Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Stem Cell Breakthrough

RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Nov 21, 2007, 03:54 AM Local time: Nov 21, 2007, 03:54 AM 1 #1 of 12
Stem Cell Breakthrough

Most excellent.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071121/ap_on_sc/stem_cells

Quote:
Scientists have created the equivalent of embryonic stem cells from ordinary skin cells, a breakthrough that could someday produce new treatments for disease without the explosive moral questions of embyro cloning.

Research teams in the United States and Japan showed that a simple lab technique can rival the complex and highly controversial idea of extracting stem cells from cloned embryos.
This news is music to my ears. Finally, a method for stem cell research that everyone can agree upon.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Decoy Goat
25 to life on probation

Member 650

Level 16.06

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2007, 05:52 PM 2 #2 of 12
stem cells from babies still taste better though and I think will continue to be a luxury item for celebrities for decades to come.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I <3 Cheryl.
Max POWER
My style is impetuous

Member 7000

Level 17.86

May 2006

Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:30 PM Local time: Nov 21, 2007, 10:30 PM #3 of 12
Well, I want to hear more about this before I think it's a perfect alternative to embryonic stem cells. There were alternatives before this "breakthrough", and they don't work very well. They behave differently than stem cells from cloned embryos, and don't transform predictably into the desired cells when they're worked with.

Originally Posted by The article goes on to say
End of problem? Not unless these altered skin cells can truly replace embryonic cells, and that's not clear yet, a prominent scientist says.

I'm amazed at the ethicists" saying the problem of needing embryos has been solved, Berg said. "We're not in the clear — this is a first step."

"My guess is that we'll find that there are significant differences," said Dr. Robert Lanza of Advanced Cell Technology, which has been trying to produce stem cells from cloned human embryos. "I'd be surprised if these cells can do all the same tricks as well as stem cells derived from embryos."
I have no doubt that in the next decade or two, we'll begin to see treatments that rely on using stem cells of some sort to grow new tissues for people who need them, but the first treatments aren't going to happen in the States. We're in the dark ages when it comes to stem cell research.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2007, 02:47 AM 1 #4 of 12
Here's a better article on the topic:

Pharyngula: Stem cell breakthrough

A few key points:

* This method could not have been discovered in America (with government money) because it required study of embryonic cells
* The method is not perfect, and introduces many potential mutations
* The cells generated by this method CANNOT BE USED IN TREATMENTS

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Nov 22, 2007, 03:04 AM #5 of 12
Finally, a method for stem cell research that everyone can agree upon.
I'm putting money down right now that somebody (more than likely a Southern Republican Catholic woman with a bug up her ass) will bitch about it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Eric
Carob Nut

Member 825

Level 5.82

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2007, 09:46 PM #6 of 12
I just hope think keep developing on this. I wish the US government would fund stem cell research better. I know if I have a failing organ someday, I'd like to be able to have my own personal replacement.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Traveller87
UNDER PROBATION

Member 26124

Level 9.15

Nov 2007

Old Nov 23, 2007, 01:54 PM Local time: Nov 23, 2007, 07:54 PM #7 of 12
I do hope they keep developing this, but at the moment, it doesn't look like these cells will be suitable for any kind of treatment. So I would simultaneously develop stem cell research using embryonic cells.

FELIPE NO
Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Nov 24, 2007, 06:50 PM #8 of 12
I'm putting money down right now that somebody (more than likely a Southern Republican Catholic woman with a bug up her ass) will bitch about it.
Though it isn't putting life in danger, any act of "playing God" like growing tissue groups or even complex organs is a touchy issue. It doesn't even have to be a "God" issue, either. If you view embryonic cells (and by extension, embryos) as life, that means lives were lost for this research to take place, and that's what people will have an issue with. I realize I'm taking this issue to a bit of an extreme here, but if the former is true the question then is: do the ends justify the means? Does the fact that a few lives were lost balance out with many times more saved in future?

Personally, I think this is a step in the right direction; the very fact that time and money were put into a way to utilize stem cells that eventually won't harm living things shows that there is at least a little morality in the scientific community. Although, embryonic cells *were* used in this process, it may eventually turn into something very beneficial. But, as was said, the process is hardly perfected anyway. I will say this, though: if I were dying and someone offered me an organ derived from this research, I'd take it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Paper Crane
Defending the universe since 1999

Member 21283

Level 6.41

Mar 2007

Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:10 AM #9 of 12
Does the fact that a few lives were lost balance out with many times more saved in future?
A fair bit of modern western medicine is based on animal and human experimentation. If we do not support the idea of doing so, how can we justify using the discoveries? We have been justifying the past, not to do so in the present and future seems hypocritical.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Traveller87
UNDER PROBATION

Member 26124

Level 9.15

Nov 2007

Old Nov 25, 2007, 08:36 AM Local time: Nov 25, 2007, 02:36 PM #10 of 12
To me, the short answer is: No, ends do not always justify means, but saving actual life, an established life with self-awareness, social relationships, etc. is superior to saving a bundle of cells, which wouldn't exist, if it weren't for that specific purpose, anyway.

Most amazing jew boots
Paper Crane
Defending the universe since 1999

Member 21283

Level 6.41

Mar 2007

Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:57 PM #11 of 12
which wouldn't exist, if it weren't for that specific purpose, anyway.
I'm going out on a limb here, but if you use the cells in a person, the cells are alive. You therefor save both the cells and the person. We could look at this as research into saving cells that would be usually thrown away and eventually die.

How ya doing, buddy?
Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Nov 26, 2007, 06:50 PM #12 of 12
That's a fair position. Regardless of whether the cells would grow into a human being or simply restorative tissue, they *can* serve a purpose. I think we can all agree that the general purpose of this research is to make life better for everyone, it's simply an issue of how we achieve that goal with the minimal amount of human (or in this case, pre-human) suffering. Do we have a right to toy with the base substances of life, even if our intentions are good? I think the answer is yes, but *only* if we never lose sight of why we are performing this research in the first place: to give every person the chance to experience a long life uninhibited by physical restraints or disease. As long as we put ethics first (IE, continually develop methods that decrease the reliance on human cells), I think the expense is worth it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Stem Cell Breakthrough