Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Best. Minigame. Ever.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:38 AM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 10:38 AM #1 of 56
Best. Minigame. Ever.

Inspired by discussion in the Dark Cloud 2 thread, I decided to revive this one from its untimely death during the crash.

Virtually all genres of games have 'em. ESPN NFL 2K5 had air hockey and I think darts. Final Fantasy X has Blitzball. Daxter for the PSP has dream sequences you play through. Et cetera, et cetera.

The thought behind this thread is for you to post the minigame(s) you enjoy and the game(s) it came from. None of this "FFX cuz of Blitzball." stuff though.

And since I've mentioned it twice in the opening statement, you can probably guess that Blitzball is in fact my favorite minigame of all-time. I will continue to hope that Square-Enix will design a Blitzball Online based on the minigame from Final Fantasy X, not X-2.

I spent about 150 hours playing Blitzball just so I could master it to the point where I didn't even need to see the screen to play. Blitzball is by far the most addicting minigame I think I've ever come across.

Other than that, Final Fantasy 7 had the submarine simulator. And that was also a ton of fun. You just basically control a submarine and move around until you spot and enemy, and then it's torpedos away. I'd love to see the minigame reappear under the PS3's capabilities, but we'll have to wait and see for that.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
DK RendeR
Wark!

Member 1025

Level 3.41

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:17 AM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 09:17 AM #2 of 56
Final Fantasy 7 snowboarding. 'Nuff said.

I have wasted, probably, more time on that minigame than the actual story itself. A friend and I use to just sit there and race against each other (via the ghost moogle) to see who could get a faster time.

Also, who remembers the Gradius sequence in Blades of Steel?

Most amazing jew boots
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:27 AM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 10:27 AM #3 of 56
The cooking mini-game in Suikoden II was great fun. Having chefs show up out of nowhere just to have a cook-off was awesome.

FFVII's snowboarding game was more fun for me than the submarine one was. Its simplicity combined with the speed of it made for some fun times. Granted, I didn't put more than 15 minutes at a time on it, but I'm not a huge mini-game player.

Dragon Quest VIII's roulette game kept me pretty occupied, but I'm not sure if it was because it was fun or because I used it to quickly and easily gain a lot of great armors.

Star Ocean: Til the End of Time's battle arena sucked out a lot of my time, partially because it was fun, and partially because I used it to gain a shitton of experience and currency using double exp and triple fol battle bonuses. Fighting against the blue dragon and the dragon rider was fun and reward at the same time!

FFVII's battle arena should be mentioned as well. It was a lot of fun decking emoCloud out with the Ultima sword, mystile bracelet, and serious business materia and then rolling through the eight rounds trying to survive while breaking all kinds of equipment to get the most points.

FFVII's chocobo breeding and racing go hand in hand here and were both a ton of fun the first couple of times I played through the game. Subsequent playthroughs had these two mini-games be less fun since I knew exactly how to go about getting through them as efficiently as possible.

I know that I'm leaving out about fifty-two mini-games that I really enjoyed, but I will allow others to cover those, or I will revisit them later in the thread.

How ya doing, buddy?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:40 AM #4 of 56
Fun Fun Sonic from Sonic Shuffle, of course.

"You *boing* bastard! You *boing* stole my *boing* trampol *splat*"

"No... NO! I *boing* can clear the *boing pop* gap! I *Iron ball to the face* *splat*"

*Destroys 18th Dreamcast Controller*

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:59 AM #5 of 56
Snake VS Monkey from MGS3/Subsistance (I've never laughed so hard)

Blitzball from FF-X (best sport game EVER! lol)

Don't know if this is quite a mini-game, Geometry Wars Evolved

I was speaking idiomatically.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 12:18 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 12:18 PM #6 of 56
Originally Posted by Slayer X
Snake VS Monkey from MGS3/Subsistance (I've never laughed so hard)

Blitzball from FF-X (best sport game EVER! lol)

Don't know if this is quite a mini-game, Geometry Wars Evolved
Originally Posted by SouthJag
The thought behind this thread is for you to post the minigame(s) you enjoy and the game(s) it came from. None of this "FFX cuz of Blitzball." stuff though.
God damn you.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
SuperDK
ROBO-KY!

Member 654

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 12:31 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 10:31 AM #7 of 56
Geometry Wars Retro Evolved can be classified as a mini-game, imo. It is in PGR3, is not the full game (which is not really any different from the Live Arcade) and probably the only reason to play it. It's fun as hell.

FELIPE NO
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 12:57 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 10:57 AM #8 of 56
Hmm... mini-games aren't coming to me right now, but I remember playing Triple Triad off Final Fantasy VIII a lot as well as Tetra Master with Final Fantasy IX and Final Fantasy XI.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
jRev
XP FLAG XP FLAG XP FLAG XP FLAG XP FLAG XP FLAG

Member 610

Level 5.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 12:58 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 01:58 AM #9 of 56
In Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, there's an arcade room somewhere in Asakusa where you can play a cool little block-pushing puzzle game. The goal is simple: get to the designated point on the board and you win the level. There are all sorts of obstacles to push around and manipulate, including blocks that can be pushed into pits to form new platforms and bigger blocks that rotate around a set point. It's pretty long -- it took me about two hours to solve all the levels -- and it's significantly challenging.

There's a Magatama prize for making it through, but I found the satisfaction of beating all the levels rewarding in its own right.

Is there a Flash game out there or even an old console game that plays like this minigame? This is the sort of thing I'd love on a handheld.

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 01:07 PM #10 of 56
SouthJag: I didn't mean that part about FFX in the way you think. I like FFX and I love BlitzBall. But I hate sports games with all my might. (why spend $60 for a sport game when you can just go outside?) Therefore what I meant was that BlitzBall is the only "sport" game that I play, even though it's a mini-game. Do you see what I mean now???

I also forgot to mention Tekken Force mode in Tekken 3... not 5.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 01:13 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 12:13 PM #11 of 56
Originally Posted by Slayer X
(why spend $60 for a sport game when you can just go outside?)
See how much fun you have trying to play baseball by yourself.

Why spend $60 on a fighting game when you can just go to the mall and pick a fight with some emo kid. Why spend $60 on a racing game when you can just go get in your car and drive somewhere. Why spend $60 on an FPS/military strategy/espionage game when you can just go join the military.

Anyway, I am glad that dude mentioned Triple Triad, as I forgot to mention it and it is one that I always enjoyed playing a whole lot.

How ya doing, buddy?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 01:41 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 01:41 PM #12 of 56
Slayer X, I was mad because you're just listing the minigame, not telling why you liked it. For example --

Quote:
I also forgot to mention Tekken Force mode in Tekken 3... not 5.
I have no clue what Tekken Force mode is. So describe it briefly and say why you liked it.

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
JasonTerminator
Sup staypuft.

Member 1276

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 02:01 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 12:01 PM #13 of 56
The fighting game in Xenogears.

I've organized tournaments based on that fighting game (Although, Fenrir is SO goddamn overpowered it's not even funny.) It's pretty deep and fun once you get near the end of the game with the large numbers of gears to choose from.

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 02:18 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 09:18 PM #14 of 56
Please don't use words like "some", "short", "small" or "briefly", it only gives people more excuses to slack off.

Slayer X, his point was don't just list names, you need to describe and explain why you like the minigame and preferably what the minigame is about in the first place.

Personally, I have an addiction for Paper Plane in Wario Ware. Of course, the whole game is made of minigames and I'd have a very hard time choosing a second favorite since Skateboarding, Jump Forever, Scooter Commuter and countless other microgames (the games in the main play mode, as opposed to the unlockable minigames like Paper Plane and Jump Forever) are all wonderful.

Paper Plane has you guiding a small paper plane floating downwards in an endless freefall. As you float down, pipes of different sizes act as obstacles as you need to control your plane's angle by pressing left or right. The steeper the angle, the faster the drop. Each obstacle you pass gives you one point and the game continues until you touch an obstacle and your plane explodes in cloud of white paper confetti.

It's a charmingly simple game, though slightly more complicated than Jump Forever or Skateboarding (which require you to press only one button). The fact that your plane is constantly falling and you can only make it drop faster or slightly slower (as opposed to making it rise even a little), means you need to get a perfect rhythm to the floating or you will be too far to guide your plane past the next obstacle. My personal best is 214, which I achieved while taking the tram to my aun't appartment in town. I was about ready to stop around 102, but for some reason decided to play till I died and just kept going.

Unlike most other games in Wario Ware, Paper Plane doesn't really get harder or faster as you proceed in the same sense the other games do. The obstacle shapes and sizes change, but if you get the rhythm right, I think it's quite possible to reach over 400 easily, completely unlike most of the microgames where eventually the speed gets so fast it's humanly impossible to keep up with the time limit.

Much calmer and more relaxing than a good amount of the mini- and microgames in Wario Ware, Paper Plane remains awesome as it only works well for quick 30 second speed games (you get a kind of lap time announced to you, so you can even try to float down as fast as you can for extra challenge) or 30 minute marathon sessions (believe me, even one 1 minute spent on a single event in Wario Ware counts as marathon lenght).

"Skateboarding" is an even simpler game, where you guide 9Volt, the game's obsessive retro Nintendo fan, on a skateboard and dodge obstacles by jumping or ducking. For each obstacle dodged, you get a point and again the game goes on till you hit something. As the game proceeds, you're required to dodge birds that fly at you at different speeds and patterns, making the game a bit trickier as it goes on. It's all down to reflexes and timing in the end and I've only gotten up to 128 for my best.

Jump Forever is ridiculously addicting rope jumping game that really only requires you to press A for jump and nothing else. It's possible to move left and right, but there's no real reason to do this. The rope's swing speeds up a little after a certain amount of cycles and later on becomes more random, at which point you usually mess up the timing and hit the rope. I think I've only gotten up to 69 or so, but you keep coming back for the simple gameplay and the super addicting music that plays along to the tempo of the game.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Mar 27, 2006 at 02:20 PM.
Mobius One
X

Member 2171

Level 19.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 03:19 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 04:19 PM #15 of 56
The "love making" minigame in God of War is one of the most hilarious and unique minigames I've ever seen.

My favorite minigame has to be "Galaxy Monkey" from the original Ape Escape. That is one of the most addicting and fun space shooters I've ever played. Everything about it is great! The highest level that I've made it to was 60 something.

I don't know if it really counts as a minigame, but the Mercinaries mode in Resident Evil 4 was pretty intense. The Super Chainsaw maniacs are perhaps the freakiest thing ever.

The optional landing sequences in the Ace Combat games are fun. Has anyone else tried landing in the most unusual way possible? I've landed on a carrier going at it from the side before.

The dream sequence in Metal Gear Solid 3 was good for a few seconds of entertainment. I still don't know why it's in the game.

FELIPE NO

[ MOBIUS ]
ComCrimson
MYV

Member 115

Level 12.39

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 03:48 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 09:48 PM #16 of 56
Any of the mini games in Gemity in Star Ocean Til The End Of Time rocked. I used to play those for hours. I loved the little chess thing. I can't beat the computer on the highest level though. I always draw with it (i'm just too good)

The Motorcycle chase in FFVII was the best game to me. I loved that when i played it in game, and whenever i went to the Golden Saucer, that's all i played on. I wasn't ever really a fan of the snowboaring however.

Blitzball from FFX was the most addictive mini game i have ever played though. I remember a couple of summers ago, i would play this from the minute i woke up to the minute i went to sleep again. The music is addictive in it as well and i kick ass with Tidus. I came up with the (almost) perfect strategy to defeat most of the teams. The Al Bhed were always a pain in the ass though.

Cheers B4!
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 04:44 PM #17 of 56
My pick would have to be Sushi-go-Round from Pokémon Stadium. Granted, I haven't played very many minigames...

Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 04:50 PM #18 of 56
My favourite minigame ever is "Go To Sheep" ~_~ or whatever the sheep jumping game was called in Warioware Twisted I believe. All you had to do was press A when a sheep got close to the fence so that you could jump it and help the boy sleep. The more sheep you got over the fence the better your score.
The catch: These sheep don't go in single file all that peacefully! At first they come at a steady rate, but they may slow down, speed up, or even reverse at will! Some sheep are also transparent which can distract several people. On top of that, the sheep all speed up in general after 50 or so come by. The look on the boy's face is priceless when you fail and let the sheep crash into the fence. He wakes up wide-eyed and you just screwed up his sleep schedule

Warioware consists purely of micro and minigames which are all so blissfully nutty:

- Paper Plane is also lots of fun, already appropriately given a mini tribute in one of the above posts.

- Pyoro in Warioware Inc. is lots of fun too. You are Pyoro, the bird with the long tongue, who is trying to shoot down all the magically falling seeds from the sky. The backdrop changes depending on your score with all sorts of psychadelic colour schemes. The high score is initially 10000 points, and you can get 500 points I think if you shoot the seed if its close to the top of the screen still. Think it's easy?
The catch: The seeds fall down at insane speeds after a couple of thousand points. Not enough? There are lots of seeds. The kicker? Each seed you miss wrecks the floor space that Pyoro has to navigate, essentially limiting your movement space. If a seed falls on Pyoro, then it's game over!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 05:28 PM #19 of 56
It looks like only one person said Triple Triad so far, so I'll be the second person. I normally hate mini-games in video games, but TT in FFVIII just rocked. It's so good that you could basically play TT without touching the actual main game at all, although you do need to advance in order to get the better cards. FFIX tried to one-up TT with Tetra Master, but it failed miserably. The rules were much more complex, thus making it less fun to play.

Aside from TT, lots of the mini-games except one in Pokémon Stadium 2 were fun. It's good to see furrets starring in one of them!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 05:31 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 02:31 PM #20 of 56
I actually thought the Chocobo Hot and Cold game from FFIX was good. While certainly not the best, it occupied my time as I tried to complete everything.

Several minigames from Suikoden IV were also enjoyable once I finally learned how to play.

Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 05:42 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 03:42 PM #21 of 56
The casino games in any of the Dragon Quests. Whether that be poker, blackjack, and/or roulette. Or the fun little unique games in there. Each Dragon Quest game I play I usually lose interest in the story when I hit the casinos. I'm in the casino trying to get enough coins for a sword that's only nominally better then stuff you can buy in shops.

Uhh I think I have a gambling problem...

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 05:48 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 12:48 AM #22 of 56
Originally Posted by Summonmaster
Warioware consists purely of micro and minigames which are all so blissfully nutty:
Nutty is indeed the word. It's not just how most of the games are "crazy", but they also manage to be so utterly endearing in execution and idea. Shaking the dog's paw for instance and watching his ears as he's pleased.

I always crack up at the weightlifting game where you need to madly bash A and up randomly so the guy gets the weights up. The final "WAIYAAAAA!!" he let's out when he succeeds is priceless.

I also greatly enjoyed the fishing game in Ocarina of Time. Plenty of games tried to repeat the formula with gameplay twists and exciting camera angles, but none really matched the perfect atmosphere and subtle controls the Ocarina fishing had. I don't remember my best catch, but by god was I proud of it.
And hell, you can snatch the hat from the shopkeeper's head, and you need to be ridiculously accurate at it. How awesome is that?

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Mar 27, 2006 at 05:50 PM.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:11 PM #23 of 56
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete's battle pong was awesome. It was crazy, multiplayer randomness. Protecting your fort was really hard.

My favorite mini-game of all time has to be the cooking game in Suikoden II. I don't really remember the details, but I do remember that it was wacky in-game take of Iron Chef. I wish they would bring that little contest back in a future installment of the series.

FELIPE NO

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:45 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 04:45 PM #24 of 56
Legaia 2: Duel Saga's planting scheme is one of the best ever, if your digits are hardcore enough to finish the whole field in less than 13 seconds. Just press a combination of buttons (R1 L1 R1 Down X) consecutively. Sounds fun? In 13 seconds without using a pre-programmed controller it is a test of kick-ass.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:57 PM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 06:57 PM #25 of 56
Even though it's not really a minigame, the Ft. Condor battle in FF7 was also a lot of fun, and a nice departure from the game's traditional play. Setting up the right amount and type of troops at strategic locations was really enjoyable.

Speaking of pong, as Mucknuggle brought up, the loading screen of Test Drive for the PS2 was Pong. If two controllers were plugged in, you can play two-players or if it was just you, you'd play against the CPU. Lots of fun though, and the game wouldn't interrupt your Pong match either -- just press start to begin the race.

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Best. Minigame. Ever.