Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] (StarCraft 2) Apparently Blizzard Still Makes Games!

Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 06:03 PM Local time: May 16, 2007, 01:03 AM #26 of 188
Ever since I finished C&C3 with the Scrin, I had the urge to play Starcraft again. A second Starcraft (btw - whatever game it is, we won't see it until 2009 (late 2008 perhaps), mark my words) would be wonderful.

A new MMORPG would be plain stupid, I'm sure everyone agrees on that. Why destroy the cash-machine named WoW?

Besides, since starcraft2.com seems to exist and is showing the same flash screen (the guys at diablo3.com seem to be anxious as well) - I doubt it'll be anything else but just SC2.

I'd love another game though, but would it be worth it for Blizzard?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
ApOcaLyPSe_1985
Wiivolution

Member 1331

Level 13.75

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 06:07 PM Local time: May 16, 2007, 01:07 AM #27 of 188
I would really like to see a new Diablo but I think the demand for Starcraft is much greater. Hopefully they will grant my wish

Shame about SC:Ghost though, it started to look pretty sweet.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Fight Nintendo! For everlasting peace!
Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 08:11 PM #28 of 188
Blizzard have lost their soul since they released World of Warcraft. I myself was part of the collective for a while, but I broke the chains that bound me.

They didn't release games a terrible lot, but when you played those few games they did make, you noticed straight away the amount of effort that was put into the game. This was all lost when they wreaked WoW upon this world.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is something related to WoW. That's all that's on their minds these days. If by some miracle it's not, then I'll actually be impressed. It's about time they redeemed themselfs.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Soldier: Prepare yourself, rebel scum!!

Arngrim : (These slipshod soldiers think they can call me "rebel scum"?)
Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 09:41 PM Local time: May 15, 2007, 09:41 PM #29 of 188
They put 4+ years of development into World of Warcraft. The original product was amazing. But the development teams and the "maintenance" teams are two very different things at Blizzard. The lead developers don't necessarily have their hands all over what's going on with World of Warcraft anymore. I'd be willing to bet that those most responsible for the majority of WoW's early development have been working on this new project since WoW's release, and a separate set of developers are responsible for the expansion (which I believe ruined WoW).

I wouldn't doubt that it'd be some sort of high-number 3rd person over the shoulder strategy game based on Starcraft. Think...World of Warcraft battlegrounds, starring Starcraft characters...with more than two teams. It could be quite cool, or it could be terrible.

Or perhaps it's a new license altogether? I'm sure Vivendi is willing to let Blizz develop whatever the hell they want after making the company a couple hundred million dollars on WoW.

I was speaking idiomatically.
<@a_lurker> I like zeal better than guru.
<@a_lurker> There, I said it, I'm not taking it back.
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 10:17 PM Local time: May 15, 2007, 10:17 PM #30 of 188
Blizzard have lost their soul since they released World of Warcraft. I myself was part of the collective for a while, but I broke the chains that bound me.

They didn't release games a terrible lot, but when you played those few games they did make, you noticed straight away the amount of effort that was put into the game. This was all lost when they wreaked WoW upon this world.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is something related to WoW. That's all that's on their minds these days. If by some miracle it's not, then I'll actually be impressed. It's about time they redeemed themselfs.
The thing is, their drone of a player base would buy anything they throw out there.

And Grawl, they're notorious for delays. Probably the worst I've seen (spare Duke Nukem Forever). Compare it to any Zelda. Any Metroid, any Unreal game. 2010.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Lord Jaroh
It's all about being a Newbie

Member 2072

Level 13.42

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 10:51 PM Local time: May 15, 2007, 10:51 PM #31 of 188
From what I seem to remember a while back was a report from Vivendi discussing the upcoming future of Blizzard games for sequels. The two most obvious choices (Diablo and Starcraft) were both under a "highly probable" column for MMOs, with "true" sequels given a very poor chance.

My guess is that Starcraft 2 will come out and it will be World of Starcraft. Or they may surprise us and do both, with Starcraft 2 being first to drum up interest before announcing an online version (much like what they did for War 3 and WoW, if I remember correctly).

I'm not giving much hope to true to form sequels for those two games, even though I love them to death as pretty much all of the guys for DII have left for their own company (which is why I'm going to be picking up Hellgate: London), and I believe the ones responsible for Starcraft were the same people.

FELIPE NO
Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 07:29 AM #32 of 188
I heard that rumor as well, but I very much doubt it. They wouldn't dare to make another MMO because that would cut away players from WoW.

I want a Starcraft sequel just as much as anyone else, but only if it's done right. It's been nearly 10 years since the original came out, and it's still popular this day. It's a big shoe to fill, that's for sure.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Soldier: Prepare yourself, rebel scum!!

Arngrim : (These slipshod soldiers think they can call me "rebel scum"?)
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 10:16 AM Local time: May 16, 2007, 08:16 AM #33 of 188
I think if an MMO Starcraft is gonna come out, they'd continue with their sorta naming convention and call it "World of Starcraft," not "Starcraft 2 or II." If it's a "Starcraft 2," it'll be an RTS. <3

Jam it back in, in the dark.
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 10:49 AM Local time: May 16, 2007, 10:49 AM #34 of 188
The reason a Starcraft version of WoW would work is because the game won't be out for a few more years still. It'll be given a year, then use the Blizzard delay method to add 1.5 more years to it.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 12:38 PM Local time: May 16, 2007, 10:38 AM #35 of 188
The thing is, their drone of a player base would buy anything they throw out there.

And Grawl, they're notorious for delays. Probably the worst I've seen (spare Duke Nukem Forever). Compare it to any Zelda. Any Metroid, any Unreal game. 2010.
Heh, last night my friends and I were joking they were going to announce Duke Nukem Forever since they take forever on their development times. Anyone else have the insert in their SC CD case for Diablo 2 with a scheduled release date, like, two years before when it actually happened?

Also, for anyone that cares, I just got an e-mail from EBGames this morning, and Hellgate: London has been pushed back from the beginning of September to the last day of October (lollin at how it's Blizzard people working on this too).

speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 05:29 PM Local time: May 16, 2007, 04:29 PM #36 of 188
Hmm... Blizzard is out to make a buck. The new Nintendo system has wireless built-in and an nifty Internet browser.

World of Wiicraft anyone?

Most amazing jew boots
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 05:37 PM Local time: May 16, 2007, 04:37 PM #37 of 188

O, please don't let me interrupt. Please continue your ever so important speculations. Even though they've basically said it's going to be a starcraft based MMORPG. Or the fact that your economics make no sense because if they pull fanbase from WoW it still contributes money to the same company, oh, and that it would draw back in a lot of people who had left WoW. Right. But it's a bad economic model. Please, continue. You're making STUNNING points here.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 06:04 PM Local time: May 16, 2007, 04:04 PM #38 of 188
If they're developing a system that's hoping to appeal to the same base as WoW it is kinda not the best thing for them since they'll have to support two different MMORPG server systems, have two separate dev teams for very similar projects, and most likely won't draw many people that weren't into MMOs to start with.

Of course, since it is Blizzard, if a game is announced they'll probably have plenty of time to phase out WoW before anything gets released.

Oh, and to whoever said MMORPGs aren't popular in Korea; aren't games like RO and the hundreds of other similar ones (ROSE Online and Maplestory to name two that I regret playing) popular over there?

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2007, 09:06 PM Local time: May 16, 2007, 08:06 PM #39 of 188
O, please don't let me interrupt. Please continue your ever so important speculations. Even though they've basically said it's going to be a starcraft based MMORPG. Or the fact that your economics make no sense because if they pull fanbase from WoW it still contributes money to the same company, oh, and that it would draw back in a lot of people who had left WoW. Right. But it's a bad economic model. Please, continue. You're making STUNNING points here.
There's still money to be made from Burning Crusade; not everyone who will buy the box has it already. The game itself is hardly on the decline; WoW is still picking up new subscribers.

If they announce World of Starcraft now, people who haven't bought the expansion yet are going to hold back and save their money for this shiny new game that's coming along, even if World of Starcraft is two years away. People who might have been thinking about joining in on the WoW bandwagon will wait for the new game. Existing players who are bigger fans of Starcraft will jump ship and cancel their subscriptions before the game is even out, leaving a gap where Blizzard does not get their money.

It's not at all in Blizzard's best interest to release World of Starcraft until interest in WoW has waned to the point where subscription numbers start to significantly taper off. There are plenty of people who Blizzard hasn't tapped for money yet who would be scared off by the announcement of a new MMO at this time.

FELIPE NO
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 02:51 AM Local time: May 17, 2007, 03:51 PM #40 of 188
World of Starcraft? What the fuck! it's set in outer space.

I bet $100 it's UNIVERSE of Starcraft!
Comming 2009! (but delayed until 2010.

Heres the deal guys, and I don't meant to adress all of you, I'm talking squarly to that idiot Monkey King. Vivendi own Blizzard, Vivendi love the ridiculous revenue WoW generates. WoW is not forever, if Blizzard don't provide the next big MMO, someone else will.

AND GUESS WHAT! Just becuase they announce it Saturday, doesn't mean it gets released on Sunday. 2 years, maybe 3 to go.

Last edited by RABicle; May 17, 2007 at 02:53 AM.
Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 03:20 AM #41 of 188
Blizzard was my favorite game company.... but not after 2002.... bleh.

Flagship is the company now!

Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 03:34 AM Local time: May 17, 2007, 03:34 AM #42 of 188
I still think that the Starcraft MMO is going to incorporate a little more of the tactical strategy inherent to the original game. It probably won't be as story-driven as World of Warcraft. Meaning, more player versus player, controllable maps, people influencing the game world climate.

Blizzard and Vivendi want people to subscribe to both WoW and the Starcraft MMO, not just one or the other. I think in order for that to happen, they know that they'll have to make the games just different enough to keep the interest of their subscribers with both products.

<@a_lurker> I like zeal better than guru.
<@a_lurker> There, I said it, I'm not taking it back.
Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 06:04 PM Local time: May 17, 2007, 03:04 PM #43 of 188
Maybe the announcement will be that they've finally finished Ghost.

Though honestly I'm praying for a Starcraft 2. A Starcraft MMO would just be kinda... iffy. I'd only buy it if its monthy payments were tied with WoW's, that way when you pay for a month you have a month to freely jump between WoW or Starcraft. But somehow I doubt it'll happen. Also considering the fact that the announcement is being made in Korea, the land of Starcraft, I think it definitely seals the deal on the fact that its going to be a starcraft game of some sort.

Comon Starcraft 2!

speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 06:24 PM Local time: May 17, 2007, 05:24 PM #44 of 188
It's not at all in Blizzard's best interest to release World of Starcraft until interest in WoW has waned to the point where subscription numbers start to significantly taper off. There are plenty of people who Blizzard hasn't tapped for money yet who would be scared off by the announcement of a new MMO at this time.
World of Warcraft expanded the mmo genre to non-mmo players. Why couldn't Universe of Starcraft do the same and expand the actual market which wouldn't necessarily pull players from WoW? I know a few people who like fantasy but not sci-fi and vice-versa after all...

Most amazing jew boots
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 06:49 PM Local time: May 18, 2007, 01:49 AM #45 of 188
I think the Starcraft franchise isn't ready for a MMO. All we got was a game and an expansion, whereas Warcraft had three games plus expansions. I just can't picture Starcraft being a MMO.

Then again, a MMO is a great way to expand the universe.

Thoughts~

I just want a single player experience. I don't really care for online gaming too much.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 07:29 PM #46 of 188
New Diablo plzkthxbye

YeOldeButchere
Smoke. Peat. Delicious.

Member 246

Level 21.94

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2007, 11:17 PM #47 of 188
To all the people hoping for a new Diablo, fuck you. You guys got Diablo II in 2000, I'm still waiting for Starcraft 2 after nearly 10 motherfucking years. That's a decade. A tenth of a goddamn century. So I think it's time for a sequel.

FELIPE NO
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2007, 03:12 AM Local time: May 18, 2007, 02:12 AM #48 of 188
Heres the deal guys, and I don't meant to adress all of you, I'm talking squarly to that idiot Monkey King. Vivendi own Blizzard, Vivendi love the ridiculous revenue WoW generates. WoW is not forever, if Blizzard don't provide the next big MMO, someone else will.

AND GUESS WHAT! Just becuase they announce it Saturday, doesn't mean it gets released on Sunday. 2 years, maybe 3 to go.
I didn't say they'd never make a Starcraft MMO, just that they'd be stupid to do so right now. Companies do, on occasion, make dumb decisions.

Also, the game would indeed be 2-3 years away from the announcement. It doesn't matter. People are stupid and hasty. They won't buy the expansion because they'll then be in wait mode for the Starcraft game, percieving that it's not worth investing that much in a game they'll be dropping in favor of the new shiny.

Facts don't matter, the perception does. 2-3 years may be a long time, but they're just numbers to most people. To further clarify:

Originally Posted by speculative
World of Warcraft expanded the mmo genre to non-mmo players. Why couldn't Universe of Starcraft do the same and expand the actual market which wouldn't necessarily pull players from WoW? I know a few people who like fantasy but not sci-fi and vice-versa after all...
WoW indeed greatly expanded the MMO audience, but only because of Battle.net. The people they pulled into the genre were pre-existing Blizzard fans, who are legion. What happened was that Blizzard built up such a reputation that people were willing to try any game with the Blizzard logo on it regardless of genre, and thus non-MMO players got sucked in. I think you'll find that relatively few of the people introduced to MMOs by World of Warcraft weren't already playing Starcraft or Diablo on Battle.net.

This is why it's not such a good idea to announce a Starcraft MMO now, while WoW is still a hot property. It only makes sense when people in large numbers start to truly get tired of the game, and aren't willing to pay Blizzard their monthly fee anymore. Giving them something new, shiny, and novel to attract their attention brings them back into the fold and spending money on a Blizzard MMO again.

If anything, Starcraft 2 makes even more sense in light of the previous points.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 18, 2007, 11:33 AM Local time: May 18, 2007, 09:33 AM #49 of 188
How many people play online games and never gave Starcraft or Diablo a shot? The only people I can think of are FPS gamers and they might get their chance with the Hellgate: London character where you play it like a FPS.

(Also, for the record, I played SC, BW, and D2 forever and I never tried WoW. My old online hangout before Gamingforce was the Open Tech Support channel on b.net. A bunch of us in the channel actually got invites to E3 as guests from Blizzard but I was only around 13 or 14 so my parents wouldn't let me go. )

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2007, 11:57 AM #50 of 188
Honestly, how many people here would be stunned if it were another Warcraft RTS?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] (StarCraft 2) Apparently Blizzard Still Makes Games!