Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Silent Hill: Homecoming. Now with HD fog effects

galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2008, 01:49 AM Local time: Oct 5, 2008, 11:49 PM #26 of 35
My copy is on it's wayyyyyyyyy...

But seriously, where's the soundtrack? Amazon gave me a free download of 3 "bonus tracks" for buying from them, but where's the rest?

Also, hello internet people.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Oct 6, 2008, 01:52 AM Local time: Oct 6, 2008, 04:52 PM #27 of 35
Holy crap, galen! I was just thinking about you last night.

It's okay though I had my pants on at the time.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2008, 02:03 AM Local time: Oct 6, 2008, 12:03 AM #28 of 35
That's good. Pants are good.

(I like pants.)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:08 PM Local time: Oct 20, 2008, 07:08 PM #29 of 35
I was curious if anyone has made it far into this game and has an opinion on it?

Thanks.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
IV > VI > VIII > VII > IX > V > XII > X
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:27 PM #30 of 35
Oh... uhm... Just don't get your hopes up or anything. At least just rent it for a Silent Hill experience once more or something.

I haven't really gave out an indepth review of this game because I honestly do not know what to make of it. I'm not sure if they're TRYING to be a Silent Hill or a new Silent Hill. I don't know if THAT makes any sense, but it seems to be fodder to me. Just a filler til you get to the next Silent Hill to satisfy your taste for fucked up gore/environment I suppose.

The endings were brief and you're still left with "what the hell did I just waste my time for?" The plot seems interesting but it's just broken all over. For a good example, you'll notice that in loading screens, the character has gray hair and according to the manual, your main is only 22 years old and just got back from the war and yet is experienced in combat? LOL. And yet there's plenty of cutscenes of him and Josh (his younger brother) together as if the years haven't really passed. I really like the bit how you just somehow magically have the knife with you after you woke up from the terrible nightmare. And let me tell you, the combat is just broken.

You'll have a triple A combo to finish with X, and these enemies can utilize that too. So most of the weapons are pretty much useless in terms of speed in combos except for your initial weapon, the combat knife. You'll find the later weapons are too slow to help with the combos. And you'll get stuck in THEIR combos, which can be outright nasty.

And the final group of enemies at the end actually wield a pipe. Seriously. You'd be like what the fuck? How come we cannot get any better/stronger/fearsome enemies than this especially now AFTER all that? But nuuuu.... like I said, its almost like fodder really. :\ I don't know... it does feel like a rush job. But it does have some nice creepy moments. IE in the beginning, you'll read this paper on the wall that says monsters are attracted to the light and sound. So I had my flashlight and radio turned off (despite of turning them off, there's a glitch that makes them turn on when you enter/leave an area) and approached this room with a tv that is in static and you can see this nurse standing in front of it. NICE effect once you turned those on and you can see it twitching from the distance. But when I got there and start hacking away at it, all the sudden there was another bitch behind me. I'm like what the fuck? I couldn't BARELY see this damn nurse. I decided to fuck with my brightness on game/tv to see if I could ever see the outline of that nurse. But no.

It does have glitches in both versions mind you, where and how is what varies. I had a glitch in where I tried to skip a cutscene at the near end (to attempt at another ending) and it just froze completely. Reset the system. :\

Anyway, I recommend it for a rental at least if you're into survival horror and plot... even if it is shitty. :\

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Philia; Oct 20, 2008 at 10:33 PM.
Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2008, 03:26 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2008, 12:26 PM #31 of 35
Bump because Yahtzee did this game for the latest Zero Punctuation. His ass remains uneaten!

Edit: Also, if you are reading this thread because you are a survival horror fan, I suggest you go read my Dead Space thread if you haven't already.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Animechanic; Oct 22, 2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: shameless plug
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2008, 03:46 PM #32 of 35
Bump because Yahtzee did this game for the latest Zero Punctuation. His ass remains uneaten!

Is there really a character like this in the game, lollin.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

#654: Braixen
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2008, 03:48 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2008, 02:48 PM 2 #33 of 35
Hell yeah I want some fried chicken.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Foshi
Laugh and Grow Fat

Member 3194

Level 13.18

Mar 2006

Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:15 PM Local time: Feb 9, 2009, 11:15 PM #34 of 35
Bought this for $20 Sunday. Just started playing today only a few hours into the story. Double Helix, the developer, has captured the atmosphere of the other 5 games quite well. The trademark fog is back and thicker than ever. Enemies all have that leathery texture to their skin and look like something straight out of a nightmare which is obviously the point.

So far I like exploration aspects of the game and trying to piece together the story by paying attention to and reading all of the letters and collecting all of the drawings/pictures scattered around the town.

Combat is better than it has been in any of the other games in the series. It takes a bit of time to get used to it, but you can dodge enemies attacks and counter attack with practice. You can move while aiming as well which gives you a tactical advantage in combat. Weapons are limited but they each serve a purpose in exploration and specific enemies have weaknesses to certain weapons.

I'm looking forward to playing some more because it is the closest thing to old school survival horror that has come out in along time.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:50 AM Local time: Feb 19, 2009, 04:50 AM #35 of 35
The only thing I really liked about this game is that the characters that were mildly sane acted like shit was actually wrong. I actually laughed when I ran into my first needler and the protagonist says, "You gotta be SHITTIN' me!"

Amen, dude. Too bad you were in the lamest SH game to date. Actually, no. The Room was pretty awful, too.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Silent Hill: Homecoming. Now with HD fog effects