Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

'Default Programs'

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:07 PM #1 of 3
'Default Programs'

This is my second try at Vista Ultimate... I had it before, but went to Ubuntu for a while, but now I'm back on Windows. And I'm having the same problem as before. My Default Programs panel keeps 'reverting' to... well, 'default', and removes what I tell it to do.

The main issue is with .bmp, .gif, and .png. I have Adobe CS3 installed, so these files are now set to open in Photoshop/Fireworks CS3, instead of the Windows Image Viewer. I've changed it BACK to the Image Viewer using the 'Open With...' command, and checking off the 'Always use this program' option, plus I've tried setting Image Viewer as the default in the Control Panel, and also tried changing it via the file extensions panel in Default Programs. The file extensions will always revert back to CS3, though. I'm not sure what triggers it.

This is annoying, because I could be looking through images using the previewer, and then suddenly... BAM! Photoshop or Fireworks are suddenly loading up. Now while this only takes a minute or so, it's still really annoying.

That's the MAIN issue. The other part is the other file extensions I've customized also seem to drop what I tell them to do. Example: I've set '.db' files, as well as '.nfo' files to open in Notepad. While I know that in XP, .nfo wouldn't work if you changed it, I've had some success in Vista. They'll open in Notepad on double-click, but again, something is making them revert to default. And the thing is, with .db files... there IS no default.

This is pretty frustrating... Has anyone else experienced this? Or know of a fix? Please help~

Another thing I should mention is that IE7 keeps setting itself as the default browser, for some reason. I'm a Firefox user, and almost every time I open Firefox, it prompts me to set it as default. I AM clicking 'Yes', but for some reason it still asks frequently.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Oct 7, 2007, 02:07 AM Local time: Oct 7, 2007, 12:07 AM #2 of 3
I imagine the problem with Photoshop is that there's a setting within the program to retain image associations. So whenever you set it some background process that Adobe is running will switch it back (or it'll steal associations back when you launch the program). Try hunting around the options in there to fix that problem.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Oct 7, 2007, 08:39 AM #3 of 3
I checked those out, and didn't find anything about file extensions or anything.

The thing is, it's not just the image extensions... Like the .db files and the browser defaults, for example. It's like the Default Programs panel has its own system restore, and resets itself every so often.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > 'Default Programs'