Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

guide to setting up an ftp server in linux?

Petra
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 14422

Level 2.25

Oct 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 03:36 PM #1 of 5
guide to setting up an ftp server in linux?

I have webhosting with a very fast connection and an absurd amount of bandwidth.

I'd like to set up a server similar to the way people have done for windows here, but I have absolutely no clue how to go about it.

essential things:
account where people can upload but not delete/move anything
account where people can download but not delete/move anything

things I'd like:
the "wildcard" username system that's used on most servers here; ie you log in with your username + a password I define

anyone have any clue how to go about that with either proftpd (preferred) or pure-ftpd? any alternatives? any way I can get a GUI'd server running, and if so, how do I access it? (I normally just use SSH/putty)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
SbCl3
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 2396

Level 3.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 04:29 PM #2 of 5
I second this; I have tried configuring proftpd before, but it is too difficult for me to figure out, and there are not any step-by-step guides out there.

Most amazing jew boots
amhso
Carob Nut

Member 1725

Level 4.94

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 01:28 AM Local time: Dec 5, 2006, 11:28 PM #3 of 5
read about sftp. google it? it's very secure and is a good sort of basic way to host a ftp server. rssh and ftp as well. just google it. "sftp linux". I'm not exactly sure how my friend assisted me in setting it up, but now i have a full time ftp at home.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
flute+picc+guitar+alto/tenor sax+clarinet = me
blog- http://likeamusical.wordpress.com
Please consider the Online Orchestra Project

Aquas
Oh, Nall...

Member 4590

Level 13.98

Apr 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 03:10 AM Local time: Dec 6, 2006, 02:10 AM #4 of 5
Serv-U is pretty easy to use. It's a Rhinosoft program I believe.

Doesn't use the "wildcard system"

I've been using it for years.

Correction: yeah I think tenseiken is right. *points below*

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
In your dreams, magical thoughts
All things are real, unless you dream they're not

Last edited by Aquas; Dec 6, 2006 at 02:21 PM.
tenseiken
Syklis Green

Member 532

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2006, 03:37 AM #5 of 5
Don't believe there is a Linux version of Serv-U.

I'm afraid I can't offer any help on this. My Linux knowledge is pretty limited.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > guide to setting up an ftp server in linux?