Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Games You've Missed Out On

Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:34 PM Local time: Jan 31, 2009, 11:04 PM #1 of 18
Games You've Missed Out On

Out of all the games we've ever played has there ever been a title that you've always wanted to play, but for some apparent reason you've just forgot about it, or there have been other games that you wanted to play and you've always put off purchasing or playing this game on the back-burner until you eventually forget about it.

For me, I didn't own very many video games when I was teenager. There was a lot of games I missed out. I had only had a snes during the time I was a teenager. The next system I ended up owning was a playstation. That was fairly late into the psone lifespan. I use to pick up a lot of gaming magazines, and I always wanted to play a lot of games especially for the sega saturn. Even now I finally did up a checklist of all the sega saturn games I would like to play, and even though games such as shining force III, panzer dragoon, and dragon force are probably great games. The one game I always wanted to play because I remember this game being shown on a lot video game magazines.

The game is:

I was already into playing rpg's at the time from all the snes rpg's I've played. I think it was this game that really heightened my interest toward J-RPG's even though I had never played the game before. I think it opened my interest toward playing more anime rpg's. I was just amazed when I read gaming magazines when I was a teen, and I kept seeing this game's cover art take up a full page on a gaming magazine. It actually introduced me to working designs, because I didn't even though they worked on the Lunar games. Working designs has its fair share of anime style games. Supposedly it is a better than average rpg and it'll probably be one of the first games I'll buy for my sega saturn.

To the GFF community has their always been that one game, you never had a chance to play or own, but always wanted to.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:45 PM Local time: Jan 31, 2009, 09:45 PM #2 of 18
The game that I missed out on and always wished I'd gotten into, but didn't until much later, was this:

I'd seen it in a ton of magazines, but I was busy moving across continents at the time so I didn't bother picking up a Sega CD. It wasn't until years later I got to play this, and discovered where Dragon Force had taken its roots. Fantastic little game.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Last edited by No. Hard Pass.; Jan 31, 2009 at 10:52 PM.
BlindMonk
A ride! Now that's a good idea!

Member 28143

Level 18.68

Feb 2008

Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:30 PM Local time: Jan 31, 2009, 11:30 PM #3 of 18
I suppose we could just dig through our various backloggery pages, but if I had to single out one...

I didn't own the console at the time and since then it's become just about the highest profile item on a long, untouched queue which never goes away.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Feb 1, 2009, 12:02 AM Local time: Jan 31, 2009, 11:02 PM 1 #4 of 18

I've played like ten minutes of this game at a friend's. I've watched others play it several times. It's a great game, as far as I can tell. I just don't have the drive to go out and get for myself and play it through. I don't know why. I feel sort of bad, but maybe I'll get it someday. Who knows.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:06 AM #5 of 18
Odd that you post Albert Oddyssey as it's one of the few games I have listed for sale on my half.com account.

For me, I'd probably say the .hack games. I really wanted to try them out, especially after watching .hack//SIGN. But my time was pretty absorbed by real MMOs at the time. I missed out on alot of gems during the PS2 era, some of which I have and just need to take time to go back and play them. But with .hack, I'm not really sure I wanna bother going back and playing a 4 parter that's years old now.

I was speaking idiomatically.

"Out thought and out fought."
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2009, 11:13 AM Local time: Feb 1, 2009, 10:13 AM #6 of 18
I have played FF 1, 2, 4, 6, 12, but have not played 7 as well. Since that was already said... I'm going to have to say that Mana Series. The thing is, I have at least 4 or 5 of them, I just haven't gotten around to playing them yet.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2009, 12:13 PM #7 of 18
Ooh... Um.

I started playing pretty much from the Atari system, and mostly covered most games I had seen to play or wanted to play. I hardly missed out on much. But I'll say that I missed out completely on the Turbo Graphic 16 action rpgs as well as some rare Saturn titles I have yet to play. IE Panzer Dragoon, Shining Force III, to name a few. Thankfully we own those now, and I can get around to playing these.

But my biggest missed series are often the PC games. I couldn't get into western rpgs nowdays but I learned that there's several GREAT (from what I read?) pc games that I had missed out on. IE Deus Ex, System Shock, Half-Life (did play 2 and the two episodes...), Doom & Duke Nukem (end up playing on some console version), Diablo, Unreal, etc etc etc. I got into the pc gaming pretty late. The only games I had played exclusively for PC were the Ultima series and NOLF.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Philia; Feb 1, 2009 at 12:15 PM.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:56 AM Local time: Feb 1, 2009, 10:56 PM 4 #8 of 18
Even though I actually own them for the Mac, I've never actually installed or played the first two Monkey Island games. I am a devout follower of Tim Schafer and his work but the Monkey Island series has somehow (and sadly) evaded my time. Same goes with the first two Fallout titles.

I am told this puts me in the same category of human being as Hitler and catholic priests.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 12:58 AM Local time: Feb 1, 2009, 11:58 PM #9 of 18
Even though I actually own them for the Mac, I've never actually installed or played the first two Monkey Island games. I am a devout follower of Tim Schafer and his work but the Monkey Island series has somehow (and sadly) evaded my time. Same goes with the first two Fallout titles.

I am told this puts me in the same category of human being as Hitler and catholic priests.
SO MUCH MAD.

TOO MUCH MAD FOR TYPING.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 01:27 AM Local time: Feb 2, 2009, 01:27 AM #10 of 18
I was always intrigued by the premise of 11th Hour and 7th Guest, but never had a chance to play them. Even at a young age I was looking for adventure titles, and haunted mansions sounded pretty intriguing at that age. Wasn't until later that the technology caught up sufficiently for me to feel like playing games like that, though.

Kind of the same story with the Myst series. I always heard good things and wanted so much to like them, but hearing stories about how long some players spent on the puzzles scared me away. To this date, I've played about 15-20 minutes in total of the Myst series, even though I have Myst 4 and 5, and have yet to install them.

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 01:58 AM Local time: Feb 2, 2009, 09:58 AM #11 of 18

I just replayed the first two games, each took me about 5 hours to finish, and I couldn't remember what to do most of the time. MI2's puzzles are pretty frustrating at times and the jokes aren't as funny as 1's, but they're both still excellent adventure titles. So get to it. If you don't get sound on MI1 through ScummVM, redownload them from TPB. I own the Monkey Madness disc, and only got sound when I got a version with separate .ogg music.

Kind of the same story with the Myst series. I always heard good things and wanted so much to like them, but hearing stories about how long some players spent on the puzzles scared me away. To this date, I've played about 15-20 minutes in total of the Myst series, even though I have Myst 4 and 5, and have yet to install them.
I have the complete collection that comes with all five games. I really enjoyed Myst and Riven. Myst's puzzles aren't even that difficult. They can be pretty cryptic, but because you are alone in the ages and aren't told what to do. They are never illogical, you'll be able to finish the first game in a few sittings. The Masterpiece Edition even comes with a two-stage hint system so you have no fear of getting stuck. It is a very atmospheric title and while the storytelling is slight, the narrative running through the pages of the books you find on the journey is very intriguin. Riven is a great game, but the puzzles can be very frustrating. The game is so much vaster than Myst, you have more room to get lost and wander without noticing THAT little sidepath that leads to the switch you were looking for all along.

If you like atmospheric adventures, I urge you to play them. Getting both to run can be a bit tricky, especially Riven, but there's good guides for it and I got mine to run without a hitch. At worst you'll need to install real media alternative, and in Riven's case copy two files from the Real Media folder into the Riven folder and it'll work.

I have a great number of true classics I've never played, some I even own already but never got around to starting. The Baldur's Gate games and Planescape Torment I aim to play hopefully this year. There are still a lot of adventure games I haven't finished either, Space Quest 3-6, King's Quest 4-7, Leisure Suit Larry 7, The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, Gabriel Knight 2 and 3. These are all titles I already have and are just waiting for me to start and complete them.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Feb 2, 2009 at 02:13 AM.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 02:04 AM 1 #12 of 18
Well, I've never indulged into the Megaman series. My horrible fate starts with me making my first Megaman game being X6 (people saying it's one of the worst in the series). I'm looking to pick up the anniversary collection for the PS2 when I find it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 03:29 AM Local time: Feb 2, 2009, 04:29 PM #13 of 18
Hm, I missed out Myst, the Saga (for SNES and PS2) series, the Mana series (for SNES and PS2), oh FF5 and Chrono Trigger. Well, I played a few hours into CT on zsnes, but not as long as I have played on the DS re-release. I missed Deus-Ex, System Shock (which I owned at some point in time), Serious Sam, and a whole lotta PC games.

I was speaking idiomatically.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 03:50 AM Local time: Feb 2, 2009, 11:50 AM #14 of 18
Hm, I missed out Myst, the Saga (for SNES and PS2) series, the Mana series (for SNES and PS2), oh FF5 and Chrono Trigger. Well, I played a few hours into CT on zsnes, but not as long as I have played on the DS re-release. I missed Deus-Ex, System Shock (which I owned at some point in time), Serious Sam, and a whole lotta PC games.
Also missed on Sands of Time and Halol till you actually finally played them. Or was that only Halo 2 and you still haven't played 1? >=0

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 04:02 AM Local time: Feb 2, 2009, 05:02 PM #15 of 18
only Halol 2, I don't have 1

FELIPE NO
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 04:14 AM Local time: Feb 2, 2009, 12:14 PM #16 of 18
Tch

You have a modded machine, no excuses. Halol 1 is <3

(ps when are you coming over so we can co-op)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 07:42 PM Local time: Feb 3, 2009, 01:42 AM #17 of 18
I was interested in Albert Odyssey for a long time too, and finally tried it out in about 2002 and found it to be a shoddy game. It doesn't do anything new with the rpg formula at all and the translation has awful teenage humour and pop culture references crowbarred in. The only good quality is the overworld music, and you're not even allowed to enjoy that because it keeps getting interruped every five seconds (literally) by tedious random encounters.

I know you'll still want to try the game anyway because it's a question mark that's been hovering over you for ages, but should you get a Saturn you're best off making a beeline for those other games you mentioned.

Originally Posted by Qwarky
Planescape Torment I aim to play hopefully this year
"This year"? What's wrong with now?

I've always wanted to play Anachronox, which is a PC western rpg influenced by J-rpgs. Supposedly has a good story and soundtrack and is one of the handful of games that are actually funny. And it's produced by Walton Simons. What more could you want?

Another game is The Nomad Soul, which is a PC adventure game released in 1999. Said to have a living-breathing city, which is something I love in a game if done right. Something else that sounds intriguing is that when you die you reincarnate into a different character. Oh, and the electronic ambient/rock score is by David Bowie, who also makes a cameo in the game. Again, what more could you want?

Good thread. It's probably made me get off my arse and actually get these games.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:08 PM Local time: Feb 2, 2009, 11:08 PM #18 of 18
I've always wanted to play Anachronox, which is a PC western rpg influenced by J-rpgs. Supposedly has a good story and soundtrack and is one of the handful of games that are actually funny. And it's produced by Walton Simons. What more could you want?
It's good and all, but it was planned as a trilogy, so you'll probably find the ending...unsatisfactory.

I also found it a pain just to navigate through cities sometimes, because I don't remember a minimap, and it got tedious a lot of times having to get quests and then come back through the same environments to turn them in.

It was a noble effort, but I think it really would have done better if they'd released it on console as well.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Games You've Missed Out On