Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

'God Of War 2' For Playstation 2

Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:08 AM #1 of 72
'God Of War 2' For Playstation 2

There was a leaked Sony Marketing document posted at Eurogamer last month outlining several new PS2 and PSP titles including Gran Turismo 4 Online, Killzone Liberation for PSP as well as GoW2 for the PS2. Sony quickly had the article taken down but the new issue of Game Informer breaks the exclusive on God Of War 2.

Some low res scans...

Scheduled for a February 2007 release in the US.
Quote:
In development at SCEA Santa Monica, as before, God of War 2 will see players take on the role of Kratos once more as he trots off in search of vengeance against the gods of Mount Olympus.

He'll use his blade as a grapple to cross chasms and pull objects to ground, fight on ceilings and walls (with an improved climbing system), wield new magical abilities in combat and battle various iconic figures from ancient Greek history.

Along the way, players will defeat Icarus and claim his wings as a tool to glide with, gain the ability to ride Pegasus, discover the Amulet of Fate and Golden Fleece to earn special powers, and wield weapons including the Hammer, Bone Sword and Medusa's Head.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Simo; Mar 12, 2006 at 12:11 AM.
Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:34 AM #2 of 72
Nice! I loved the first game. Here's hoping they make it a bit longer this time though. I completed the first one in about 3 sittings.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:39 AM #3 of 72
Why schedule it for 2007 and release it for lastgen (PS2)?

I think it ran on a bit too long the first time... Besides, after fighting the Hydra at the very beginning, the game got less and less interesting, even though it was fun all the way through.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:43 AM #4 of 72
The first GoW is one of the best action games ever made, period. Here's hoping they can stay on target with numero dos.

How ya doing, buddy?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:59 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 03:59 PM #5 of 72
Originally Posted by Eleo
Probably because there's more crazy fun bucks to be made on PS2, what with seven hundred zillion people owning one. Unless everyone throws them in the bin the instant PS3 launches.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 01:08 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 10:08 PM #6 of 72
Sounds and looks interesting, but I wasn't at all very impressed with God of War. The combat system felt limiting and (I don't mean to sound like a huge fanboy, beyond the fact...) slower than what I was used to with Devil May Cry. There was nothing revolutionary or specially innovative about the gameplay. In addition, the Greek mythology thing just seems kind of worn out. Kratos' badass/emo attitude annoyed me.

That aside, I hope they improve the combo system. While there is variety in his moves, everything felt loose and a bit unresponsive. I'd like to give the game another try, but it's not on the top of my list of "must play" games.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Onyx
Chocobo

Member 384

Level 10.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 01:09 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 12:09 AM #7 of 72
What makes me REALLY, REALLY happy is the fact that its being released next year instead of this year. Usually developers face tough deadlines and have to come out with a final product in less than a year. The fact that they're getting a little more time can only be a good thing.

Although it is a little too early to be revealing any information, don't you think? People are going to get hyped and hyped. SCEA's pulling a Square Enix on us.

FELIPE NO
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 01:09 AM #8 of 72
I still have yet to beat the first one. I'm defenitely going to get this game when it comes out. By what i'm seeing, it looks great.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 02:02 AM #9 of 72
I hope the story is as good in this one. I could have sworn they were going to go with another story though (see GoW extras after you beat the game to know what im talking about)

How ya doing, buddy?
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 02:18 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 01:18 AM #10 of 72
I recently beat the first GOW and was definitely impressed. I really didn't think that it was going to live up to the hype, but it was pretty awesome. The only thing about the GOW that I really didn't like was the character design on Kratos. He's a cool character, but he looks like a rip off of quan chi from the MK games. Can't wait for more GOW action.

Most amazing jew boots
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 02:52 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 09:52 AM #11 of 72
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Lewis
Kratos' badass/emo attitude annoyed me.
However, Krato's attitude was justified. He killed his entire family. I would be sad/angry too.
I hope that Dave Jaffe has a finger or two in the development. I would really hate this to be nothing more than a cash cow.

Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 03:16 AM #12 of 72
Originally Posted by Kilroy
However, Krato's attitude was justified. He killed his entire family. I would be sad/angry too.
I hope that Dave Jaffe has a finger or two in the development. I would really hate this to be nothing more than a cash cow.
bad news then I guess, i just checked his blog: http://www.davidjaffe.typepad.com/

and it seems he was working on some untitled PSP game and not GoW2...this doesnt mean he may not be "supervising" or anythign..but GoW2 seems more like a cash cow now =(. I still wanna know how the story is gonna pan out though...GoW had a definite ending and I was thoroughly satisfied..too bad Sony cant end things were their supposed to end anymore =(

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 03:41 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 09:41 PM #13 of 72
Originally Posted by Eleo
Because after the PS3 is released people will still make games for the PS2? :/

If God of War 2 is anything like the original then I will definitely buy it. I just hope they don't end up having screens and screens of combos and moves to learn.

The first game was really good, the only part of it which really slowed down was finding pandora's box. I still find greek mythology really interesting.

How ya doing, buddy?
LivingDreams
Chocobo

Member 520

Level 14.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 05:04 AM #14 of 72
Wtf the new issue of gameinformer is out already? Shit they always send it late to me, even tho they release it early in the month.

RYU
Hoshi X Hayabusa

Member 173

Level 33.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:38 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 06:38 PM #15 of 72
we hear rumor before from EGM will release GOW2 on PS2 and GOW3 on PS3.now are become true.but I'm still happen to play GOW2 on my PS2.

FELIPE NO
Enter User Name
Chocobo

Member 510

Level 11.74

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:32 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 09:32 AM #16 of 72
Originally Posted by Infernal Monkey
Probably because there's more crazy fun bucks to be made on PS2, what with seven hundred zillion people owning one. Unless everyone throws them in the bin the instant PS3 launches.
It would probably make more money in the long run if they just waited and released it on PS3. Once PS3 is out, not as many people are going to be buying new PS2 games. I don't think God of War was a mega seller anyway. So GOW2 is only going to sell less copies on PS2. And if it came out for PS3, once people got their PS3s they would buy this game if its good, so it would sell tons. Plus, you have to take into account that they are not going to selling this game for $50 once PS3 comes out, it will most likely go down for $40 or less. If they sell it new for $60 on PS3, they are making at least an extra $20 for each copy. That's huge money.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:41 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 11:41 AM #17 of 72
I'm glad that Sony's still going to support the PS2 post-PS3 launch, unlike Microsoft's lack of Xbox support post-360.

Even still....God of War in high-def would be really sweet, especially with the PS3 graphics, first-generation or not. You'd think Kratos was bloodlusting after your own head!

And Enter, God of War was a pretty big seller, big enough to get on the Greatest Hits list. Besides, with all the recognition it's received, there was no doubt there'd be a sequel.

I think Sony has a strategy for releasing it on the PS2, but it's one that comes with a grim reminder of the looming PS3 price tag. God of War 2 will likely sell more on the PS2 because not many people will have a PS3 at launch, if it's anything like the 360's launch. Plus, if the system does come out of the gate with a hefty price tag, that could delay major sales even longer, in spite of what games are released.

Releasing it on the PS2 would allow Sony to continue to bring in profits while falling behind on the PS3's profit-loss. I think they see this as a counterweight to that problem.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:55 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 01:55 PM #18 of 72
It's surprising that the game is for PS2 and not PS3. It could easily have been used to "sell" the PS3 as a killer app. Anyways, I'm glad, this way I'll definitely be able to play it. :biggrin:

Most amazing jew boots
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:05 PM #19 of 72
Originally Posted by Enter User Name
It would probably make more money in the long run if they just waited and released it on PS3. Once PS3 is out, not as many people are going to be buying new PS2 games. I don't think God of War was a mega seller anyway. So GOW2 is only going to sell less copies on PS2. And if it came out for PS3, once people got their PS3s they would buy this game if its good, so it would sell tons. Plus, you have to take into account that they are not going to selling this game for $50 once PS3 comes out, it will most likely go down for $40 or less. If they sell it new for $60 on PS3, they are making at least an extra $20 for each copy. That's huge money.
PS2 still has plenty of life left in it and considering the amount of PS2 units sold and owned it's no surprise a sequel to a best selling Sony IP is on the PS2. We don't even know if the PS3 will even end up launching in the US this year anyways and the chances are that if the PS3 does come at the end of 2006 most gamers will most likely turn to their extensive library of PS2 games they own and new titles if the PS3 launch lineup sucks.

Afterall Final Fantasy IX being released on or shortly after the launch of the PS2 in the US didn't hurt it's sales which sold over a million copies.

Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 03:13 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 01:13 AM #20 of 72
Simo:When you come across high res scans,post them too.I want to read details.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 03:35 PM #21 of 72
Originally Posted by Enter User Name
Let's think about this though. PS3. At least $700 on launch day. Only the hardcore fans would buy it on launch day. Give or take 1000 people (i'm just making random numbers). So let's say that 1000 people in the US are the lucky ones to get a PS3 because of a major shortage in machines (*cough360cough*) and God of War 2 comes out for the PS3 only.

What's gonna hurt the sales more? Releasing it on PS3 with a small group of people who own the system, or releasing it on the PS2 where there's still a huge audience wanting to play their favorite game, while waiting for the PS3's price to drop?

And if God of War isn't a mega seller, explain to me why it's a Greatest Hit now.

There's just so much I could shoot down in your post... The XBOX 360 is out, they're still releasing games for the XBOX. You still have a huge crowd of people who own an XBOX. Why let a good system fall when your last gen system could still do just as well as your current gen. You're a complete idiot thinking people would stop buying PS2 games because the PS3 is out. Not everyone owns a PS3 yet.

I know i'm repeating details, but live with me. I needed to rant.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Lord Jaroh
It's all about being a Newbie

Member 2072

Level 13.42

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 03:47 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 03:47 PM #22 of 72
As long as it continues the greatness of the first game, this will be another great must have game for my collection.

sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 04:01 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 01:01 PM #23 of 72
Originally Posted by Chaotic
And if God of War isn't a mega seller, explain to me why it's a Greatest Hit now.
Is it? Then why does eveyone still sell if for $50?

FELIPE NO
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 04:32 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 04:32 PM #24 of 72
Who's everyone? We're (EB) selling it for $20. Got our first shipment a few days ago.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 04:38 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 04:38 PM #25 of 72
Hooray! =D I loved GoWI. But my PS2 memory card shitcanned for some reason shortly before the final battle. Could someone divulge the ending to me in spoilers?

Spoiler:
I know you fight Kratos' inner-demons and save his family then fight mono a mono with Ares after being uber-sized. What happens after the duel?

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > 'God Of War 2' For Playstation 2