

Final Fantasy does have Nintendo history, although not extensively and recently. But way back before Final Fantasy VI, Nintendo had some Final Fantasy History.

Most amazing jew boots
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2006, 07:55 PM #22 of 1323
I picture some happen in real time, like Mario's fireball thing. The others will still be moving and be able to dodge, but if they get hit by it, they'll get wiped out.
Seconded. I seriously hope it's not a KO Everybody on screen type of deal.

To tell the truth, I picture that the super moves should be wide-ranged an capable of hitting many opponents, otherwise there's no point to them. Link's Triforce Omnislash thing probably provides an instant KO for a single target, but what's the point if you can just dispatch them the regular way?
Much faster dispatch than working up damage and then a smash. Then again, it could just rack up insane amounts of damage without killing. Which is what I see in the majority of the super moves. instant KO would be cheap as it could be abused the hell out of. It probably just hurts.......A LOT.

Also, why "Chef" ability for Kirby? Why not "Crash" or "Paint"? Those seem to have much more potential for immense damage than Chef. Of course, in his games, Chef turned people into food items, so I don't know if this is a fatality or just something that causes big damage.
More likely, again, just big damage. Instant KO of any type would just be cheap.

Here's a theory I have for SSBB's Super Move system: they're selectable, like Super Arts in Street Fighter 3, which means all the characters have more than one super move. Right before the match you pick a character and one of the three super moves that are available to them, and you're stuck with that one for the rest of the match, thus letting a little strategy influence people's character decisions.
Dear god, please no. While it worked decently for Street Fighter 3 or Marvel VS. Capcom 2, Street Fighter, this is not. Super Smash Bros. has a history now. Its movesets have been programmed already so simply that just about anybody could pick it up and have some fun. The other fighting games, on the other hand, usually require you to memorize an assload of button combinations to actually be fun. While other fighting games hold fun in skill, this holds fun in chaos. The main reason I like this game so much over the traditional fighting games is that its so friggin easy to pick up. I don't have to win every time to have fun (though I'd like to, and its a surprise whenever I do). This is one of those games that I could have my relatives or friends come over and everybody would have a fair shot of winning, and not just one person dominating. (I know we have those kinds of people, but still).

Another theory I have is that they all require actual button inputs, not just simple stuff like Up+B or Down+B, but instead (direction)+B+A or L+R+B+(direction).
Hell no. Reason stated above. Too damn complicated. Also, L and R are already used for other stuff. I think we also already know that they're available from item pickups. At least by the video.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 09:18 AM #23 of 1323
Damn straight. There was one reason why I hated the other fighting games. That's because you needed to remember not only the MASSIVE move lists they may have, but if you don't know some high-hitting combos, you probably also have no chance against another human player. Smash Bros. Could not get any easier to pick up. It's just (Analog stick + A) OR (Analog Stick + B). Sure, combos exist in the SSB universe, but you don't have to know them to win. Partially because when there's more than 2 players involved, it's hard to come up with a combo that will avoid the other 2 players while you beat down the other guy.

That and add the fact that I could choose any character and know exactly how to play them. Hell, I could play decently with Ice Climbers if I wanted to. (I usually don't play Ice Climbers, I usually play Pikachu or Jigglypuff)

Most amazing jew boots
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2006, 06:06 AM #24 of 1323
Originally Posted by Luxo
I think it would be more along the lines of a supercharged special move. When you get the icon and press B with, say, Mario, huge fireballs appear. If you press down + B, Mario spins and creates a tornado. I don't know, this kind of thing could add a lot of awesomeness to the game.
Actually, that wouldn't be too bad of an idea. You might be on to something there. Say, you pick up the little power up and then the next B move you do is superpowered. That's quite a few combinations too. And as previously pointed out, it's probably too easily accidentally triggered. Maybe just one B move for each character. Like everybody's Down+B. The problem there comes with those characters who have moves on the Down+B that aren't exactly superpower-able. Like Fox's Reflection or Link's Bomb. It's all sepculation here, but I like that idea of using a B attack that is super charged.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2006, 04:29 PM #25 of 1323
Yeah, Icicle mountain is probably the most hated level in SSBM. I see how they tie it in, but in a game like SSBM, it's just downright annoying. I do enjoy the stage interactions though, They make things interesting. Although an option to turn it off wouldn't bother me one bit. as long as it is an option.

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Smash Bros. Brawl