Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

RPGs in this next, upcoming generation.

Technophile
With my hands...Be My Last

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 09:24 PM #1 of 5
RPGs in this next, upcoming generation.

When I compare what this last gen had to offer compared to the one before it in terms of RPGs, I can't help but feel a bit dissapointed. Don't get me wrong, we had amazing titles this last gen (FFX, Fire Emblem, DQVIII, Paper Mario, KH 1 & 2, etc.). However, they seem very few and far apart. Especially when you compare PS2's line-up to the number of solid titles PS1 had to offer. How do you think this upcoming gen's line-up of RPG's will hold up compared to the last two? (Yeah I know the question begs for pure speculaion, but...humor me and play along).

It's also worth noting that a lot of the companies seem to be more eager to go multi-platform this time (especialy SE). I also wonder how Wii's totally different control scheme and level of graphical power, will effect this new multi-platform trend that the companies seem to be picking up.l

Discuss.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old May 2, 2006, 11:54 PM Local time: May 2, 2006, 10:54 PM #2 of 5
By "gen" do you mean year or console? Because if you mean console then in that list I would also have to count BoF V since it was so pioneering.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 12:17 AM #3 of 5
Eh, I disagree...Felt like last gen was one disappointing Square RPG after another, with little else to bite on. There's been a much wider range of RPG's available this generation compared to last gen: A lot more SRPG's and a lot more that fall outside of the idea of 'mainstream' RPG's (Ys, Atelier series and the Shin Megami Tensei series finally coming over) to go with the continuing series' (FF, Wild Arms, Suikoden). I never felt particularly drawn to more than maybe 6 RPG's from PS1 (FF7, Xenogears <kind of>, Suikoden 1 and 2, Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile...There was Growlanser 2, which was a PS1 game originally but was released as a PS2 game...) and a lot of games both look and play better this generation (no more headache-inducing messes of polygons running around and load times are generally improved), on top of the better variety. The only thing wrong is there's too much to play...A problem I'll gladly take, as opposed to the situation from previous generations.

Look for most series' to go straight to PS3. Unless smaller companies decide they can't afford to and they opt to develop for DS or PSP instead. Wii and 360...Nintendo might opt for Paper Mario/Wii Wars/Fire Emblem and Microsoft will have enough domestic RPG's and Mistwalker/SE's offerings, but the majority will go to PS3.

Rather than worrying about the growing pains of the next gen (which, in the end, will mean little more than long waits and less variety than we have now in exchange for better graphics...At least for the first couple years), I'm looking forward to more localizations for this gen (most of which would never have happened in previous generations).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Chaco
Pirate Day

Member 766

Level 9.84

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 03:31 AM Local time: May 3, 2006, 12:31 AM #4 of 5
This generation was fine. Too many diamond in the roughs though.

Sure, 'New exciting things came out like Shin Megami Tensei and Shadow Hearts.' There were the instant-classics too. Zelda, Final Fantasy X, Dragon Quest VIII, You know what I mean.

The best ones are the ones no one gave the time of day. Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirts was beyond amazing in every aspect. Its a shame everyone was too busy with "bigger, better things", games like this went unnoticed where typically unnoticed games like Suikoden and Disgaea blew up. Disgaea and Suikoden (III, IV and V) were all though don't get me wrong.

RPGs are going more and more mainstream, I suppose that goes without saying though when games like SMT and shit are heralded as gods of games even though I didn't find it particullarly fun whatsoever. I personally hope the next generation of RPGs stick to the tried and true methods. I like them better than all this new shit that's coming out. I don't care about spinning wheels in battles and crazy comboattacks with cinematics. Make a good game, End of story.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 09:00 PM Local time: May 5, 2006, 10:00 AM #5 of 5
I have to agree with Goldfish. This genration of RPGs certainly had quantity. At least for the PS2 (the now dominant RPG gaming system, I believe), it almost seems like there's a new English RPG released every couple of months. I'm inclined to think the SNES and PS1 were not quite as productive at churning out RPGs. I have a gut feeling that this is attributed to increasing willingness to localize Japanese RPGs for English speaking gamers, and, of course, the RPG revolution started by FF7. If this trend continues, we might see more titles for the next gen gaming systems.

I also feel that, in terms of gameplay, there are more innovative RPGs for this current generation, thanks in part to FF. Gameplay has seen some interesting twists and turns to keep things refreshing for the most part. To keep gamers interested and appeal to a wider audience, I think it's inevitable that new innovations in gameplay will be made in the future. I have a feeling that we might also see more cross-genre titles (e.g. survival horror RPGs, FPS RPGs, platforming RPGs).

It's difficult to say if this generation's RPGs were better than the previous generation. Sure, the current generation might have better graphics and sound/music but other crucial elements might be missing or less than satisfactory. In some cases, better graphics actually adds to the gaming experience, so...

I guess the problem with current gen RPGs is having to meet increasing demands and expecations of gamers. The mainstream gamer would expect more cinematic RPGs brimming with flashy 3D graphics and motion-captured animations (FF, again, has to be credited for this). So it's not surprising that there will be an even greater focus in that department in RPGs, especially for the next generation of gaming systems. I'd say be prepared to play more movies, for better or worse.

I was speaking idiomatically.
I think therefore I am... I think.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > RPGs in this next, upcoming generation.