Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

HOW TO: rip music, sound effects, or movies from PS1 & PS2 games

KuraiNeko
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 20048

Level 1.00

Feb 2007

Old Feb 23, 2007, 06:49 AM Local time: Feb 23, 2007, 11:49 AM #26 of 62
Anyone here familiar with the .IMC audio files on PS2 discs

I'm assuming this is a multichannel file.

found one on a Gitarooman Disc i was trying to rip the audio from, but i guess it aint gunna happen, managed to run and rip the PSS's though

There's nowhere I can't reach.
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:22 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2007, 06:22 PM #27 of 62
I'm trying to extract the music from Nano Breaker and I keep getting little clicks and pops, is there any solution for this? I get the same problem with Ruff Trigger, every other game I've tested works fine.

Also, is there any news on PS3 extraction yet? Is there even a way to mount blu ray discs?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Jaboon
Chocobo

Member 23285

Level 10.44

Jul 2007

Old Jul 16, 2007, 08:17 PM #28 of 62
Thanks for posting this. I've wanted to rip the music from "Summoner" on the PS2 for a long time.

I'm still a little confused though. Could someone just give me general directions on how to rip the music from Summoner.

Such as..

Step 1 Download this
Step 2 convert
Step 3 whatever

You don't need to be specific, I just need some general directions. I'll figure the rest out on my own. Thanks again.

Most amazing jew boots
Kimkalisto
Banned

Member 23155

Level 5.67

Jul 2007

Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:51 PM #29 of 62
Hey guys im trying to rip the UMD of at worlds end on PSP and it works just like a PS2 disc, i guess because its sony, So now i have to set the interleave stuff for the music.

Okay guys my PSP game is sounding pretty good with cube media player as the files are ADPCM but im still getting a little bit of static in the left channel.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Kimkalisto; Jul 25, 2007 at 11:54 PM.
ezra
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 25321

Level 1.00

Oct 2007

Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:49 AM #30 of 62
hey i used fmv tool gigahersz but when i try to play the .mpg file... it can't!
(i used the k-lite codec pack..)does it need the new codec?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
lengleng

Member 26157

Level 1.00

Nov 2007

Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:44 PM #31 of 62
have any riped sound effect from KH?

FELIPE NO
Killy
Xmd5a

Member 324

Level 27.07

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2007, 03:06 PM Local time: Nov 12, 2007, 09:06 PM 2 1 #32 of 62
have any riped sound effect from KH?
Have any fucking taught you any English?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
CGardiner
Death

Member 26761

Level 1.00

Dec 2007

Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:03 AM Local time: Dec 4, 2007, 03:03 PM #33 of 62
could someone attach cube media player as mines dosent work and i cant download it ive already got the key so just the Program is fine

Jam it back in, in the dark.
SpinNewYasha

Member 26942

Level 1.02

Dec 2007

Old Dec 12, 2007, 03:51 AM Local time: Dec 12, 2007, 12:51 AM #34 of 62
Ripping Music from Dance Summit 2001

I'm trying to rip the audio (sfx, narrator dialogue, and music/BGM) from the following game: SLPM 62029, Bust a Move: Dance Summit 2001 (a.k.a. the Japan-only Bust a Groove 3).

Most of the sfx + narrator dialogue that I have found on the disc are stored in *.vb files, and can be scanned with PSound. However, after conversion, they needed to be speed corrected because they were in slow-mo/half speed.

My main trouble is with the BGM. The files of each individual song (including the remixes) are in *.IVB format, which is apparently the first encountered in any PS2 game?? PSound does not recognize *.IVBs. They could be scanned and played in both MFAudio and Cube Media Player as Raw Compressed ADPCMs, but on playback and conversion, the songs are stuttery and distorted. I have found no ideal interleave and/or offset value to make them sound normal.

I am mainly ripping the remix versions, as the OST with the regular versions is available on CD. Any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Rew
Syklis Green

Member 19131

Level 8.78

Feb 2007

Old Dec 12, 2007, 08:34 PM 1 #35 of 62
I'm not trying to rip music or do anything fancy--all I'm trying to do is to listen to the audio files on a certain PS2 game (Mega Man X8). I inserted the disc into my laptop and used Cube Media Player to scan it, and it came up with a bunch of audio files. When I tried to play one, however, an entire log of error messages showed up. So I guess my question is, how do I simply play the audio files? (I also tried reading the first post in this thread but honestly couldn't make much sense of it. =P) Thanks!

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2007, 05:00 AM Local time: Dec 16, 2007, 03:00 AM #36 of 62
I'm not trying to rip music or do anything fancy--all I'm trying to do is to listen to the audio files on a certain PS2 game (Mega Man X8). I inserted the disc into my laptop and used Cube Media Player to scan it, and it came up with a bunch of audio files. When I tried to play one, however, an entire log of error messages showed up. So I guess my question is, how do I simply play the audio files? (I also tried reading the first post in this thread but honestly couldn't make much sense of it. =P) Thanks!
If you get nothing but error messages and don't hear anything then it probably doesn't work with Cube. There might be a solution but fuck if I find it, I don't have the game. Though if I recall, someone ripped it back when it came out with PSound, you might try using that instead. Or you could, uh, download the MMX8 OST and save yourself the trouble.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
gtagamer

Member 25420

Level 1.00

Oct 2007

Old Dec 16, 2007, 01:37 PM #37 of 62
I am trying to rip music from The fast and The Furious and I have no idea whats going wrong, I insert the cd in my comp load up cube, have it scan and then it tell me to "insert disk"? :/ what am I doing wrong?

Rew
Syklis Green

Member 19131

Level 8.78

Feb 2007

Old Dec 16, 2007, 04:14 PM #38 of 62
If you get nothing but error messages and don't hear anything then it probably doesn't work with Cube. There might be a solution but fuck if I find it, I don't have the game. Though if I recall, someone ripped it back when it came out with PSound, you might try using that instead. Or you could, uh, download the MMX8 OST and save yourself the trouble.
Yup, already have the OST downloaded! Trouble is, Capcom (in contrast to X4 and X7) didn't bother to include the music from the FMV cutscenes--unfortunate, since the music in X8's FMVs is vastly superior to any other FMV music in the series. What I was trying to do was to dig into the game to see if by chance the music in the FMVs was at all separate from the sound effects, voice over, etc.

Would you happen to know where that PSound rip of X8 is (if he/she included the FMV music in the rip)?

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:19 PM Local time: Dec 16, 2007, 08:19 PM #39 of 62
Yup, already have the OST downloaded! Trouble is, Capcom (in contrast to X4 and X7) didn't bother to include the music from the FMV cutscenes--unfortunate, since the music in X8's FMVs is vastly superior to any other FMV music in the series. What I was trying to do was to dig into the game to see if by chance the music in the FMVs was at all separate from the sound effects, voice over, etc.

Would you happen to know where that PSound rip of X8 is (if he/she included the FMV music in the rip)?
I don't have the rip, but if I remember correctly, it only had the level themes (I could very well be wrong though). PS2 movies are usually in PSS format which you can simply drag and drop into cube, and it is a standard format so there shouldn't be any problems. Although I doubt you'll be able to find them without vocals, developers tend to leave them attached to the background music for some reason. The only other video format I've seen on PS2 is bink which you can open with bink media player.
I am trying to rip music from The fast and The Furious and I have no idea whats going wrong, I insert the cd in my comp load up cube, have it scan and then it tell me to "insert disk"? :/ what am I doing wrong?
Time to get a new drive.

FELIPE NO
Rew
Syklis Green

Member 19131

Level 8.78

Feb 2007

Old Jan 8, 2008, 07:56 PM #40 of 62
Time to get a new drive.
Actually, I'm now experiencing the same problem he was. I have the disc in my drive, and Cube Media Player only tells me "Please insert disc." Yet the laptop computer I'm using is quite new--only a few months old--along with the disc drive. And I know there's nothing wrong with the drive. In fact, earlier tonight I was looking at files from this same disc. Now all of a sudden it's just not registering. Has CMP messed up the drive somehow?

Also, I tried to use CMP to open some files, but when I highlighted the disc drive (which did indeed come up the first time), everything grayed out. Now the drive doesn't come up at all.

Anyone know what's wrong with my copy of CMP??

EDIT: Since I'm having nothing but trouble with CMP (and since any online help through the service itself is out of the question since the CMP site no longer exists--or at least only exists in Japanese, which I don't speak), is there another program I can use to extract audio from PS2 discs? Thanks!

Last edited by Rew; Jan 8, 2008 at 08:04 PM.
Prime Blue
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1319

Level 20.41

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2008, 02:14 PM Local time: Jan 9, 2008, 08:14 PM #41 of 62
Post the file structure here, either take a screenshot of the disc's contents or write them down.
Also, what error messages did you get? MPEG2 flag errors? Buffer stuff?

It's a lot harder to figure out what the problem is when we have next to no information.

Rew
Syklis Green

Member 19131

Level 8.78

Feb 2007

Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:55 AM #42 of 62
Post the file structure here, either take a screenshot of the disc's contents or write them down.
Also, what error messages did you get? MPEG2 flag errors? Buffer stuff?

It's a lot harder to figure out what the problem is when we have next to no information.
(You sound annoyed.)

At any rate, I resolved the particular problems of two nights ago by downloading PSS Plex. The thing worked like a dream! So I was able to demultiplex the PSS files (i.e. the movie files) into sound and video. I was able to do that on X Collection, X7, and X8. (Sadly, my hunch on X8 was confirmed: In the audio for the movies, there is no separation at all between music, voices, and SFX. )

Now I'm trying to move on to other sound file types and am running into other issues. Basically, in the Mega Man X Collection for PS2, all of the games in the collection, as well as the launcher and other things, are subdivided by folder. In the folder for each game and the launcher is a folder for sound (sometimes abbreviated "SND"), with two of the following files: "X_BGM.BIN" and "X_SE.BIN"--in other words the background music and sound effects for that game. I want to open the .BIN files for the BGM. I could go into great detail on all the problems I've run into, but before I do that, does anyone have any recommendations for how they normally open these kinds of .BIN files?

I first tried Daemon, which from what I hear is supposed to "trick" your computer into thinking the .bin file is another drive on the computer once it's mounted onto Daemon. Well, I mounted it, but nothing doing. The error message I received when I tried to open the "drive" was "Windows cannot access this disc drive." (Maybe it's because I have Vista?) Next up was PAKthis from hcs's site, but I couldn't even get the thing to install. (I double-clicked the .exe file, and something came up for a split-second then disappeared. That was it.)

Then I turned to MagicISO. But it couldn't do anything with the .bin. I tried extracting it, but all that did was to put the file in another place on my computer, but it was still an unusable .bin file. My attempts at actually opening the .bin file was met with an error message that said, "Can't find the file or file isn't CD image file!"

So either I'm using the programs wrong or I'm using the wrong programs. I'll provide more detail or even screenshots if needed, but I guess what I'm wondering is how some of you go about opening such files when you encounter them? (Note: There were no .cue files on the X Collection disc that I could see.) Thanks.

Prime Blue
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1319

Level 20.41

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:42 AM Local time: Jan 10, 2008, 05:42 PM #43 of 62
(You sound annoyed.)
Nah, I was not. It was just the complete absence of emoticons that made it seem that way.
Peace to you.
(no one uses that shit, they have my sympathies)

Now I'm trying to move on to other sound file types and am running into other issues. Basically, in the Mega Man X Collection for PS2, all of the games in the collection, as well as the launcher and other things, are subdivided by folder. In the folder for each game and the launcher is a folder for sound (sometimes abbreviated "SND"), with two of the following files: "X_BGM.BIN" and "X_SE.BIN"--in other words the background music and sound effects for that game. I want to open the .BIN files for the BGM. I could go into great detail on all the problems I've run into, but before I do that, does anyone have any recommendations for how they normally open these kinds of .BIN files?
Chances are that those are archives in which the individual instruments and sound effects are packed. It could be that the X_BGM.BIN are streamed files (also packed or renamed), and if it was developed by Capcom, it could be ADXs. In any case, use PSound for analysis.

I first tried Daemon, which from what I hear is supposed to "trick" your computer into thinking the .bin file is another drive on the computer once it's mounted onto Daemon. Well, I mounted it, but nothing doing. The error message I received when I tried to open the "drive" was "Windows cannot access this disc drive." (Maybe it's because I have Vista?) Next up was PAKthis from hcs's site, but I couldn't even get the thing to install. (I double-clicked the .exe file, and something came up for a split-second then disappeared. That was it.)

Then I turned to MagicISO. But it couldn't do anything with the .bin. I tried extracting it, but all that did was to put the file in another place on my computer, but it was still an unusable .bin file. My attempts at actually opening the .bin file was met with an error message that said, "Can't find the file or file isn't CD image file!"

So either I'm using the programs wrong or I'm using the wrong programs. I'll provide more detail or even screenshots if needed, but I guess what I'm wondering is how some of you go about opening such files when you encounter them? (Note: There were no .cue files on the X Collection disc that I could see.) Thanks.
You're using the wrong programs. As suggested above, the BIN files are no ISOs but rather archives, so a virtual drive will not help you there, because it can't read the file structure.

Mmh... Maybe you don't know: ISOs or CD/DVD images are ... Wikipedia can explain that better.
BIN is a file extension commonly used for a lot of different purpose, among them, also disk images. But you will of course not find any disk images on your disc - that would be...a disc on a disc, thus redundant. I hope you understand the explanation, as it's not very easy to make it clear to non-technophiles.

Bottom line: Use PSound. My guess is you'll find instruments.
If you want to see if music is streamed (e.g. MP3) or sequenced (e.g. MIDI), open the disc drive of your console while the game plays the song. If it's sequenced, the music will keep playing. If it's streamed (or an FMV) the music will stop and you'll probably see a message to put the disc back in (that's because streamed data is steadily read from the disc).

Rew
Syklis Green

Member 19131

Level 8.78

Feb 2007

Old Jan 10, 2008, 06:16 PM #44 of 62
(Wow, I think that's the first time I've seen those two "emoticons" used--and a very good usage they were too!)

But anyway, this is getting very interesting! PSound worked in that it finally cracked open the .BIN file for the music and let me listen to each piece. The interesting part, though, is that each track was duplicated (I'm assuming one for the right speaker, one for the left speaker) and the music quality was not what it is in the actual game--it's much slower, has a deeper pitch, and sounds like it's being played in a tin can.

Any way to fix that? (I played around with it a bit in Audacity after converting a couple tracks to WAV format, but I couldn't get far in there.)

But aren't you glad, Prime, that I'm finally learning this stuff on my own instead of pestering people to rip stuff for me all the time?

EDIT: Actually, I found out bitrate was the problem. So I adjusted the bitrate in PSound, and now it's playing at the right speed. However, it still sounds like it's playing in a tin can. So to resolve that, I opened both track duplicates up in Audacity on top of each other, set one all the way to the left, the other all the way to the right. It's sounding good so far!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Rew; Jan 10, 2008 at 07:00 PM.
Prime Blue
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1319

Level 20.41

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2008, 09:54 PM Local time: Jan 11, 2008, 03:54 AM #45 of 62
EDIT: Actually, I found out bitrate was the problem. So I adjusted the bitrate in PSound, and now it's playing at the right speed. However, it still sounds like it's playing in a tin can. So to resolve that, I opened both track duplicates up in Audacity on top of each other, set one all the way to the left, the other all the way to the right. It's sounding good so far!
Copy and paste the BIN file on your harddrive. Scan this single file with CubeMediaPlayer. Check ADPCM, SS2 and ADX, though I think it's probably ADX.

Also, post a sample file. Or maybe the whole BIN.

SpinNewYasha

Member 26942

Level 1.02

Dec 2007

Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:03 PM Local time: Jan 14, 2008, 08:03 PM #46 of 62
I have a somewhat stupid question, and I'd be grateful to anyone who knows the answer: Is there a definite difference between a sound with the interleave set too low and the interleave set too high?

This question applies to either MFAudio or Cube Media Player.

If I had this information, I could at least set a bearing as to the correct interleave value for the PS2 music I'm trying to extract.

gingiejames

Member 32046

Level 1.00

Oct 2008

Old Oct 23, 2008, 03:25 AM Local time: Oct 23, 2008, 09:25 AM 1 #47 of 62
right, can i just point out u all seem to be able play the sound through a media player of some sort correct?

why not just record the sound playing through the media player using a program called "Audacity"???

FELIPE NO
DigitalGyspy
Wark!

Member 34694

Level 1.00

Oct 2009

Old Oct 26, 2009, 07:29 PM #48 of 62
Same Problem

I've got the same problem.
I've got a couple games that has music that I'm quite fond of.

Tak and the Power of Juju
Tak 2 staff of Dream
Tak 3 the great Juju Challenge
Dark Angel Vampire Apocolypse

I've been looking for a way to get the music for a long time. Please help.

Take what you can...Give nothing Back
VividDistortion
Wark!

Member 34863

Level 1.00

Nov 2009

Old Nov 24, 2009, 02:09 PM #49 of 62
SBR???

I was trying to rip the music from the game just like you said, but all the files are in "sbr" format... I've never even heard of that, nor do I know any way to convert it... does anyone else?

Slegiar
Wark!

Member 34881

Level 1.00

Nov 2009

Old Nov 29, 2009, 01:19 AM #50 of 62
hello all, i've been trying to rip the sound effects from Dawn of Mana. partially succeded, in that with PSound i got a list of somwhere over 8000 files out of the .bin files. problem is almost none of those files are over 3 seconds at the most. i also ran the disk through cube media, and while finding the video files, i can't figure out how to export them, and as i expected, got the mpeg errors. so to run a long story short, i'll cut to the quick. what should i do next? again, i'm trying to get sound effects like menu sounds, battle sounds, etc.

EDIT: forgot to mention. for the sound files i've gotten, most of what they consist of are clicks, beeps, and various other infintesimally small segments of a sound

EDIT 2: okay, figured out how to export video, but no sound. any tips?

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > HOW TO: rip music, sound effects, or movies from PS1 & PS2 games