Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

(Another) "My DVD won't play!" problem

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2006, 08:07 PM Local time: May 29, 2006, 08:07 PM #1 of 12
(Another) "My DVD won't play!" problem

I've always been a fan of using MPC for everything, with the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.5.0.3 as my assistant in ensuring everything works well. Somehow, all my media players won't play DVDs correctly. I hear the audio skipping and I find the whole movie slows down, from disk or image. I've reinstalled MPC and the codecs, same problem. In some cases, the disks skip a second here or there as if it was damaged, but I put a brand new movie in and got the same problem. It never happened before on my nVidia card. :\

Any suggestions or silimar incidents?

A few specs:
Windows 2000 SP4, 1.5 GB PC2100 RAM, ATI X1600 AGP, 10-20% CPU usage

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2006, 09:00 PM Local time: May 29, 2006, 07:00 PM #2 of 12
Originally Posted by Lukage
I've always been a fan of using MPC for everything, with the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.5.0.3 as my assistant in ensuring everything works well. Somehow, all my media players won't play DVDs correctly. I hear the audio skipping and I find the whole movie slows down, from disk or image. I've reinstalled MPC and the codecs, same problem. In some cases, the disks skip a second here or there as if it was damaged, but I put a brand new movie in and got the same problem. It never happened before on my nVidia card. :\

Any suggestions or silimar incidents?

A few specs:
Windows 2000 SP4, 1.5 GB PC2100 RAM, ATI X1600 AGP, 10-20% CPU usage
Run (and crack) AnyDVD, it helps MPC play DVDs perfectly when it has problems. Hell, it makes the discontinued DVDDecrypter still relevant as well!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2006, 09:14 PM Local time: May 29, 2006, 09:14 PM #3 of 12
I forgot to add that, "DVD Player" opens saying "While setting up DVD-Player feedback, it was found that * Subpicture will not be available during playback.

Do you want to continue?"

Yes opens "DVD Player" and No doesn't do anything.

Same problem. This doesn't do anything. Here's the "Show information" window:

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 5.9.6.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2097488 sectors (4096 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: HG2
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.

Double Post:
I should also note that the farther into a movie, the worse the skipping gets.

Double Post:
Now I notice the mplayerc.exe is using between 30 and 60% CPU and jumps around. The Memory Usage is still only 19,000

:\

Double Post:
Turns out it's just an issue with MPC. No idea yet why reinstalling the player and codecs doesn't change much.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Lukage; May 30, 2006 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Luxo
Hey! Listen!

Member 2675

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:05 PM Local time: Jun 10, 2006, 09:05 PM #4 of 12
Why don't you just use BSplayer as a temporary solution? If it doesn't work then maybe something's wrong with the DVD player.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Vibrate
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 05:19 PM Local time: Jun 11, 2006, 05:19 PM #5 of 12
I've tried with MPC, Media Player 9, WinDVD, the Windows DVD player...uhhhhhhhhh.......

they all seem to do the same thing. Then again, I did get a new video card (AGP X1600Pro 512MB) and a few strange things have happened. I just don't know where to start with that as far as fixing DVD playback.

I was speaking idiomatically.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:50 AM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 09:50 AM #6 of 12
I'd recommend a version of FFdShow over your K-Lite codec Pack. I use FFdShow, and MPC and have little/no problems. You can get a version of FFdShow here. Try this and get back to us.

Also, make sure in the MPC options that you try different rendering settings. (ie. System Default, Overlay, VMR7, VMR9 etc.)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
spikeh
Chocobo

Member 1808

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:02 PM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 05:02 PM #7 of 12
I'd expect that K-Lite pack has broken compabitilty and harmony between the different codecs and filters. Either manually download ffdshow and splitters or download CCCP (includes ffdshow, Haali's splitter, etc) which sets it all up for you. Make sure you thoroughly delete everything else before you install it. If you have already tried that many players, I doubt it's the player at fault.

Also, make sure your video drivers are fully up to date.

FELIPE NO
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:07 PM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 12:07 PM #8 of 12
Originally Posted by Dayvon
I'd recommend a version of FFdShow over your K-Lite codec Pack. I use FFdShow, and MPC and have little/no problems. You can get a version of FFdShow here. Try this and get back to us.

Also, make sure in the MPC options that you try different rendering settings. (ie. System Default, Overlay, VMR7, VMR9 etc.)

Almost positive K-Lite has ffdshow. Although, I never see the tray icon for it anymore...hmm.

And yeah, I tried the View-->Options setting to change all the different playback settings, no dice.

Originally Posted by spikeh
I'd expect that K-Lite pack has broken compabitilty and harmony between the different codecs and filters. Either manually download ffdshow and splitters or download CCCP (includes ffdshow, Haali's splitter, etc) which sets it all up for you. Make sure you thoroughly delete everything else before you install it. If you have already tried that many players, I doubt it's the player at fault.

Also, make sure your video drivers are fully up to date.
I actually got the CCCP the other night, but it doesn't do much for me. I've reinstalled the video card and drivers a few times. I might go talk to the manufacturers of the video card next since it doesn't seem to be a software issue (I KNOW they'll say its the software).

"But sir, you're telling me EVERY piece of software I use to watch DVDs is bad? Tell me what YOU use!"

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 01:03 PM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 07:03 PM #9 of 12
Have you tried VLC? After a format I only need install VLC and it'll play DVDs without me installing any codec packs. With VLC + CCCP I haven't come across anything yet that I can't play.

How ya doing, buddy?
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 01:46 PM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 01:46 PM #10 of 12
Originally Posted by Roph
Have you tried VLC? After a format I only need install VLC and it'll play DVDs without me installing any codec packs. With VLC + CCCP I haven't come across anything yet that I can't play.
VLC isn't as bad, but its still choppy. I'll call the card manufacturer. Thanks for the suggestions up to here, but I've pretty much covered all of those. I'll report back when they respond.

How ya doing, buddy?
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:31 AM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 11:31 AM #11 of 12
Well, anyone wanna buy an AGP X1600 512MB Video Card? It seems that I can't get it replaced because its "not broken."

"Just play with the Catalyst Settings until the issue is fixed." Oh, and it won't start AGP.

(In other words, Fuck You Diamond tech support)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:05 PM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 12:05 PM #12 of 12
I've resolved the issue in everything but MPC now...and I've tried changing all the playback settings. No dice. Seems that reinstalling the chipset drivers helped. If nobody else has any other suggestions, I'll close this up and deem it an unsolvable problem.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > (Another) "My DVD won't play!" problem